Ford diesel guys -- anyone dealt with frequent regens?

Discussion in 'General' started by pg_rider, Aug 28, 2018.

1. pg_rider

pg_rider Doesn't race anymore...

I do live on a dirt road. I wonder where the port might be?

2. baconologist

baconologist Well-Known Member

Usually it’s one of the pin holes in the connector that goes to an empty wire chase. Ti should have a sticker over it. I’ve also seen them on the back/side of the sensor body. Same deal with the sticker covering a hole.

I don’t have Ford speciffic knowledge. Just industrial junk dealing with this emissions stuff

Last edited: Aug 29, 2018
  3. pg_rider

Found this. I think the baro sensor is what provides the atmospheric pressure reference you mentioned, and it's now part of the ECM vs being a remote sensor.

"Baro Sensor (Barometric Pressure)
    A 5-volt reference signal is is supplied to the baro sensor and it produces an analog output signal. In the 6.4L, the sensor is located in the ECM, while the earlier engines use a remote sensor. The primary function of the baro sensor is to provide altitude information so the timing, fuel quantity, glow plug on time, and turbocharger boost can be altered."

4. baconologist

Baro sensor is different. It is usually in the ECU and gives a value for your relative altitude above sea level to compensate the total fuel injection quantity.

This is a tech article I was involved with that explains what I'm talking about. On single port pressure sensors you have to have a compensation port for the diaphragm to move in the sensor body. Otherwise it's sealed against the air caught at the time of assembly.

5. definitely not a cat

definitely not a cat Well-Known Member

That sensor doesn’t need a reference port. Air is moving through the exhaust. Pressure won’t be trapped in the sensor unless the reference port is clogged or there is some major exhaust clogging.

6. baconologist

Its callng for frequent regens. Check everything

7. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

The long probe is just an EGT sensor FYI. Have you done any other basic maintenance? Air filter?

Last edited: Aug 29, 2018
  8. Ducti89

Ducti89 Ticketing Melka’s dirtbike.....

Reading this makes my eyes bleed. So glad i deleted everything when i got to 40k.

If you solve the issue, PG, please let us know for reference. Good luck!

pg_rider likes this.
  9. pg_rider

So the pressure sensor rides on top of that EGT probe?

I’ve done fuel filters, air filter, and had a thermostat replaced that was stuck open. No effect.

10. pg_rider

I’d delete if I could, believe me! I need all the extra power I can get out of this engine pulling that load of a fifth wheel!

Ducti89 likes this.
  11. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

No, the EGT is just a seperate thing, there will likely be a few in the system, the pressure sensor looks like it just sits on a nipple on the DPF filter.