DC, B-more, and Philly peeps: Need travel advice

Discussion in 'General' started by pscook, Sep 8, 2018.

1. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

We are planning a family trip to Baltimore over Thanksgiving, with plans to visit DC and Philadelphia (birthplace of the US!), and would like some tips to make our adventure a little smoother sailing.

Itinerary: Fly red eye into Dulles Tuesday AM, hangout in DC Tuesday and Wednesday, travel to family in Baltimore (can't remember the specific 'burb) Thursday AM, then back to Dulles on Saturday for our return flight.

Wishes: Visit Philly on Wednesday, understanding that it's the day before T Day and travel will be all kinds of jacked.

Idea: take the train from DC to Philly (Which line? 86 or 182 NE Regional?) Wednesday AM, spend the day in the city, return to DC on the train later that night, or stay the night and travel to Baltimore on T Day (most likely). But looking at the train it's $500 round trip for all three of us, which is almost equal to airfare. Any other mass transit ideas? Yeah, likely a rental car is in our future.

Lodging help needed: Finding a hotel or neighborhood in both DC and Philadelphia where we won't get stabbed (at least without contributing to the actions, of course). Prefer near food or shopping/historical, if at all possible.

Food help needed: Good eats, all four meals of the day (double down on dinner or breakfast, that's how we roll :) ) for all three cities and surrounding environs.

Driving help needed: When I rent the car, what highways/tollways to avoid or what routes to take between cities?

Yes, it's a lot to ask, so thanks for your patience and suggestions.

2. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

On the food issue...good food or local traditions? Obviously try Pat's or Ginos in Philly if you want a cheese steak. Not saying they're the best, just the most traditional. Little Italy in B-more was my go to place. Favorite in DC was "Old Europe" on Wisconsin Ave for German food.

3. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

Plus one on Baltimore's Little Italy, and I've been all over Italy and NYC Little Italy. That's a nice little secret they've been keeping there.

4. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

Honestly, I’d skip Philly and spend two days in DC and then head to Baltimore. You’re not doing DC or Philly any favors by trying to see each city in one day.

Ducti89 and Yzasserina like this.
  5. joec

joec brace yourself

There's so much to do in DC you'll need the time. Only 2 ways to DC from Baltimore and they both suck at the wrong times. Udvar hazy gets my vote if you're going to drive down. 95 and the parkway. You can take rt1 but that blows. The commuter rail out of Penn station is 9 bucks each way and there's free street parking all around the train station. It dumps you at Union station and you can walk uber or city bike everywhere. Youll pay at least 25 bucks for the day to park in DC. The train is definitely worth it and they run like every 30 mins. Wear your walking shoes in DC. You will rack up the miles. Plan to only do a couple of museums a day. Or just wander the mouments. National gallery. Air and space. Holocaust museum. That's easily a full day.

Only tolls North of Baltimore except dulles toll road. The muter museum in Phili. Don't miss it if you like kind of thing. Simeon museum is super super cool too. Havent been to muter in 30 years but still one of the coolest places to check out.

Petes grill on Greenmount for breakfast. I think they have thier annual pancake day contest the Saturday after Thanksgiving.

Hampden has tons of good food now, a nice free skatepark for the kids. Just check on when the mayor's parade is happening that weekend. And since you'll be here for the season, check out the "miracle on 34th Street". Lol. All walkable just a few blocks.

Canton square in Canton is a little more bar/pub atmosphere. But nice. Snake hill tavern is our sausage bar in Highlandtown. The Mac and cheese is really good and the sausage is good too. Couple of local beers on tap and lots in the cooler.

Having lived in the north end in Boston, and growing up in Baltimore, the Italian neighborhood here sucks. Don't bother.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2018
  6. prospected

prospected Well-Known Member

Bring a gun, and extra mag ....

Razr, Sabre699 and Timothy Landon like this.
  7. joec

joec brace yourself

He's going to be hanging out in Hampden Canton and highland town. Haha...25 years ago those places were like the exit ramp they took In vacation when Clarke had to ask directions. Now it's fern bars, crossfit gyms microbreweries and yoga studios. Gross.

In all honestly, sounds like he has family here.

8. joec

joec brace yourself

95/295 between DC and Baltimore. 95 between Baltimore and Philly. Zipcar it.

9. Kyle Brosius

Kyle Brosius Well-Known Member

If you’re in philly you should check out Dalessandro's cheese steaks!! They are the real deal and not the typical touristy Pats and Gino’s. If you want fries the place across the street has awesome fries.

https://g.co/kgs/ZxhHdh

ZimZam likes this.
  10. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

In Philly take the orange line to Tasker-Morris and visit the Dolphin Tavern.

11. SuddenBraking

No fries, though. Easily solved by getting curly fries across the street at Chubby's but it's not the most convenient setup.

Signed,
    A Fatass

Kyle Brosius likes this.
  12. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

295 is great for making a fast trip between the 2.............I think I average about a 1 out of 20 for actually getting a commute without incident whether its a wednesday or sunday middle of the damn day. 295 always seemed fooked.......or at least everybody waits til I get on it to go 30 mph under the limit. The only nice thing I always liked about 295 was the view of Blobs Park after a snowfall. Gives you that false sense of being at a beer garden in bavaria:D

joec likes this.
  13. Vincent333

Vincent333 Member

I took the train last round trip from Baltimore to DC recently. The tickets were $18 dollars each way purchased at the Penn Station and Union Station. I'm not sure why you are see such expensive tickets. You can buy them on Amtrak's website as well. I renovated a very historic building directly across the street from Baltimore Penn Station and decorated with MotoGp art. Some of my family thought I was a little crazy with the art https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/229455...ts=1&children=0&infants=0&guests=1&s=Bntxg9Yy . Let me know if you need a place to stay. I'll give you a discount and I have other apartments in the same building. Baltimore is a cool spot.

14. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

You sure you wanna be traveling on Thanksgiving with such a tight itinerary?

SuddenBraking likes this.
  15. joec

joec brace yourself

Metroliner probably.

Light rail to DC was 9 bucks when I went last summer.

What street is your place on? My old shop was on Preston. Was there for 9 years.

16. backbone

backbone scarred for life

Nice place!!! I think it looks classy even for peeps that don't follow racing.

17. Vincent333

Vincent333 Member

I'm at 1625 Saint Paul, right in front of the station.

18. Vincent333

Vincent333 Member

Why thank you.

19. ZimZam

ZimZam Well-Known Member

Travel on 95 will be nothing but gridlock from PHL to B-Mo to DC. As much as I love Philly, I'd recommend sticking to DC/Balt for your holiday. Unless you dig taillights. Even the train will be a junk show.

20. SuddenBraking

What he said.