1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stuffing the corner?

Discussion in 'General' started by Nytrozula, Aug 10, 2018.

1. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

You think beating up old guys on vintage bikes is funny? You probably kick puppies too!:Poke::D

Gorilla George likes this.
  2. Past Glory

Past Glory I still have several AVON calendars from the 90's

He has a well documented history of loving dogs. Now cats on the other hand...

3. Very much so. :D

TurboBlew likes this.
  4. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

I was going to reply but your post spooked me! :D

SuddenBraking and Gorilla George like this.
  5. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

:crackup:Dick...

6. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

We don't allow stuffing either. Granted it's all relative but I mean my version of shoving a bike in where it was never going to fit MX style stuff.

7. Shenanigans

Shenanigans in Mr.Rogers neighborhood

10-4 .thanks.

8. dave3593

dave3593 What I know about opera I learned from Bugs Bunny

In my very first race I was the deviled ham in the middle of a three bike sandwich. I had just taken the WERA class earlier and yes I was wearing an orange newbe shirt over my leathers. As I entered a turn a faster rider went inside on me. Since we were both heading straight for the apex I loosened my line up a little so we would not meet at the same spot. Another rider I had not yet seen was beginning to pass me on the outside. I watched him go wide but he was going to maybe go off the track so I saw him consciously lay his bike over so he would stay on the track. I had to lean back over hard toward the first guy. I heard a lot of plastic scraping and got bumped on the elbow. I'm just glad the banging around didn't catch any of our handlebars or we would of gone down.

I felt qualified to race after that. It was a very tight slow turn so the danger was likely minimal. I might have felt differently if it had been a sweeper.

9. sdiver

sdiver Well-Known Member

Go to intermediate. You'll be happier there.

blake holt, drop and Gorilla George like this.
  10. The best remedy for that kind of shit is to go faster. :D

....or another option is to start from the back.

That is the only bright side to my shitastic launches, regardless of where I am gridded I typically enter T1 in 127th place or some shit. :crackup:

Since I spend the first 1-2 laps riding like an asshole trying to get back to where I should be, I am always the one on the offensive and in control of the passing situations.

joec likes this.
  11. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

if u cant separate a trackday from race practice in mentality and approach, perhaps u shouldnt ride at trackdays.

i dont even ride trackdays much anymore because im not skilled enough to run my race pace with clean passes that are comfortable for the passee in A group traffic. and practicing that slowly just hurts my riding. i see the Graves racers come out to Fontana and accomplish exactly that and im in awe.

Gino230 likes this.
  12. sdiver

sdiver Well-Known Member

I could turn this into a pissing match, but in all honesty we probably agree mostly. Early in the thread I separated hard passes out of track day riding.

When there are no hard passes, absolutely practice a corner or sector or even lap at race pace. Here, 90% + in Advanced are racers, and hard passes are a very rare exception in practice and usually only occur due to some misjudgement.

13. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

It really depends on the track day org and rider perception too. The one track day organizer around here bases their levels strictly on lap times so you end up with people that can throw down a fast lap time but have never raced and are kinda spooky to be around. But if you go out in Advance and notice that most of the people out there are sporting black numbers you can expect the passing to be a bit closer. The only time I have gotten to ride Barber was the weekend before a WERA race. Since I had not ridden with STT before and no longer have a race license I signed up for intermediate and about 3 sessions in was pulled aside at pit out because apparently I "stuffed" some lady in T4 and she had waited at pit in to yell at me. I actually still have the GoPro video that shows us about 12' apart cresting the hill but she did not expect anyone there and was spooked when I went inside and squared off the corner but she was very insistent that I "stuffed" her. I was annoyed so went and asked to get a bump to Advance and spent the rest of the 1st day and all of the 2nd day being a passing dummy. But I had no issues with the black number guys take the 6" that I was leaving on the inside of corners and making room for themselves on corner entry. It was close, there were a couple of touches and most times really fast but they were in control and I never felt like anyone was out of line. I know others that would have freaked out if people were passing them like that. So who's perception should a person be going with and what is a good way to police it without taking away things that make track riding fun?

14. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

I remember reading an article online in which the author, an expert LW racer penned, “Any pass which causes the rider being passed to change his line to avoid contact is a dirty pass, period.”

Cracked me up. Turns out I’ve never made a clean pass in a race in my life.

crashman and badmoon692008 like this.
  15. 600 dbl are

600 dbl are Shake Zoola the mic rula

So every block pass in the history of block passes is a dirty pass? Normally I would just pass on this wisdom but I won't pass judgement until others pass along their passing input.

JBraun likes this.
  16. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

LOL, this man gets no points, and may God have mercy on his soul.

JBraun and Gorilla George like this.
  17. That was some good fun. :D

18. Fuck that guy.

JBraun likes this.
  19. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

IMO, when it comes to trackdays, I've no problem with nice, close, inside passes as long as they are done cleanly.

Also, it goes a long way to making sure everybody walks home with body/equipment in shape by setting up expectations during the riders meeting. If nobody running the day happens to say it, I typically mention that if a rider is having a particularly difficult time getting past a slower rider, usually all it takes is a nice friendly showing of the front wheel on corner entry (then backing off) to let the slower rider know somebody is trying to get around. Most of the time that rider will yield or wave you by on the exit so you can go about your business.

If that doesn't work, no reason why you can't pull into hot pit for 30 seconds and get some open track ahead of you......

20. Chino52405

Chino52405 Well-Known Member

I just finished my first race weekend with a full practice day on Saturday...those racer practices were the most fun I have ever had on my bike. I didn't make a single pass all weekend, got stood up 10-12 times to varying degrees, and watched a freight train worth of people pass me like friggin clowns getting out of a car after one guy opened the door on me under braking. I loved every second of it and can't wait to start giving it back.