1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NC30 vs. RC390?

Discussion in 'General' started by michael_chicago, Jul 15, 2018.

1. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

And the Austrian ones are pretty far from being stellar...

2. cajun636

cajun636 Honda Junkie.

The NC29/30/35 would, both in race trim; kick the shit out of the KTM.

And they can be had under the cost of the KTM’

I tried to tell a friend of mine who wanted to buy a Kawi Ninja 400 That if the real 400’s
    Show up, it’s all but over if someone who’s a decent rider shows up

John Branch and backbone like this.
  3. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

Not sure about that part though. The KTM is worth 4900$ I think ? You don't see a lot of NC30 for that price and you would need to invest in it and pay a higher price for maintenance I believe.

younglion and John Branch like this.
  4. John Branch

John Branch 90125

Either bike ! It all depends on who is between the seat and handle bars!:Poke:

5. John Branch

John Branch 90125

I pushing in the upper 7k ! And i still have a little way to go. In my 1989 Honda Vfr400

6. SpeedWerks Racing

SpeedWerks Racing Well-Known Member

DSC_0069.JPG
    we just finished this and sold it Monday for 9..

HPPT, cha0s#242, ToofPic and 3 others like this.
  7. John Branch

John Branch 90125

Nicely done

8. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

Everything they do is top notch.

9. rabbit73

rabbit73 Scheiße

The bike Moss was riding was more than likely a "cripple triple" GSXR 600 with a cylinder disabled, not one of these older mythical 400s that are being discussed.

10. younglion

younglion Well-Known Member

Trust me I'm with you - there are no current 400cc-ish 4-stroke bikes that or offered but I can tell you if there were I'd be having one.

- under 320lbs wet
    - 55+hp
    - modern chassis/suspension and current wheel sizes to allow for sporty rubber.
    -Sub $7500USD asking price (under $10k in Canadian bucks)

I just bought a used RC390 a few weeks ago, in comparison its :

- 340lbs wet
    - 39hp
    - chassis and suspension are awesome (Ohlins shock and Andreanni cartridge kit though - installed by original owner) - just installed S20 Evo's
    - $4500CDN so roughly $3500USD
    - has 2000 miles on it and the first service/valve job ($600) is out of the way.

Given those figures - no chance of competing with a machine making 55hp and weighing 290-300lbs wet.

11. younglion

younglion Well-Known Member

I know Dave used to ride the old school 400's but moved to the cripple triples if I recall. Those are making 70+hp to the wheel so WAY more than any current 390 or Ninja 400 that are 40-45hp.

12. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

I think Moss has a larger motor, probably a 428, but he's probably on a cripple triple now, but others have gone faster on both honda and Kawi 400's. Last I heard most were over 80Hp on the cripple R6. I know the cripples would pull me massively on the straights and I could pull the VFR428 honda's with my fat butt on the kawi.
    My last race was a couple years ago at Sonoma on my kawi, hadn't been on track for a race or track day in two years. I did high low 51's in the race after a couple practice sessions, I was 56 and 210 lbs. Always wanted to put a light fast kid on it and see what it was capable of at Sonoma :D

Last edited: Jul 19, 2018
  13. cajun636

cajun636 Honda Junkie.

Yeah Dave is now on a Cripple. He used to be riding G-Force V4’s.

With resources like Steve at Speedwerks and him having contacts overseas, a 400 can be assembled to be fast and reliable

You Gotta find a brotha a 29 :D

14. michael_chicago

michael_chicago Well-Known Member

I actually reached out to Dave and asked him; he was riding the V4.

15. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

They are only mythical if you don't have one sitting in the garage.

KrooklynSV and Newsshooter like this.
  16. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

17. tdelegram

tdelegram Well-Known Member

The best numbers I have seen first hand on the 390 are 51 hp on mr12 with a lot of motor work, the chassis isn’t designed for more than a 120 pound rider. As a ktm fan boy I’ll say I love my 390 but also know it’s no longer the fastest in class as the Kawi has eclipsed it. At some point I might find a 450 or 525 motor to stuff in the frame as they seem to be more reliable that the Indian made mills.

18. SpeedWerks Racing

19. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

And neither of those guys was a slouch on the machine.

20. SpeedWerks Racing

Greg@Deftone cycles has 2 for sale, in ohio,hit him up on faceshit, he's a stand up guy too..