1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pulling a 6-7K lb boat from water using Honda Pilot.

Discussion in 'General' started by pefrey, Sep 10, 2018.

?

Will the Pilot do the job

1. Yes

10 vote(s)
    20.8%
  2. No

14 vote(s)
    29.2%
  3. Probably yes

15 vote(s)
    31.3%
  4. Probably no

9 vote(s)
    18.8%
  1. Woofentino Pugr

Woofentino Pugr Well-Known Member

Just borrow a real truck/suv.

But then again I have seen a late 70's vette towing a 19' ski boat. :confused:

2. mpusch

mpusch Well-Known Member

Tow my 6x12 trailer with a 2010 4WD Pilot. Weighs about 3k loaded up without issue.

We also used it to pull my FIL's boat and trailer for a few miles. Not sure what it weighed, but it was definitely more than my normal trailer. Had no issues launching and pulling back up the ramp. I wouldn't do it on a consistent basis, but I'd think you could get by...

3. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

Plus if you sink it it's not your problem. :D

4. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

I had a 2011 Pilot. Underpowered as it was not towing anything. I’m gonna say I’m not a fan of this proposed solution. But if you’re comfortable with it. So be it.

5. BHP41

BHP41 Calling out B.A.N. everyday

When I read the thread title the first time I had two thoughts.
    1) Gotta be a fail thread
    2) ‘Dis gon be good

6. sdiver

sdiver Well-Known Member

Can? AWD yes. FWD no. Assuming you have AWD since the AWD is required to have >3500lb rating on the Pilot.

Should...no.

7. JBowen33

JBowen33 Only fast on Facebook

Just send it! Lol. If I were you I would have another vehicle hooked to the front of mine at least the first time to see if the vehicle can do it in the first place. This way you won’t get drug into the water if the boat is to heavy and if it can’t do it you can still get it out of the water

I had a guy with an s10 in front of me one time at the launch not be able to get his boat out of the water. So for the cheap price of the extra beer he had I pulled it for him.... so moral is being extra beer lol

8. Call up Larry and send it.

cha0s#242 likes this.
  9. Then you have a YouTube video of your bumper and other front end parts being pulled off to recoup your damages.

10. JBowen33

JBowen33 Only fast on Facebook

I never said it was the best plan geeze lol

11. I’m encouraging it, I want to see the video :)

Phl218, TLR67, Steady T and 1 other person like this.
  12. rocalotopus

rocalotopus thick member

no garage = no bike.

no truck = no boat.

7 miles is plenty of time for something to go wrong, especially when you're on a public road with other people.

ps, what will you do when it doesn't work? call in some backup?

13. shakazulu12

shakazulu12 Well-Known Member

I'm changing my vote to "Yes" but only if there is 4k gopro footage of the attempt.

ineedanap and Knotcher like this.
  14. pefrey

pefrey Well-Known Member

If it doesn't work I'll laugh at my friend and tell him the beeb called it. All will be on video.

Sorry folks, he's going to rent a pickup. Thinking being along the lines of, it will do it but it will put a lot of strain on the driveline.

15. gixxerboy55

gixxerboy55 Well-Known Member

Good call.

16. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Pussy.

:D

17. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Damn! Off to YouTube. I’ve got a serious case of internet fail blue balls.

18. joec

joec brace yourself

That's what the insurance is for. And phone cameras

19. pefrey

pefrey Well-Known Member

LOL he has been reading the replies and is quite amused. He has AAA, there must be a way to tap into that if everything goes sideways, or backwards for that matter. I'm thinking top of the Pilot facing backwards for the GoPro.

20. That’s definitely something to consider. Watch out for places water can get trapped.

Assuming that is fresh water, it weighs 8.3lbs/gal. That can add up quickly. That’s why we use large water bags for load testing things (cranes etc) offshore.

When you are that close to (and actually over) the limit, you have to think about other things not listed that add to the overall weight. A cooler with drinks and ice can add 50lbs, bag of tools can add 30lbs. Extra batteries, toys or fish, etc. Depending on the boat and it’s purpose, there could be an extra 1k lbs worth of shit not accounted for.

We also know they build a safety factor into all limits. So like others have said, in a one-time “I’ve just got to get this boat out this time, then I’ll...” it will probably do it. But it’s not a long term solution.