1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What happened..

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by RZ Racer, Jul 18, 2018.

1. craig641

craig641 Well-Known Member

Maybe at a venue that AHRMA and others don't race at, e.g. Road Atlanta? No need to try to mx or any of the other off road stuff. WERA does a lot of things better than the other organizations and could definitely build a vintage only event that would have the same status that Stan is talking about. These keystone events aren't being deluted, the regular series events are.

VFR#52 likes this.
  2. STAN LIPERT

STAN LIPERT Well-Known Member

Atlanta Vintage Fest sounds great. Full race program with modern bikes too.
    I would suggest a ride-in bike show sponsored by the local Cafe-Hipster club, let them do the legwork. Lunch time track ride could be a great incentive to attract new racers. Distinguished Gentlemen?
    Bike concours. Old Bike Barn did this for Mid-O, they did a great job. $20 show entry fee paid for sound system and trophy's. I would ask Dime City, as well.
    Swap meet can be hosted and run by a similar club/vendor. Free space, just gate fee?
    Invite vendor spaces, low cost. WERA pockets gate fee from spectators.
    Pay for a Grand Marshall? Get them on-track? Dave Aldana? How about local hero Bryan Fuller?
    Mini bike race in paddock?

No need for dirt track or motocross.

VFR#52 likes this.
  3. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Way too much money to gamble on something like that. If the track wanted to do it and have us put on the races that would be great and what AHRMA does with some of their big events if not all of them.

4. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Possible sure, but who pays the 20-30 grand for advertising and extra stuff you need on top of the 20k plus per day track rental? That's just a guess too as I'm sure the track would want a larger amount if we're using more space and facilities. Then what happens if it rains and no one shows?

Like I said above, I would absolutely love to do it and we could absolutely pull it off - but we don't have the money needed to take that gamble, especially at a track as expensive as Road Atlanta.

5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

It would absolutely kick ass though :D

6. STAN LIPERT

STAN LIPERT Well-Known Member

FYI:
    I asked a friend of mine, Tyler Malinky from Lowbrow Customs. He and his partners put on the successful Fuel show in Cleveland.
    He has 4 sponsors, who pay him a set rate of $3K per sponsor. This pays for signage, online ads, fliers, print postcards.

VFR#52 likes this.
  7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

That would be a great start for sure.

8. Harry V. III

Harry V. III Well-Known Member

My first thought was RA also. Spring event not to conflict with Barber. Plenty of room for a swap meet which attracts more people than racing. The track would have to promote the event. Maybe get the AMA involved? Make it a 2 race championship with Mid Ohio, run same classes. Manufacturer's would have to promote and participate as well.

Would take a ton of money and work but could be big !

VFR#52 likes this.
  9. KawH1R

KawH1R Well-Known Member

Harry, you have a PM.

10. CharlieY

CharlieY Well-Known Member

Interesting proposal Stan.....I'd be in for sure.

Fuller and crew had a "booth / area" set up for the AMA races a few years back, as well as several others....I'm pretty sure Ricky Gadsen had some sort of Kawi area.....Caffeine and Octane presence? Dime City was there.

Hey Stan, how did AHRMA's Vintage fest deal at NJMP work out? does it still happen?

Sean, if you ever do consider this, I could get you in touch with Fuller if you dont know him already. He also knows several local Show Promoters in ATL, car show stuff....his car show down in Jekyl seems to be a big hit....I worked it the first year but missed last year.

I'm also a member of a couple local brit bike clubs. Granted they are the, lets say, "Traditional" guys (old :))....but then there is the terminus group too.

Ron Raven's program for that little extra....????

Bill Browns group?

Middleton and Yamaha somehow?

Stan Lipert engine building / machining seminar?......Fuller and Prosser do Lincoln Eletcric Welding demos? They also have their own 1 day steel and 1 day alum welding seminars.

I'd help where I could Sean. There's alot of possible help right here in ATL.

Vintage Weekend at Road Atlanta.....yeah.....If WERA aint running it someone should!

VFR#52 likes this.
  11. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

We should call it the 2 wheeled Mitty! Sounds like a good time.... I would be in for sure....

12. JBall

JBall REALLY senior member

Just a random question here. How many races count for the vintages titles this year? 4, 6, 27?

13. VFR#52

VFR#52 Well-Known Member

Depends on class. V6 Lw down is 4 of best finishes
    V6 Hw up to V8 HW 6 best finishes count.
    Going to be interesting who gets the V7 MW crown as dont think anyone has run a full season in class.
    Only 1 guy up North has that im aware of and if he shows at GNF and crosses finish line he is crowned.
    So we shall see.

Steven

14. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I thought I changed it back to 6 for everyone since all of the classes have a lot of opportunities for points now with double headers.

15. VFR#52

VFR#52 Well-Known Member

16. Dyle

Dyle Glad its a new year!!

I made it out this season after 7yrs away because of my heart attack and by pass surgery. Didn't see but like 5 vintage bikes at Road Atl. and 3 where V7mw.

VFR#52 likes this.
  17. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

AHRMA was at Talladega so it's not a normal turnout.

Dyle likes this.
  18. lanehammond

lanehammond Well-Known Member

I’m out of v7 sadly collar bone surgery is expensive.. got the v8 gsxr all band aided up see you guys in February

Wheel Bearing and Dyle like this.