1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RV Prices and Financing

Discussion in 'General' started by kiggy74, Sep 3, 2018.

1. Red Fox Racing

Red Fox Racing Age is only a number

Call RV Outlet in Detroit. We got a fantastic deal on our trailer....

panthercity likes this.
  2. kiggy74

kiggy74 As useful as an...

I'm looking for a travel trailer toy hauler ideally astound 35 ft. Keystone Impact, Heartland Torque, Jayco Octane or similar. Something with a garage separate from the living area, 9k lbs dry weight. Each of these MSRP in the mid-50s (what a joke).

3. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

I dont know how coachmen is doing, not my customer. But considering the general issues and the hershey show, I'd it them at 35-45% off MSRP. Maybe more if your talking about buying the actual show unit so they dont have to bring it back to the lot.

noles19 likes this.
  4. kiggy74

kiggy74 As useful as an...

Are you sure that's their name?

5. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

Some hints on buying a new 5th wheel at Hershey. Don't accept the show model unless you want one that 20,000 people and kids have walked through and touched everything. Don't accept the sh*t Chinese tires, insist on new American made tires, including the spares (see the many RV tire threads). Choose a dealer who is close to where you live...You will be taking it back multiple times for warranty work.

6. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

Think about what you want in the way of options. Multiple fantastic fans instead of manual vents, roll out awnings over all the bump outs, upgraded 5th wheel hitch, etc...These will be easier installed when new rather than after the fact. Also, try to get a decent shop manual (I don't know if there is such a thing, but the junk they give you with the RV is almost useless). Things I like about my 5th wheel? The auto leveler is a great feature....push 1 button and all the jacks come down and in 30 seconds it is level.

7. jksoft

jksoft Well-Known Member

Agree with everything Motofun said. In addition, do your research on the extended warranties. You can find third party warranties cheaper than what the dealer offers. They cover the same things. Biggest issue is that you may have a little less hassle using the one the dealer sells with that dealer as opposed to one the they didn't sell. I know some places don't like to take them at all because of the hassle and paperwork and also getting shorted. I have always been able to get around this by just agreeing to pay up front and let the warranty reimburse me. Biggest reason we got the warranty is because we bought a used motorhome and didn't want to be stuck with a boat anchor if something major went wrong, like the engine. This is what happened our previous motorhome. We had trouble giving it away with a blown motor. We've used a couple of times for leveling jack issues.

8. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

Used RV pricing? Near as I can tell sellers look at NADA, then roll a D6 to decide what multiplier to apply to that value (re-rolling any 1s) and using the resulting number as the will not budge price, twice that for asking.

kiggy74, TurboBlew and Kyle Brosius like this.
  9. Champer

Champer Well-Known Member

We just drove through there on 90 2 weeks ago, and it struck me as odd there were all these plants but none of them had names on them. Seems like it would be free advertising?

We did notice that all the lots for the factories were packed with completed units, but wasn't sure if it's always like that or what.

10. Kyle Brosius

Kyle Brosius Well-Known Member

I’d love to buy a toyhauler but I can’t stomach the depreciation you will have in he first three years if you buy a new one. I also don’t know enough about them to buy one 3-5 years old either. It’s almost like you need to take a home inspector with you to look at them.

Phl218 likes this.
  11. Champer

The most convenient pain in the ass you'll ever own.

I'm not sure how you could own one without being a DIY person, brand new or old.

panthercity, 5axis and Phl218 like this.
  12. Phl218

Phl218 .

And that is before pulling any panel to look at the crappy work underneath. I improved the internal ducts on the ac, now it’s cold and actually 5 dB quieter. It’s sad considering how much they charge.

13. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

This is why I sold mine. It’s just too hard to keep up with it when you have to keep it across town at a storage place.

14. Champer

Yep - and taking it somewhere isn't any better. I repacked my bearings a few weeks ago, and found I had 2 bad drum brakes. I was leaving out of town that week (1,500 mile trip) so I called around to 5 dealerships within an hour of my house - only ONE had about half the parts I needed to get it working. The rest said they could order it in for me and it would take 1-2 weeks. Like what the heck is someone going to do if they get stuck while on a trip and have to wait for parts? Thankfully Amazon exists and I got next day stuff with free shipping. It's not like it was something exotic, it was the standard 12" brake drums found on most axles.

R/T Performance and cBJr like this.
  15. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

That's some bullshit right there. I have trailer parts over night from my supplier if they're in the NY warehouse and I'm just a little rinky dink dealer . They didn't want to sell you parts very bad.

16. jksoft

jksoft Well-Known Member

I don't know how people that aren't mechanically inclined deal with an RV. If I had to take pig somewhere anytime it needed work done, I'd be broke and it would never be available to use. On the motorhome front, it's tough to find places to work on the chassis. Mine is built on a Ford chassis but most Ford dealers either don't a lift capable of working on them or the desire. Big truck places sometimes don't want to mess with them either. I have found a couple local independents that will do the work but there is usually a long wait. This is one of reasons we looked into buying a fifth wheel toyhauler this year, but after checking out everything on offer at the indoor show in Cleveland, we couldn't find anything we liked better. Lots of gimmicks we didn't need.

panthercity, 5axis and Phl218 like this.
  17. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

I think if you look at some models and decide what you want... you can start the search.
    3-5 yrs isnt all that old. 10 years would be "old". Shoot... my 2005 rig is almost 14 years old.
    Im starting to do services like resealing the windows and lots of updates! Already did the tires
    and a bunch of mechanical stuff.

Kyle Brosius likes this.
  18. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

its definitely a part time job...lol. That being said... if I needed something major, Integrity RV is a kick ass shop that does it ALL! Ive driven 6+ hours to use him.

19. tack514

tack514 Well-Known Member

I am trying to sell mine right now (36' 5th wheel Puma Toy hauler). It seems this may not be the best time to sell. But somebody is going to get a decent deal since I have already taken the depreciation hit. It seems no matter which brand you get there are going to be things that break or need maint. Once you work out the little piddly stuff it seems to be decently trouble free. As someone mentioned above, it is "the most convenient pain in the ass ". Perfectly stated.

panthercity likes this.
  20. Red Fox Racing

Red Fox Racing Age is only a number

Sorry about that, on a layover in Munich, there may be some beer and wine involved...

It's National RV in Detroit, just off of I-94. The price difference from ATL was worth the drive for us...(substantial difference)