1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

next step from crf50 for kids

Discussion in 'General' started by svracer22, Sep 16, 2018.

1. svracer22

svracer22 Well-Known Member

My two girls (8 & 9) are starting to show some interest in riding. If this was a few years ago it would have been a no-brainer, but now they are too big for the 50cc bikes. Looks like the crf110 or ttr110 are the next step up but may be a little big. Also looking to buy something used. Bike recommendations for trail riding and kiddie tracks?

2. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

Good luck finding one. My '89 looks almost this good.

1986_YSR50.jpg

G 97 and zrx12man like this.
  3. BrianC636

BrianC636 Well-Known Member

TTR90 or take the 50 and upgrade it to a CRF70 type platform

BigBird likes this.
  4. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

The transmission will be a big factor. Clutch or no?

StaccatoFan likes this.
  5. deepsxepa

deepsxepa Hazardous

XR100R/CRF .

6. Knotcher

Knotcher Well-Known Member

This is the aggravating gap in Moto for kids. The 100/110 suck just like the 4t 50s. The 50sx and 50tc are maintenance whores and expensive plus the kid doesn't want to lose the transmission.

I'm hoping he's big enough for a yz65 next summer.

7. zrx12man

zrx12man Captain Amazing

I moved my kid from an XR50/88 to a KX65. It was a big jump and took a lot of coaching to make it happen successfully, but it's a pretty bulletproof bike plus it's a real racebike, not a toy like a CRF100.

8. Busa or CR 500 :). Trans or no strand shifting? Ie clutch or no?

TurboBlew, crashman and zrx12man like this.
  9. zrx12man

zrx12man Captain Amazing

Great choice! I LOVED my YSR. We still have my kid's NSR50R as well, what a great bike. I'm not sure there is a better RR teaching tool for kids than stock NSR racing. Too bad there's always a bunch of "tools" trying to cheat by adding power to a 7hp bike.
    We used to troll people in the paddock in the local Canadian series by laying out some obvious "cheater" parts on the table in our pits (flat slide carb, carbon reeds, ECU, etc.) poorly covered with towels and act like I was working feverishly on the bike between sessions and quickly cover things up when anyone came over, trying to draw a protest. Our real secret weapon was 3-4 practice days a week for 6 months leading up to the Canadian National race in 2010. Truth is, I made the kid race for 3 months with a blown head gasket and told him I'd fix it after he won 3 races in a row. Fond memories of good times on a brilliant little bike.

YamahaRick likes this.
  10. deepsxepa

deepsxepa Hazardous

see keyword "and":

I say XR100R because, well, XR100R but I had a YSR for a short time, long enough to put team calamari triples and swingarm and a CR125 engine in it, it would make the speedo go back to zero LOL but TBH, had more fun on nearly bone stock XR100s on kart tracks, backyard ovals, etc. they really cant be beat. just sayin'

and starting a kid on a road bike, they will miss critical skills that off road provides and at a critical time to learn them.

badmoon692008 and pscook like this.
  11. kevinr

kevinr Well-Known Member

If they’re too big for the 50s then they will fit fine on the 110 4 stroke. We went to the 110 (TTR) last year and it was a simple transition.

It only lasted one season though and now we’re on a KTM 65sx. If this happens with your kids you’ll appreciate the KTM weighs 44lbs lighter than any of the 110s.

12. Kyle Brosius

Kyle Brosius Well-Known Member

I second the kx65 or even a kx85 if you think they can handle it. You can always tame them down with sprocket selection until they get used to them. I am 240 and have a kx85 with the smallest front and biggest rear sprocket they make. That thing will do 4th gear wheelies with me sitting on the gas tank when it hits power band. When I first got it it was tamed down with sprockets and would barely drag my fat ass up a hill in second gear.

13. joec

joec brace yourself

Xr80?

14. gpstar748

gpstar748 Well-Known Member

Ohvale GP-0 if you’re going the roadracing route

www.risemoto.com

WERA members get a free front stand with purchase of a new bike :)

Phl218 and DDK732 like this.
  15. SpeedWerks Racing

SpeedWerks Racing Well-Known Member

16. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

Do the girls have any riding experience?

17. RTD

RTD Well-Known Member

I went from a 50 to an KX 65, in my experience it was a big mistake, my kid could not get comfortable on it and was scared of it, I took a step back and put him on a KLX110L (clutch model) for us it was a way better option.

beechkingd likes this.
  18. DDK732

DDK732 Well-Known Member

I checked these out at NJ. A bit pricey but looks like the perfect road racer for the kids. Both of my kids are on CRF 50s now and I'm thinking to get one of these in the near future.

19. Cam Morehead

Cam Morehead Husband, Dad, Racer

20. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

Where ya located?

I have a '00 DS80 that would be the perfect upgrade, son out grew it.