1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Another Helmet Thread

Discussion in 'General' started by rcarson15, Aug 22, 2018.

1. rcarson15

rcarson15 Well-Known Member

Hey guys, looking at helmets and wanted some opinions..

What are your thoughts of the RF1200 vs EXO R2000 vs R710 vs Bell Star?

Looking at a new helmet probably under the $350 mark, and don't have much access to trying some of them on in any store around here. Shoei is obviously tried and true, but have been hearing some good things about the R2000 (also a bang for your buck king). At the same time, the 710 is a bit like the R2000, without some of the higher end creature comforts.

2. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

I've used hjc rpha10 and 11, and shoei, and scorpion, but this year I got a bell star carbon, and love it. It feels like a high end helmet and has lot of great features, vents well. Has a massive Field of view and its light. I'd go bell all day.

3. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

Riders discount

TLR67 likes this.
  4. lee955i

lee955i The Traveling Gnome

Do you wear glasses? Every Bell I've ever tried sucked with glasses.

ineedanap and ToofPic like this.
  5. cpettit

cpettit Well-Known Member

Ask a million times and you'll get a million different answers. My personal opinion is all of those helmets would need a step ladder just to kiss the shoei's ass.

BobSaget likes this.
  6. bored&stroked

bored&stroked Disclaimer: Can't spell

I love my Bell Star. Yes it needs small, wire type frame sunglasses. $10/ea at walmart.

7. Riders Discount

Riders Discount 866-931-6644 ext 817

The Dani and Vinales Corsair X helmets we have on sale for $439 are the best bang for the buck in my opinion.

8. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

Another fan of Bell. I like them much better than the Scorpions I used to use. Fit and feel is much better.

9. sdiver

sdiver Well-Known Member

I wear Bell...have a Star, Carbon Star, and Race Star. Recently I've started to need RX for astigmatism in my left eye. Sucks getting old.

Went to the Oakley store with my helmet and tried on everything that looked like a possible fit. Oakley Sliver Edge FTW. Bought a pair with transitions lenses so I can use a clear visor and not be worried about being caught out at dark.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2018
    Eddie Span likes this.
  10. JBarx

JBarx Status: None.

Once you go Arai, you don't go back.

ToofPic likes this.
  11. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

Long time Scorpion guy, had pretty much all of them. I actually prefer the 710 to the 2000, pretty sure you can get 2 of them under your budget and keep a clear or high viz shield on 1 for rain.

Metalhead likes this.
  12. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

The new X-Lite X803 Carbon is my reference now. Fit and finish is top notch and it's the lightest helmet I've ever tried.

[​IMG]

BobSaget likes this.
  13. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

Would you not buy the one that fits you the best regardless of who makes it?

DaveB, buzz-06 and Nick_OMC like this.
  14. Nick_OMC

Nick_OMC Will crash your bike

We all have our partiality to a brand or model, mine is the R2000, however, try them all on and leave them on your head for at least 10 minutes to get a feel of what the fit profile really is and make your decision based off of your head shape and the best fitment.

15. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

Hate these threads but this guy speaks the truth.

16. Ducti89

Ducti89 Ticketing Melka’s dirtbike.....

Where can you get Xlites, Chaos? Ive been wanting to try them. Hows the ventilation?

17. neckbrace

neckbrace Well-Known Member

I'm currently using a Shoei RF1200 and an EXO R2000. I bought the Scorpion on a whim when Riders Discount was selling them at huge discount. I was planning to keep it as a spare initially, but after trying it on and riding in it I wear both of them pretty equally.

The fit is pretty similar, I wear a medium in both. The Scorpion chin bar is closer to my face than the Shoei, so if you have a Jay Leno chin or a giant nose it may not work out too well.

The Scorpion feels like it flows a little more air, the Shoei is a little quieter. Scorpion comes with a clear and a dark tinted shield, Shoei came with just a clear. I was pleasantly surprised by the Scorpion and I'll probably buy another next time I'm shopping for a lid.

Regardless of price or colors, get one that fits your head.

MachineR1 and rcarson15 like this.
  18. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

In Canada, pretty much everywhere. I don't know about the US, I think a few places might keep them. They are not DOT but ECE 22-05 certified. Lots of them on eBay for good prices too (mostly from Italy where they are built). Ventilation is awesome and except in hot racing conditions, I don't even need to open all the top vents.

Ducti89 likes this.
  19. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

Great suggestion.

Now he just needs to find a dealer who stocks everything and is willing to let him try on helmets so he will know what to order over the internet.

20. Ducti89

Ducti89 Ticketing Melka’s dirtbike.....

Thank you, sir.