1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Welder Selection Help

Discussion in 'General' started by tdelegram, Jul 24, 2018.

1. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

Just out of curiosity,why would you use a weaker rod for the root pass,then cover with a stronger one?

2. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

Also look into a lincoln squarewave 175. Can do ac/dc tig as well as stick. I paid 6/700 for mine, and it was in great shape. Transformer machine with high frequency start for AC tig, that is reliable and has enough jam for most of what I do. Will tig about 1/8" alum full pedal, and not trip a 40amp breaker. Doesn't have all the fancy setting an inverter tig does, but you can still get the job done without all the fancy bells and whistles.

3. Cam Morehead

Cam Morehead Husband, Dad, Racer

I stated it earlier. On dirty material, a 6011 will burn through oil, grease, dirt, rust, etc. A 7018 is cleaner burning rod.

britx303 likes this.
  4. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

Gotcha. I was taught against doing it that way you described,and to use the 7018 to burn through all the muck ,and was really just wondering about doing it that way instead. On all of our jobsites,its not allowed to use both like that. Wasn't trying to sound like a d*ck, sorry if I came across that way.

5. Cam Morehead

Gotcha. I have seen it done with E7018 root and E6010/E6011 root. At work the welders put a root in with ER70S-2 or E7018. After being a third generation welder, I followed my dad's advice and opted not to live under a hood for a living. Lol. At 71, he still drops a hood daily for hobbies. I just manage a fab shop, and weld for recreation.

6. josh7owens

josh7owens E-Kart Champ

buy a everlast 221 STI then you can weld every process with one welder.

7. Is that how you go so fast?

8. Cam Morehead

Not impressed with the duty cycle on this machine. It would work for lots of folks though.

9. josh7owens

josh7owens E-Kart Champ

For a hobbiest in the garage, it's a great machine that saves space. Which in a home setting is typically always a issue.

10. BSA43

BSA43 Well-Known Member

:stupid:

There are times when I have to push something out into the yard to be able to get into the shop. :D

Phl218 and Cam Morehead like this.
  11. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

Looking at welders right now. Is there anything a guy can't do with tig/stick inverter machine? I am thinking I need to man up and teach myself tig so I don't need the hassle and extra equipment associated with mig.

12. Damn right you do Nancy. Hike up that skirt and get on with it. :D

Banditracer likes this.
  13. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

I already know your opinion Mr. "I just use tig..."

Phl218 likes this.
  14. Phl218

Phl218 .

I like mig because it’s just way more straightforward than playing metal surgeon ...

15. triplestrong

triplestrong Well-Known Member

Not sure if mentioned yet, but that ESAB Rebel doesn't look to bad for fairly light duty stuff. Anyone have any time on one? Thoughts?

16. I’m just ignorant. I don’t know how to do anything else. :crackup:

crashman likes this.
  17. Skter505

Skter505 Well-Known Member

Looks like DC only so no aluminum. I've been thinking of picking up a tig also but aluminum is the main reason.

Anyone have any actual experience with the Everlast welders? I know they are on the cheaper side and that worries me.

18. jim weaver

jim weaver Well-Known Member

where is britt? do you dare ask the metalheaded one? britt id trust for info. isnt metal head a welder too.personally i have a old lincoln stick, and a hobart mig. cant weld because of pacemaker,suppost be dangerous.

19. @crashman thats a lie. I’ve been orbital welding lately. More of a process and a bit more scientific than how TIG is an art but still really cool none the less. I love all of it though. :rock:

crashman likes this.
  20. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

I'm a production welder. Limited materials/machines. Go with what Britt says. He has more overall experience.