1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Michigan - Grand Traverse ORV Trail Info

Discussion in 'General' started by bjs8579, Jul 12, 2018.

1. bjs8579

bjs8579 Well-Known Member

I'll be heading up to Michigan next week for some vacation time, and I'm bringing a few dirt bikes with me. I plan on riding this trail system some, but it looks like it's 63 miles long. Have any of you ever ridden this trail? Know of the best spots to ride? Any extra info I should be aware of? I'm going to buy my ORV pass when I get up there.

Most of my trail riding experience is along mountain trails in east TN and Durhamtown in GA if that helps.

2. JJJerry

JJJerry Well-Known Member

Never ridden Grand Traverse, but have ridden several others up that way. We're going up to the Tomahawk system (3 loops, a bit northeast of Grand Traverse) this weekend. That's great ridding.

It's recently legal to ride on the shoulder up that way, as long as it'd not an M-Road (M13, M55...etc). Nothing really to watch out for though.

Have fun!

3. Resident Plarp

Resident Plarp drittsekkmanufacturing.com

Grand Traverse is one o the most well-maintained trails in lower Michigan. Greet fun.

Also, Kallaska is a really fun system. You’re nearby, so if you want to check that out, you won’t be disappointed.

4. motoracer1100

motoracer1100 Well-Known Member

I have ridden the Northern most loop of the Grand Traverse trail system . Did not go to the trail head parking . Just entered off of Brown bridge road and Jackpine Rd . It's a great place to ride in the boardman river valley . I also did the Southern loop by Fife Lake on the dual sport ( I believe you need a street plate for parts of the Fife Lake loop ) .
    There are many Utube vids of this trail system to give you an idea of what may appeal to you .
    Have fun ...

bjs8579 likes this.
  5. cpettit

cpettit Well-Known Member

My brother and I are going up to the tomahawk trail area next thursday-sunday. Never been there but have heard it is great. Anybody know which of the 3 loops is the best? We'll probably only have time (and energy) to ride 2 of them.

6. JJJerry

They're all good. A can be a dusty mess if it's dry. C is my favorite. I believe it's B and C that are motorcycle only, so they're narrower. We'll miss you by a week!

Where are you staying?

7. renegade17

renegade17 Well-Known Member

B is the best if it hasnt been over populated. They are all pretty good stuff though. @JJJerry or I will try to get some pics this weekend to get you spun up next week at work.

8. rwdfun

rwdfun

Good thing too because these 2 jerks think it's funny to roost the guy behind them every chance they get. Thank your lucky stars you aren't riding with them. I know I do.

cpettit likes this.
  9. JJJerry

The swear word combos that would come from your lips up there... a man can only dream.

10. SundaySocial

SundaySocial Blue & Gold

11. renegade17

All you would have to do is stop riding behind us if at all possible. :D

Resident Plarp likes this.
  12. Resident Plarp

Resident Plarp drittsekkmanufacturing.com

Just don’t let one of those two jerks cook you a chicken dinner.

JJJerry likes this.
  13. renegade17

Who said anything about cooking,?I was just warming the basket.

JJJerry likes this.
  14. rwdfun

rwdfun

Oh I wouldn't say a think but, the hailstorm of hammer fists and drop kicks would be a sight to be seen

15. renegade17

You old cold cocker you!

16. t11ravis

t11ravis huge carbon footprint

I was in TC last month for 1 day on my way to Road America MA round. My sister was trying to get me out riding that afternoon but I couldn't swing it. She said they're awesome.

17. cpettit

cpettit Well-Known Member

My brother reserved a campsite at this place:

https://www.sturgeonvalleycampground.net/home.html

It seems to be near one of the trailheads.

JJJerry likes this.
  18. t11ravis

t11ravis huge carbon footprint

BTW, If anyone wants a cottage up there overlooking Lake Michigan let me know.
    It hit the market last week. :D

19. JJJerry

You passed the test that night. @Wade Parish failed his first night test in Wolverine. Don't do that.

20. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

DAMN! Both barrels at once! :bow: