1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My First Training With Rickdiculous Racing - UMC West Track

Discussion in 'Race Reports' started by MurfSVR, Sep 6, 2018.

1. MurfSVR

MurfSVR Well-Known Member

I’m on my way home from two awesome days of training with the guys at Rickdiculous Racing. Big thanks to Ken Hill for his podcasts (khcoaching.com) which started me down this road in the first place.

To set the stage, I bought in to Ken’s methodology from the very first podcast. To me this was key to maximize my time over the two days. No time was spent clarifying what I was trying to describe to any of the coaches. When he says that this is how the best riders in the world ride and talk about how they do it, and (world champion) Scott Russell is among the excellent coaches (and just great guys) there to help you, it will sink in that this is no joke.

The coach who I spent the most time with was Pat who was great to work with. I mean how freaking cool is it that I got to work with and be filmed by Pat in the same way he’s worked with top MotoAmerica Supersport riders. Thank you for everything Pat.

The two other students (Tom, Mike) and I got to use the exact same bikes (R6’s) as JD Beach, Hayden Gillim, Jason Aguilar, etc. on Dunlop Q3’s when they train. The theory behind the tires is similar to racing mini’s. They put us a bit closer to the limit of grip so when we go back to slicks our feeling is magnified.

One of the most helpful parts of the experience was the car driving. It helped my brain digest how to add lean angle to the slowest point of the corner. With Ken sitting shotgun talking me through the turn in rate/timing and braking application - it accelerated my understanding of grip by YEARS. Well that and the two up ride with Ken was a real revelation for me. I really couldn’t believe the braking forces (it’s still calibrating). The carryover to the bike is unreal.

Adam was a gracious and generous host for all of us. On day two I got to do a session riding shotgun in Adam’s purpose built BMW race car which was stupid fast and reinforced everything I had been learning up to that point. Also, they now have full data recording on the R6’s. Adam talked me through an overlay of my lap compared to Ken’s. Guess what, the data doesn’t lie and Adam showed me how Ken’s slowest point of the corner was shorter than mine - and that he got to wide open throttle sooner. Which is why Ken’s lap was a 1:37 and mine was a 1:42. Big thanks to Adam for investing in the data equipment and for taking a personal interest in my riding. Your passion for riding was evident and motivating. (Also the breathing we talked about really did help me be more patient for the slowest point of the corner.)

I could go on and on about it but all I’ll say is, if you want to be fast - at any track - on any bike - go train with Ken.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

G2G, rsv4aprilla, jd41 and 10 others like this.
  2. APO2112

APO2112 Well-Known Member

What was the cost of everything to attend?

3. MurfSVR

For two days the cost was $3,000. I live far away from UMC so I had to pay for bike rental too which was $350 per day. I sold my street bike to cover most of it. Yea, it’s a lot of money but the long term nature of the investment is so worth it.

I promise you that Rickdiculous Racing lost money over the two days we were there. The instructor to student ratio was about 2 instructors to one student. The garage amenities were second to none. Not to mention the food-drinks and overall professional experience. It’s about providing the best environment a private track with the best coaching. It hit the wallet hard this year, I’m not a wealthy guy, but I’m so happy I did it.

Pat recorded video of every session we did and we reviewed or discussed every one.

Brian_J, G2G, TurboBlew and 5 others like this.
  4. MurfSVR

Mods - can you please move this thread to the general section? Thank you!

5. Prospect

Prospect Hayai

Thanks for the helpful feedback. Definitely considering signing up at some point.

To clarify, it was 3000 bike rental included?

MurfSVR likes this.
  6. MurfSVR

$3000+ bike rental

It should be said that I did a follow up call with Ken to prepare for my last race round. The objectives/report cards we discussed was focusing on my exit references and establishing that perfect exit drive feeling.

I watch my film every week and it brings me right back to some of the training points learned over two days.

DmanSlam and Prospect like this.
  7. MurfSVR

Just wanted to give an update on my experience with Ken Hill and Rickdiculous Racing. A few months later I’m still in communication with Ken and he’s provided top level, yet personal to me, guidance for my offseason training. I’d like to publicly say thank you Ken Hill and Rickdiculous Racing for helping me become a stronger rider, athlete and person. [emoji1364]

8. Mr. Slowpoke

Mr. Slowpoke Member

I'm getting ready to attend my first day with Rickdiculous Racing coming up in June. Glad to hear you came out of the training with so much more knowledge.

Is there any advice you have in preparation of my first day with them? Had you riden at UMC before this day?

MurfSVR likes this.
  9. DmanSlam

DmanSlam Well-Known Member

This is good and still relevant information. I spent my last track day (this past Sunday) thinking about these very things: turn-in rate, lines and finishing up my turns sooner. Those plus breathing.

A buddy took video of me and it was revealing. I could also see that he was executing those things better than me. But, with Shenny, almost every passing opportunity can be a sketchy one when speeds are close to equal. So, while his cornering times and time to full-throttle were quicker than mine, he (said he) wasn't able to come past me "safely". We were both on gix xer 600s, if that adds any context.

Real good stuff you posted here, @MurfSVR Thanks for sharing.

MurfSVR likes this.
  10. prm

prm Well-Known Member

Thanks for sharing. I need to attend a school in the spring. Probably Yamaha Champions due to east coast offerings. The Rick school looks interesting though.

MurfSVR likes this.