1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can you help me pick my street/trackbike?

Discussion in 'General' started by Auron, Jul 22, 2018.

1. Auron

Auron Well-Known Member

I don't race, but this is the best motorcycle forum I'm aware of so I like to stop by when I have a question.

#1 for me is how the bike feels turning in and mid-corner, that magical sensation we all know and love with the front tire smooshed into the pavement. What I've found, that as long as the bike has enough weight on the front wheel, I very much prefer to be "in" the bike rather than perched on top.

All the Ninja's I've ridden (ZX6R, ZX14R and Ninja 1000) felt like your butt is jacked up in the air, I'm pretty much looking for the opposite of like that. My trusty F4i was very comfortable for me on the track but I didn't like the engine. I had way more fun on it that I did my '03 600RR

I'm looking at everything from GSXR1000's to Superduke 990's. What are your favorite sure-footed bikes that turn really nice without needing an expert behind that bars to enjoy riding at a decent intermediate pace?

2. fastedyamaha

fastedyamaha Well-Known Member

TLR1000

TLR67 and 03RumbleBee like this.
  3. Ducti89

Ducti89 Ticketing Melka’s dirtbike.....

Mid corner, sit in chassis: Honder.

scottn, rk97 and pscook like this.
  4. tdelegram

tdelegram Well-Known Member

Ktm rc8r

5. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

superdukes have ALOT of leg room. Probably 2nd to the Bimmer GS but my 36" inseam is almost straight on a SD.

The 2005+ gsxr 1k has that "in" feeling as do the 600 and 750s beyond 2006.
    The MT10 has a UJM kinda feel. With regular bars... finding a comfortable position is easy.

rcarson15 and Auron like this.
  6. You sit more in the bike on a Suzuki and Honda, along with a KTM RC8R.

As far as how the bike handles mid-corner, that comes down to suspension quality and setup, ergonomics, inputs, etc. As far as which one will handle well at an Intermediate pace, the answer is all of them. So just get whichever one you are most comfortable on, and can get the best deal on.

Jaketheone46 likes this.
  7. Ra.Ge. Raptor

Ra.Ge. Raptor wanna_be_fast

buy a Suzuki or Honda ,since you prefer sitting "in" the bike , and work with a suspension guy to make it handle like you want.

rk97 and Gorilla George like this.
  8. Auron

Auron Well-Known Member

Suzuki all the way then I think, the 600RR did not leave a good impression with me. Interesting how different manufacturer's are able to change the feeling even with the same seat height. How do they do that?

Anyone know of someone that's ridden the new-ish GSXS1000?

gsx-s1000_7.jpg

9. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

SV650

/thread

:D

10. Chango

Chango Something clever!

What didn't you like about the F4i engine? If it was lack of power an SV may not be up your alley. But, just in case, I know a guy selling an 03 SV650S...

11. Auron

Auron Well-Known Member

It did feel a little slow below 10K, and put my hands to sleep it was so buzzy. I live at 5000+ ft though, at sea level or around there it would have had enough power.

SV650 would surely be an awesome handler but it would be even slower than my F4, plus I prefer I-4's and triples.

12. JBowen33

JBowen33 Only fast on Facebook

I came off a Ducati 999s and loved the “in the bike” feel as you mentioned. I went to a 2015 GSXR1000 and at first it was awkward but seriously after 5-6 laps I was running better lap times on that then I ever did my Ducati and felt at home very quickly. That being said my GSXR was set up properly with full ohlins, fuel management, full exhaust etc....

13. JBowen33

JBowen33 Only fast on Facebook

It’s an awesome street bike... as far as track goes might as well get the GSXR.... imo

14. Bargain basement offering for the street.

It would be comfortable, and make a good street bike. But it isn't the best choice for a track bike.

But with that being said, if we are just talking about riding in Intermediate...and you have no intentions of bumping up/getting faster, then that bike would be fine for tooling around in Int and would also give you a good street bike to ride.

JBowen33 likes this.
  15. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

16. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

:stupid:

17. BigBird

BigBird blah

The answers are usually LWT or YZF-R6...

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

18. Jon Wilkens

Jon Wilkens Well-Known Member

Triumph Street Triple RS 765 Silly fun and way more bike you'll ever need on street or track...comfy too.

SuddenBraking and Roostah like this.
  19. track wagon

track wagon MCAS MIRAMAR

There has been tons of these lately.

20. Auron

Auron Well-Known Member

Went to ride a 765, wicked bike for sure and although I haven't ruled it out, your butt feels pretty high, very race-bikey for a naked, but also that you'd need a racetrack to even start to push it, felt very capable of some serious corner speed. Not really something I'm looking for in a streetbike