1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

No-mar tire changer

Discussion in 'General' started by Phl218, Jan 16, 2015.

1. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

I took pity on a 19 yr old kid that was a assistant manager for a local pizza chain referred by a "friend".
    I traded 2 take off tires installed plus an hour of cleaning/lubing... for free dinner.
    He got the better end of the bargain after I had to drive like 20 miles to the store he worked at instead of the one close to my house! :crackup::crackup::crackup:

2. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Dang, I hope that was a fantastic dinner. If he works for Pizza Hut you did get screwed. :D

3. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

Does anyone know what accessories are required if getting the "classic" tire changer? I'm going to be changing sport bike and dirt bike tires exclusively (until I get older and fatter, at least).

It says I need the "posi clamps" for dirt bikes but is that true?

[EDIT: If so, may as well spend the extra $20 (posi clamps are $160) and get the CH200 changer which comes with Posi clamps included and can handle beefier tires, right?

upload_2018-7-11_11-2-27.png

]

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
  4. Dave_SV

Dave_SV Well-Known Member

If you are spending that much money for a manual changer why not spend another $150 or so and get a pneumatic one? @TLR67 hooked me and a few other members up with a great deal on this unit:

[​IMG]

j cal, dobr24, Phl218 and 7 others like this.
  5. tjnyzf

tjnyzf Well-Known Member

I bought the harbor freight tire changer and then bought replacement spools for No-mar's posi-clamps and mounted them in place of the steel clamps on the HF unit. I also bought the mount/demount bar from no mar instead of using the steel one that came with HF changer. Works just fine for a fraction of the price. Everything that actually touches my wheel came from No-mar.

The unit flexes a bit when you try to clamp down hard on the rim, but I just place a rubber coated steel rod (it's actually a manual tamper I had in the garage like one of these https://www.amazon.co.uk/Roughneck-64379-Rammer-tamper-8-inch/dp/B003CT4DD6) between the rim and one of the arms of the tire changer to keep the wheel from spinning while removing and installing the tire.

some guy #2 likes this.
  6. SuddenBraking

Looks like a nice unit, but I went ahead and ordered the CH200 one from No-mar (I don't have an airline setup in my garage). Plus, my fat ass could use the exercise.

Dave_SV likes this.
  7. sicc

sicc Well-Known Member

im with you on the harbor freight except i just took leather gloves, cut them into strips and zip tied on to the hooks. i tossed the mount/demount bar that comes with the unit and bought another one with plastics tips so as to not scratch the rims. i think it was called monkey bar, magic bar, something like that but i dont think the dude is around any longer. for about $120 all in it works awesome.

some guy #2 likes this.
  8. Bruce

Bruce Tuck & Roll

That's not a bad deal

9. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

+1....took me a minute to learn the tricks of the trade so to speak, but i now look forward to changing tires, which includes trailer tires, lawn mower tires, dirt bike tires, etc....No 'extra' accessories had to be bought with this machine either.

dobr24, 03RumbleBee and Dave_SV like this.
  10. Bruce

Bruce Tuck & Roll

I have the No Mar classic and it's definitely paid for itself. But I'm honestly tired of it. Cruiser tires are a nightmare. The bead breaker pulls the rim off the plastic tops. Mount bar pops off the rim. Etc

Phl218 likes this.
  11. SuddenBraking

Ahh, shit - I'm not far from you and would've taken it off of your hands as I don't need to deal with cruiser tires. That being said, hopefully your experience with the brand is the exception and not the rule as I mostly hear good things about them.

I'll report back on mine as I'll be changing two lawnmower tires, two dirtbike tires, and two sportbike tires immediately upon setting it up.

Bruce likes this.
  12. t11ravis

t11ravis huge carbon footprint

Wow

13. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

This is Sold......

Boman Forklift and t11ravis like this.
  14. some guy #2

some guy #2 Well-Known Member

I ratchet strap the rim to the arm but I think a really long U bolt would work just as well. I also bolted mine to the floor using concrete anchors. I also use the no mar bar and the mojo-bar brand blocks to clamp the wheel in place. I also cut up a nylon cutting board for the bead breaker.

15. trancework

trancework It's always now...

It depends.... If you're working with tubed dirtbike tires, e.g. for a 450 Exc, you might be OK with just the standard classic. The issue is the delrin bobbins and the lock. Two points are fixed wedges and the third is an turning eccentric. If you can get enough leverage to stabilize the wheel with the eccentric twist, you may be fine. Where you run into problems REALLY fast are tubeless heavy enduro/mega enduro/adv bike tires.

The first dirtbike tire I tried changing with my Classic was a Metzeler Karoo for a BMW HP2 Enduro. I was cursing NoMar's name on that one, before I bought the Posis--I bought them after I'd called to complain and they were like, "Yeah, that won't work..." I'd managed to mount the tire but not with all kinds of machinations, inclusing rachet-strapping the hub to the No Mar. The regular clams work SUPER WELL for sportbike tires. If you're doing any kind of tubeless enduro, I'd go Posi--Especially things like the Metzeler Tourances that are now made in China and took me 3+ hours to get mounted due to increased carcass stiffness. It took over an hour to get the beads set--dreading the thought of pulling them back off!

I'd recommend calling NoMar and asking what your cheapest option would be for your application. The other gizmo I got that I LOVE is the roll-on base: https://www.nomartirechanger.com/Ro...le_Hill_Tire_Changers_p/ac-rollonbase-org.htm It was great because you could use the NoMar ANYWHERE. It's showing the base as discontinued, and I also cannot find the "trailer-hitch mount base" --which is very strange because it seems all the rigs are shown so that the only mount option appears to be fixed to the floor anchor(s)....

SuddenBraking likes this.
  16. Bruce

Bruce Tuck & Roll

It's a really good manual changer. I'm just over doing it manually lol!

SuddenBraking likes this.
  17. SuddenBraking

A couple of things:

1) The CH200 is over $50 cheaper on eBay vs on No-mar's own website ($779 website vs $725 on eBay). I emailed them asking if they'd prefer I shipped it back and bought from eBay (it's them, btw, not an intermediary) or if they would prefer to simply credit the difference - will update when I hear back.
    2) How are you guys mounting to the floor? I've got a three car garage but would prefer to be able to move it out of the way into a corner when not using - does anyone else move it when not using it or is it too much of a bitch and you just leave it setup all the time?

Phl218 likes this.
  18. Phl218

Phl218 .

1. interested to see how they respond
    2. i have mine on a pallet. as of now a cheap soft wood pallet, will switch to a better one... but that allows me to move it, wile at the same time keeping it pinned when i'm standing on the pallet.

my plan is though, to anchor it and leave it a permanent installation.
    plenty of space to a wall, not in a corner, to make sure to have enough space to wrestle the bar around it.

i change dirt bike tires with spoons.

19. some guy #2

some guy #2 Well-Known Member

I bolted mine to the garage floor using only two bolts. I put in the least obtrusive place but i still ran into it once or twice.

20. SuddenBraking

I was debating putting it on 3/4" plywood - I've got tons of 4x4 sections laying around that I think could/would work. I could actually do two layers of 3/4" which should be strong enough to handle any torque-ing I'd be doing.

Do you have the posi-thingy to change dirt bike tires or the standard model? Would hate to have bought this thing and still need to do dirt wheels with spoons.......