1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Damn millennials.....

Discussion in 'General' started by rd49, Aug 20, 2018.

1. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

But taking all those words to say it ruins the joke.... :D

FWIW I don't seriously think my IQ is 160, that was one test. Pretty sure I'm at 85-90 most days :D

2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Damn good point - high waisted mom jeans never ever looked good. There is plenty of photographic proof. Why in the hell would anyone choose to look like that?

Paige likes this.
  3. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

:crackup:

I got a Life in Hell book for Christmas in 85ish, good stuff :D

4. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

This probably the result of dealing with racers all the time. :D

5. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Are you seriously trying to apply logic to fashion? This must be one of the 85-90 days.

6. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

It is. Red eye in yesterday morning, slept a few hours. Got decent sleep last night but still got up kind of early to kick start my ass back to race mornings and east coast time. Brain is not functioning yet. Partly due to intake of good donuts but not enough coffee.

7. rwdfun

rwdfun

8. mpusch

mpusch Well-Known Member

I'd blame it on there not really being an advantage to it anymore. Plus, growing up there was basically no one in my friends or family (most of which aren't millennials) that had one I could learn on. First time learning was when I bought an old car off Craigslist and drove it away.

Fwiw, just got a new car last year and I had a hard requirement of it to be a manual. Wife can drive it too :)

9. tecknojoe

tecknojoe Well-Known Member

I blame cell phones, cup holders, and dual clutch transmissions

10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

cha0s#242 likes this.
  11. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

Funny timing. Currently looking for a fun little daily driver, and one of the requirements is that it has to be a manual. Wife is pissed because she won't be able to drive it. I said "That's kinda the point" lol :).

12. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

I used to be die hard manual, nearly every car I’d ever owned was one, except my Jeep GC and my van, since neither were available with one. But my next car purchase will probably be a sports car, and it’ll probably be an auto. They’re just so damn good anymore.

13. Dan Dubeau

All I ever owned were manuals, until my current truck, and my g6 before this. I know the new sport autos are good. Probably much better than me as a driver. For me it isn't about that (outright performance). It's about having a fun car and part of the fun for me is rowing through the gearbox.

fastfreddie likes this.
  14. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Yep...

15. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Yeah, but almost all have a manual mode that’s usually close enough for the few spirited drives when you want that feeling.

16. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

But none of them have a clutch pedal or a wiggly thing in the center console.

fastfreddie likes this.
  17. Dan Dubeau

It's about the clutch too. My truck has a manual mode. A rocker button on the gear stick. I use it in the winter, in conjunction with disabling the nanny shit to slide around and make sure the tranny holds a gear and doesn't shift up/down/up/down. Pushing buttons doesn't compare to being manually in control of the whole process to me. Night and day.

18. SGVRider

SGVRider Well-Known Member

This is the real reason. When I first moved to Los Angeles I HAD to have a 5 speed Camaro. I got it. Then I started driving it in Los Angeles traffic. It sucked ass. I got rid of it and got a Camry. Manual cars are dogshit in urban areas. I’d get one if I lived in the boondocks. Not much use for one now. My car is something that hauls things and gets me efficiently from A to B hopefully at minimal cost. I don’t give a fuck about enjoying it. Motorsickles and bicycles are for fun. My hard requirement for a car is that I easily be able to stick my 29er MTB in it with only the front wheel removed.

There’s zero advantage to a manual other than nostalgia and desire. When there’s no economic incentive shit goes away. It won’t be missed.

MachineR1 likes this.
  19. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

20. motoboy

motoboy Well-Known Member

I had a '49 Dodge Wayfarer with the Fluid Drive transmission. You could go either way after first gear. The problem was the defroster; It was just a pipe routed from the engine compartment directly to the inside of the windshield. Not good for air quality in the cabin... Damn pretty car, though.