1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Remote drone?

Discussion in 'General' started by motion, Aug 21, 2018.

1. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

I’d like to keep an eye on one of my homes using a remote drone. Something that will dock and re-charge. Maybe parked on the roof or something like that. Anyone know of anything?

2. HPPT

HPPT !!!

I don't know anything about that but I can see potential for huge judgment when it crashes into someone and they find out you were flying it from 2000 miles away with zero direct knowledge of wind conditions and shit. :D

BigBird, dtalbott and 418 like this.
  3. xrated

xrated Well-Known Member

FAA regulations require line of sight flight and registration of the drone......if you have any interest in staying legal....and shit

4. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

A set of security cameras would likely be more effective.

BigBird and busa99 like this.
  5. 5axis

5axis Well-Known Member

Drone- schmone. What you need is your own spy satellite, then you can track all your stuff.

motion likes this.
  6. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

Here you go.

[​IMG]

Boman Forklift likes this.
  7. Resident Plarp

Resident Plarp drittsekkmanufacturing.com

I’ll have to look later, but if one were to have a Part 107 certificate, VFR may not be an issue.

8. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

I want to fly around several acres and check my irrigation. Condition of the house, too, especially after hail.

9. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Part time emloyee on an atv with a gun. :D

motion likes this.
  10. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

The same hail, that dented your siding and messed up the roof, will wipe out the drone. :D

BigBird and E Reed like this.
  11. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

LOLOL true. Needs to be hail proof, also, I guess.

12. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Are you trying to study the weather or survey the weather damage? If it's the latter, you could just wait for the storm to pass. :D

BigBird likes this.
  13. wsmc 589

wsmc 589 Well-Known Member

Pretty sure 107 doesn’t allow you to fly out of line of sight.

daviid likes this.
  14. Monsterdood

Monsterdood Well-Known Member

If you are within your property lines and less than some altitude, I don’t think it would matter. And also if the drone was under some magic weight number. I don’t think Part 107 applies to any thing flying more than 1’ over the ground. I could be wrong. I just saw an article about an auto docking security drone. Probably not ready for the prosumer set yet is my guess but if there’s a market, DJI will surely have a product soon.

motion likes this.
  15. Resident Plarp

Right, 107 rules don’t apply for OP’s situation. And for all drone operations, you must have VFR so as to avoid other aircraft, be it over your own property or not. So, the remote part is out, you must be present. There are no FAA ratings available for truly remote pilots, irrespective of aircraft.

“What about the guy flying a Reaper that’s dropping ordinance in Afghanistan while the pilot sips coffee at Nellis AFB?!!” You may ask. Well, FAA treats proper UAVs like your annoying aunt: avoid, ignore, minimize dealing with her. So there. We all know that’ll change after the first Class A incident involving a RQ-type aircraft and say, an airliner.

It comes down to your risk appetite for the fines, penalties, and jail time (if applicable) for violating these rules in your locale.

*this is not to be construed as legal advice

16. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

It’s Montana. I can do whatever the f#%¥k I want.

BigBird, Phl218, 5axis and 2 others like this.
  17. Resident Plarp

18. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

Dude, they just came out with robot self docking vacuums how many years, I think we're a few yrs off from an affordable weatherproof self docking drone. :Poke:

With that said, I dig my DJI Mavic Pro.

19. joec

joec brace yourself

I thought I was just told thats Wyoming.

20. Fencer

Fencer Well-Known Member

Tec
    Technically isnt just the act of flying a drone REMOTE by definition? :)