1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New F250

Discussion in 'General' started by Gixxerguy855, Sep 3, 2018.

1. Gixxerguy855

Gixxerguy855 Well-Known Member

anyone bought a 2016 or newer? Would you buy it again? Gas or Diesel best?

2. prospected

prospected Well-Known Member

Uncle bought a overstock crew cab long bed F250 powerstroke for 15k under sticker. The original aluminum body hype has dropped and the sales weren't as good as projected. The body style was looked at as favorable but the material cost turned most away. Alot of dealers are definitely willing to deal.

3. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Have a 17 F350. Gas. I don't tow much, so yeah, would do it again. I only got the 350, because all of the 250's, on the lot I buy from, had a no sale recall on them. Otherwise, I would have had a 250. 350 rides decently enough.

4. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

rented a 2018 f250 diesel truck from enterprise truck rental last weekend to get to roebling road.. i have a 2005 excursion with 6.0L that had a pulley come apart just as we were leaving for the races, so got this for 4 days. UNREAL motor. Rides really nice as with other ford trucks, the helper springs don't come into play without a load. I figured without air bags, my 24' trailer would push the back down a bunch, as it does on my excursion (have air bags to level). nope. rode great. drove great. Not that there were a lot of hills on the way to roebling, but there are a few, including inclines for overpasses and over rivers. The f250 didn't downshift one time all the way there, or back. I'm seriously considering one of these things

5. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

Don't know why you'd buy a 250 vs the 350. Get the extra load capacity, you never know what you need it for in the future but it will come in handy. It rides just fine, even empty. Biggest downside is the tag may be more expensive. Long time ago I bought a heavy 3/4 ton and had the dealer tag it as a light weight 1/2 ton. For the last 24 years I've been driving it this way, It's barely legal even empty. ;). Never been stopped, never been questioned even when I've gotten a speeding ticket (or two :mad:). Tried to do the same trick with my F350 but the dealer said they couldn't do that anymore...guess the DOT finally wised up.

6. t11ravis

t11ravis huge carbon footprint

I went from a 6.0 (F250) to the 6.7 about 3 years ago. The difference in power is unreal.

Kris87 and wsmc42 like this.
  7. wsmc42

wsmc42 Well-Known Member

I just bought a '17 F350 diesel around Memorial weekend. I'm coming from a 2004 F350 6.0. I had trouble coming to terms with the price of new trucks, but I have to say the new trucks are amazing. The 2 things that really stand out for me are the power of the 6.7 and the ride quality of the new trucks. The Alumiduty trucks feel and ride more like a car inside. The interior of the Lariat reminds me more of a luxury car than a truck. It is super quiet inside rolling down the road and does not feel harsh. I tow daily, and the power of the 6.7 blows me away. Just a little squirt of throttle and it goes from 75-90 with or without my trailer hooked up. I have done 3 trips to AZ (4 hours each way) and it is great on a longer ride.

No regrets buying so far. I would say drive a 17 or newer. I think the improved ride over the previous generation makes it worth it.

8. YZROOSTINYA

YZROOSTINYA Well-Known Member

Had a 16' gas and traded it in for a 17' diesel. The 17' is a much better ride and and the interior layout is much nicer and roomier. If you are towing over 5k lbs alot and driving long distances the diesel is worth it.

9. Lavana

Lavana The coming

The diesel will keep its value better than the gas. I should have kept mine.

10. Kyle Brosius

Kyle Brosius Well-Known Member

I have a 2018 gas f350 company truck. It is a utility body truck so that may explain some of my complaints. The steering does not return to center by its self. It’s almost like there is not enough caster as the truck wonders down the road as well. The transmission is ALWAYS hunting for gears and makes it impossible to maintain 40 mph up a hill. The truck also wheel hops so bad when you get it in loose gravel or mud it’ll knock the fillings out of your teeth. Also the truck only gets 9-10mpg which doesn’t matter to me since I have a company gas card.

That said the ford SYNC is awesome! Makes listening to music on your phone so easy. The truck has enough power to do light towing and has an awesome electronic locking diff. The power windows in the rear doors are awesome also. The rear crew cab doors open up 180* too which is really convenient. The front hubs are automatic with a manual override which is nice because you don’t have to get out to lock them in but if you want to be sure they are locked you can still lock them manually.

All things considered I prefer my late 99 7.3 f-350. It’s simple and easy to repair, paid for, will run forever, has around 500whp, built tranny, Detroit locker outback, no DEF, no yearly emissions inspection or egr, etc...

Those king ranch superduties are like a 5 series bmw interior inside a truck though. They are awesome and if I could get over the emissions problems and price tag I’d probably be driving one of those with the 6.7.

11. tdelegram

tdelegram Well-Known Member

2017 f350 diesel drw platinum edition. Love the truck it’s had some teething issues with the tpms and I had a section of the wiring harness rubbing that needed replaced, other than that at 44k miles getting ready for my 3rd set of rear tires because 950 pound feet of torque and 20k pounds of trailer likes to eat rubber out back.

12. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

Geez, lighten up on the go pedal....:crackup: You're not 'sposed to peel out when pulling that 5th wheel.

13. BSA43

BSA43 Well-Known Member

What's the point in having 950 lb-ft of torque if you're not going to use it? :D

Phl218 likes this.
  14. John Branch

John Branch 90125

What kind of tires are you running?

15. John Branch

John Branch 90125

Whatever they come with from the factory,or the dealership suck! I have nittos on the Lightning and yo-ho on the F350

16. John Branch

John Branch 90125

I have a 2001 Ford lightning. And a 2013 Ford F-350 . Both have been good trucks. And I did go threw three sets of tires in 33,000 miles! But n the lightning doing auto Cross the first year I had it.

17. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

At that rate of burn does it matter?

18. xrated

xrated Well-Known Member

I had a 2011 F250 4x4, CrewCab, Diesel 6.7 and it was a hoss as far as towing power.....but the payload capacity, or should I say the lack of payload capacity was a killer. Combine 4x4, CrewCab, and diesel and you just don't have much in the way of payload. Mine had 2148 lbs of payload, and it was an XLT....not a Lariat or higher (even less payload capacity. So the bottom line would be, what are you planning to do with it? If you are thinking about any kind of fifth wheel trailer, you're probably out of luck. Generally speaking, going up to a F350 will usually run another $1000-1500 AND you'll pick up another 1000 lbs or so in payload capacity.....and I'm not talking Dually, I'm talking the SRW truck.

I ended up getting rid of it and getting a Dually 4x4, CrewCab Diesel and even with it being a King Ranch version I still had 5270 lbs of payload. The single rear wheel F350 truck's will normally give you 3200-3400 lbs of payload, depending on how they are equipped.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2018
  19. tdelegram

tdelegram Well-Known Member

What ever came with it, they are 70k rated so I get them prorated at 3/4 to 5/8 of full price.

20. John Branch

John Branch 90125

Again the tires they put on them from the factory or dealership suck! Upgrade your shocks and tires and you would be amazed at how much better it drives. And I had a 2011 F150 eco boost and pulled a Thor 23 foot trailer home fine . But the following week traded in for a 2013 F350 longbed diesel. Was the best decision I ever made on a truck! Imo