1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

chainsaw porting

Discussion in 'General' started by r6fast, Sep 18, 2018.

1. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

You can make a quick and dirty one if you don't mind sacrificing an old chain. Just file/grind the teeth to a 10-15* angle, and completely grind off every 2nd tooth. Doesn't work as good as purpose made ripping chain, but works way better than stand chain designed for crosscutting.

2. renegade17

renegade17 Well-Known Member

Anyone have a picture of their ripping setups? I bought a Granberg and a ripping chain for my saw just have been trying to figure out the slickest way to get a good first cut.

3. Cam Morehead

Cam Morehead Husband, Dad, Racer

Planking went out years ago....... :D

4. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

My buddy just uses 2 2x10s about 14' long shimmed and screwed into the log. Really easy to get them coplaner, and it's pretty much all you need to get the first cut started. After that it just rides on the already cut surface. I've seen guy used ladders before and that looked like a pretty slick way to go. I know I got a picture somewhere on my phone

5. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

Thank you OP, I was working on a crap day when I saw the thread title....all is right in the world again.

6. Unicorn seemam creates even more hp than adding stickers to it.

7. Resident Plarp

Resident Plarp drittsekkmanufacturing.com

That’s one way of doing it. Otherwise, you can cut slits into the muffler and bend them in a way that pushes exhaust gases forward.

It provides the kind of power only found in gallons of unicorn spooge.

Skrawny likes this.
  8. Dits

Dits Will shit in your fort.

I saw the thread title yesterday and knew exactly where it going to go... so I didn't open it until now.

Did not disappoint.

9. fast steve

fast steve Well-Known Member

No it’s not the biggest saw Husky makes the 3120 is which is 120 cc his is a 80 cc . I run a 288 which is 88 cc’s, they also make a 90cc. Husqvarna is the only one that uses the last two numbers of their model as their cc. Johnson read uses the first two numbers. Just for your info. I’ve been running a saw for 35 years. And our local Husqvarna dealer is the first Husqvarna dealer in North America.

10. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

<Back from the dead>
    OK. However, the "they" referred to was NOT directed at Husqvarna. And its "Jonesred". (Running a saw for 45 years; also had a Husky 250 WR that dated to 1972 as well, so there). :beer:

Last edited: Feb 15, 2022
  11. This reminds me that I need to order a new piston for one of mine, I got a bit greedy with the jetting being an idiot with a saw with too much compression. Well that and was too lazy to swap jets when I only had access to 89 octance.