1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Michigan - Grand Traverse ORV Trail Info

Discussion in 'General' started by bjs8579, Jul 12, 2018.

1. bjs8579

bjs8579 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info @motoracer1100 . I just need to find a spot to put in at, but that northern loop sounds fun. I checked out the Tomahawk system and it looks great, but I'll be too far away to make it down there.

2. skidooboy

skidooboy supermotojunkie

B tomahawk is the "favorite" of many... be forewarned, the loggers have a section REALLY F'D UP north of the parking area. Mancelona's loops, trails are nice... be prepared for high heat, high humidity, lots of dust, unless we get some rain, been a dry summer. tomahawk is real single track, orv trails are 50" or less, so you may see a quad or two. orv routes are for jeeps, trucks and side by sides. have fun, post up some pics. Ski

3. Resident Plarp

Resident Plarp drittsekkmanufacturing.com

For Grand Traverse, I prefer the Supply Rd. parking lot on the northeast side of the map. It’s easy to find and the trail straight out of there is nice black dirt, if you go west from there. No matter where you start, you’ll enjoy the ride. It’s a really nice single track trail.

4. SundaySocial

SundaySocial Blue & Gold

Kalkaska, but us mitten men knew what you were talking about... Ya, eh !

motoracer1100 likes this.
  5. motoracer1100

motoracer1100 Well-Known Member

:D
    The first time I went there I used the Supply Rd parking lot . There were four or so young punks running through the parking lot , Roosting Sand and rocks everywhere. I had a brand new truck , so I go over and tell them ( politely) to save that shit for the woods . They got a little pissy with me and I was plotting which ones in what order I was going to take them out . But they came to their senses and road off . They didn't know I had a 3' screwdriver.
    So started parking just off Jackpine Rd .
    However , the last time out , I caught a couple of dudes snooping around my truck . No bikes or car , they just came out of the woods . Which surprised me cause I'm sure they heard my CR500 coming from at least a 1/2 mile away !

6. Resident Plarp

Yes!

I’ve been fortunate enough not have any problems out on the trail, parking or otherwise. And why the screwdriver? Just bring a gat. :D :D :D

7. motoracer1100

Screwdrivers have no serial #'s ... it's a throw away :D

t11ravis likes this.
  8. cpettit

cpettit Well-Known Member

Are the trails well marked and easy to follow or should I load some gpx files on my phone and use the gps type navigation?

Is there the possibility of getting fuel along the way and is it necessary? I can get about 40 miles out of a tank i think but not sure about my brothers 2001 wr360.

9. Resident Plarp

The trails are somewhat well marked, but that’s never a sure thing. Just print a map from the DNR ORV website and download the GPX files there. I never leave home without a map or a lensatic compass when riding unfamiliar trails.

As for fuel, I uh, dunno. :D

cpettit likes this.
  10. motoracer1100

This ^^^^ just bring an extra 5 gals of gas in the back of the pickup ..

11. bpro

bpro Big Ugly Fat F*****

I have not been up there for years but on the bigger loops like Kalkaska and Wolverine we would often plan our drive in to drop off a camouflaged gas can somewhere along the route. We were mostly riding 2 stroke MX bikes and didn't want to risk getting bad fuel or mixing oil incorrectly in the middle of nowhere...

At one point a group of us bought an old cabin on Wolf Lake near Baldwin as a home base. That area had a few good trails close by and was an easy drive to several others. The last few times we went up we rented a lake cabin near Gaylord as we normally went up in the offseason (April and October) and there were tons of options available.

12. gpz11

gpz11 Well-Known Member

I remember riding up a little south of there near Baldwin on the single track, came around the corner there was a pack of side by sides stuck right in front of us. No idea how they even got on the trail but they are marked single track for a reason!