1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

first WERA round

Discussion in 'Information For New Racers' started by DBConz, Jul 9, 2018.

1. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Vendors tend to go to tracks regardless of the org racing there so I'd ask your normal rep first. Since those rounds are Nationals I expect Chuck Ivey will be there as well.

DBConz likes this.
  2. sbk1198

sbk1198 Well-Known Member

I'm in the same boat as well. CCS guy, will be doing my first WERA round at VIR (endurance race). I just sent in my application for the full license the other day. Since you get a discount if it's your first time it's worth spending the $80 for 12 months rather than $50 a weekend. This will allow you to pre-register as well.

But you should still read the rule book :) You don't have to read every page, but the important parts about class specs, what needs to be safety wired, and other info about how their events are ran. I read all of that on a flight when I was bored lol Probably should go over it again since I forgot some of it.

Phl218 likes this.
  3. DBConz

DBConz Registered Idiot

i've read it a few times over the years as my interest was growing to do a few races. Since i've raced the LRRS series in NH, my bike is wired to WERA rules with the exception of the nut on the clutch cover. i've had an AMA transponder for LRRS, and i've had an AMA membership for the ASRA races.

My bike is SS legal for CCS/AMA/ASRA/LRRS, so i'm not worried about what classes i can do.

Since all the sprints are on sunday, i'm only going to so 3 races anyways.

sbk1198 likes this.
  4. sbk1198

sbk1198 Well-Known Member

My bike was only wired for CCS specs, which is far from WERA specs. Spent a few hours drilling, and wiring the other weekend. Broke 2 or 3 bits in the process.

5. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

The funny thing is I started with WERA before going to CCS,but just because the Mid-A region kinda petered out as I was getting started. I noticed immediatly how much faster my WERA approved wired bikes with WERA stickers get through CCS tech faster than the CCS siliconed bikes. Even got several "thanks" and smiles and comments like "Ahhh good,a WERA bike",from inspectors the couple times I went to Daytona, for safety wiring "per WERA rules"to quote the tech guys.......and it was a CCS/ASRA event:crackup: I do all my bikes to WERA specs regardless now. Im hoping to make it to VIR or NJ for my first WERA weekend since 2015.

Shenanigans likes this.
  6. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

My personal method is if something can fall off and ruin a race for you or someone else it gets wired. I write the rules to cover things we see have issues regularly but do more than that for a bike I prep. Even more if it's an endurance machine.

DaveB likes this.
  7. DBConz

DBConz Registered Idiot

just faxed over my license form. mailed my transponder out for a new battery. looking like i'll be seeing some of you knucklehads soon.

galloway840 and TLR67 like this.
  8. DBConz

DBConz Registered Idiot

so ID, WERA license, and AMA card ?
    do i need anything else if i'm pre-registered?

9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Nope, you'll be all set. Swing by registration to pick up your receipt and tech form then go through tech and go have fun!

10. DBConz

DBConz Registered Idiot

is there tech on Friday? If so, what hours?

I know security has been a PITA about letting racers enter the paddock on Fridays before 5:00pm, is that still an issue there?

11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

For VIR? Not an issue since N2 is doing a trackday on Friday.

FWIW - it's not security being a pain as much as it is someone else has the track rented. Just like we don't want whoever is there the next day moving in during one of our events, others don't either.

12. DBConz

DBConz Registered Idiot

I understand the reasons why. They've gotten better over the last few CCS events, but it's always been a problem at VIR for some reason.

13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yeah, VIR can be like that with certain things. They do things their way and you adapt to it or don't go there. Can get frustrating but it is what it is so we deal with it.

14. DBConz

DBConz Registered Idiot

anyone answer my tech question? is it open on Friday?
    i'm probably getting to the track sometime between 3:00pm - 5:00pm on friday.

15. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

We will have registration and tech open for sure for Endurance at some point Friday (not sure when the officials are all rolling in off the top of my head). Sprints are a possibility but that will depend on personnel, they're all driving to the track after they get off work and such just like all of you.

16. DBConz

DBConz Registered Idiot

one more REALLY stupid question that just popped up in my head...do you care what side the transponder is mounted on? I know scoring is on the right hand side. I usually keep my CCS transponder on the right, and my LRRS transponder on the left (NHMS scores on the left).

I know the AMB's are good/reliable and will pick up on either fork, but i've actually been told by other orgs that i had to move my transponder in tech.

17. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Makes no difference, rulebook says left but that's just to have it consistent. Main thing for the AMB/Mylaps system is the fork is best. Less interference between the transponder antenna and the loop antenna in the track. I usually only have issues if they get mounted flat on a fairing bracket or the like.

18. DBConz

DBConz Registered Idiot

perfect thanks. my AMB bracket is always mounted on the left fork.

19. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yeah, LRRS followed us on that one. I have to add I do love being able to work with people and keep things consistent when we all can :D