1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

For the FTP's amongst us

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by ryoung57, Jan 27, 2014.

1. Chino52405

Chino52405 Well-Known Member

My changes made it "absolutely incorrect" for you. Perception is my whole point.

This discussion today (and almost always in FTP thread) dances all over race, perception of racial relations and Obama is still a daily topic here as well. Obama is often cast as "The Great Divider" with regard to race relations primarily by people who saw the election of a black president as the ultimate signifier that we had transcended our racist past while a whole other swath of the population saw a black president as an opportunity to finally address racism in our country beyond just making it illegal.

Have we merged our Cold War history with the Russians into one unified perspective since we're 30 years past it's end? The Russians still don't agree with the American government's account even if we're more friendly to each other - just like cops and brown people.

2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

No. They made it incorrect. This isn't a perception or opinion thing. It's simple numbers and facts. The world was worse in this country for brown folks 50 years ago than it is now. It was worse for them a hundred years before that too. Corrupt cops were much much much more prevalent 50/100/150 years ago than they are not. Never as much as people the more criminally minded folks want you to believe but it absolutely happened/happens.

Obama sided with proven criminals against cops in a very public way. That is also facts not opinion. In certain areas it absolutely caused issues between races. Not sure what the rest of the above has to do with anything.

kangasj likes this.
  3. G 97

G 97 Garth

Just like cops and overwhelmingly any people who show disdain for LEO and break the law regardless of color. Why is this even a conversation about color. The conversation should be centered around criminals of any skin color.

K51000 likes this.
  4. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Which happens less all the time too.

The lack of respect thing is interesting (as are the excuses for it). I do think there is overall less respect for the cops - which is stupid since they do a better job than ever before - but it's not just cops, it's a lack of respect for anything and everything, anyone and everyone. Yet at the same time we're doing less harm to each other....

Orvis likes this.
  5. Orvis

Orvis Well-Known Member

Sean, since I became politically aware during the Kennedy/Johnson administration I cannot remember a single President becoming personally involved in any civil matters until Obama and Trump came along. Both of those seem to be willing to start popping off before any actual facts are revealed.

6. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Huh? Pretty sure Kennedy proposed and pushed for the Civil Rights act, Johnson did the same for housing (could be off on that one).

The difference on facts is simple, the media then was willing to gloss over the little shit not try and turn it into big shit for ratings. Either way, presidents have always played games.

7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

How about Hoover and the vets in the tent city in DC? He called in the Army.... Eisenhower sent in troops to Little Rock to get the kids into school....

8. Chino52405

Chino52405 Well-Known Member

Because you want to make this issue black and white (not racially) and ignore that there can be multiple perceptions of the same information without any of them having to be incorrect or inaccurate. I believe police/minority relations are better than in our past just as you assert. I believe less police are corrupt today just like I believe less businessmen are corrupt today.

G's original comment didn't say things were worse for cops, just that a war on police could exist, as it has in his opinion, without an increase in incidents. I didn't disagree and I also said nothing about anything being "worse" for people of color. I simply said (as he did) that a climate exists to perceive ongoing threat from the opposite side as well.

9. Orvis

Orvis Well-Known Member

Wow! Are you honestly going to defend a bunch of hooligans that were breaking the law and then blaming the police for their tactics to get their asses off the public streets? Does that describe your level of being a responsible citizen? Does it piss you off just as badly when the police have to use the pitt maneuver to stop a car that will not stop when ordered? What's so special when the person is riding a bike? They're still breaking the law and they can still hit and kill someone else. Does that matter?

10. Orvis

Orvis Well-Known Member

Ya got me there. Of course, weren't both of those involving national events and Federal laws?

11. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

Cmon Orvis, I know you've heard of the apple/tree analogy.....

12. Orvis

Orvis Well-Known Member

Sometimes LE is between a rock and a hard place when it comes to releasing video showing facts before the investigation is completed and the case goes to court. Jury tainting is a real issue that a smart defense atty can use in court.

13. Orvis

Orvis Well-Known Member

Yeah, unfortunately it's a truism that's really true.

14. Orvis

Orvis Well-Known Member

Sean, the only comment that I would make on your comment about cell phones is this. People have a tendency to be lazy and have always been that way to a large extent so, during the years of racial growth, for example, people had to go to some effort to become personally involved in the fight whereas today, just about anyone can whip out their phone and send their own opinions to everyone everywhere. They don't even have to get up off the sofa to "be involved."
    What do ya think?

15. Sweatypants

Sweatypants I am so smart! S-M-R-T... I mean S-M-A-R-T!

because they're probably going to die or be seriously injured and the guy in the car won't be.

16. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

My stomach is turning :D but I have to agree with Shittypants. Pitting a bike is not the same as Pitting a car. The Pitt Maneuver is taught as a "relatively" safe way to incapacitate a car for everyone involved and end the chase. That simply is not the case for a bike. You punt a guy off a bike at speed on the highway and there's a really good chance you'll kill him. You might as well lean out the window and shoot him in the back.

Sweatypants likes this.
  17. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

Agreed. If you’re responding to me. I never said it wasn’t stupidity before obama. Chino just made it seem like obama didn’t add fuel to the fire.

18. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

19. Fonda Dix

Fonda Dix Well-Known Member

20. Sweatypants

Sweatypants I am so smart! S-M-R-T... I mean S-M-A-R-T!