1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mid Ohio

Discussion in 'General' started by KMC, Jul 10, 2018.

1. cav115

cav115 Well-Known Member

Track was actually good in the afternoons.

Lizard 1 and rcarson15 like this.
  2. Bburns912

Bburns912 Well-Known Member

The track has zero grip, on the plus side it’s the most tire friendly track ever because of it.

DucatiBomber likes this.
  3. cav115

cav115 Well-Known Member

Brian didn`t complain much about grip in the afternoon.

Mornings (especially saturday) were sketchy.

4. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Wasn't sure why the m4m rub down went 4 pages. Now I know.

renegade17 likes this.
  5. maslov

maslov Well-Known Member

If you compare fastest lap times across the weekend from HWT Superbike (Matt Carr 1:30.7) vs A Superbike (Mark Junge 1:31.1), it’s clear that the Ducati did in fact have the fastest lap time. Now it would of been a fun battle to see them race in the same race.

Speaking of, I always wondered why there isn’t much of Ducati presence in A Superstock or Superbike... last time I raced in Atlanta I was the only one in A Superstock, but when I was in HWT Superbike same weekend there were obviously a few more...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cav115 likes this.
  6. KMC

KMC DUC|DET

Hey Brad. Nice meeting you this past weekend.

Come race time, I felt like the track had pretty good grip with a new rear. I tried to get 4 sprints out of a rear though, and that wasn't smart or fun. I ran one front the entire weekend. Didn't really feel it start to go until my 2nd race on Sunday.

7. KMC

KMC DUC|DET

Fixed it for you...

I really wanted to race with Mark and Brad in the A-SBK race, but didn't have a spare set of wheels and was running on a tight tire budget. I'll def grid up with the 1000's at Road Atlanta. I literally got our bike together on Thursday evening and left the shop at midnight.

8. maslov

maslov Well-Known Member

Nice! Are you going to do the Road Atlanta round this year or cycle jam next year?

9. Lizard 1

Lizard 1 Well-Known Member

We skipped Grattan a month ago and same as last year, to run the Road America round. Also, we were at the first Grattan, at every other NC round and will be the rest of the season. VMDs allow modern classes like 600s, 1000s and HWT, MWT and LWT classes. Sounds like you are fishing for drama.

10. Lizard 1

So, Matt's 1:32 in first early morning practice means the surface is the second worse surface in the series of tracks we race???

The track is sketchy when cold and especially when wet. But, early morning is rideable as noted by the lap times Matt had. Also, everyone rides the same surface and can actually be a way to learn more about your bike. I have always giggled quietly at the guys that complain about morning practice. No track is optimal in the early morning... But, the track during the weekend was some of the best racing we have had. The surface was great. I'd accept if you were talking wet or rain at all. But this weekend? It was damn near perfect.

11. Lizard 1

Nobody complained outside those in the early morning. Again, Carr did a 1:32 in the first and only morning practice on shagged slicks. The surface being complained about this weekend? The people complaining should double check the times... The surface was great. I ran slow in practice Sunday as I was trying a few setup things and only trying some reference spots and nothing more. I cut out early as well and didn't run the whole time. It wasn't as bad as the morning practice Friday, but again... Everyone had the same surface and our garage had the fastest times... Something had to be good seeing the times we saw all weekend... Again, rain or drizzle? Yeah... Then you can say the surface sucks.

12. Lizard 1

Top times were Kevin (KMC on here) and Matt Carr on Ducati 1199Rs. Both were the fastest Saturday in the races as well as Sunday. Nobody on any 1000 ran faster...

13. maslov

maslov Well-Known Member

Last year was my first time there... the very first track day of the season... twilight was canceled due to weather... the next morning we woke up to 34 degrees to start the day... I only had slicks... so I got into novice and was learning the track slipping around the whole fucking place! But come race day last year I felt really good as a result. When my bike was running properly for a few laps on Friday morning I only had one moment where my front slipped coming over the hill under the bridge... yea, it’s not the best surface, but it’ll do. You can say barber with its wheepers is just as bad.

14. DucatiBomber

DucatiBomber DJ Double A

I don’t care if someone said the surface was ok in the afternoon. Anyone who says they wouldnt go faster if the surface was better is a liar.
    The surface sucks.
    MotoAmerica won’t even Go there because of the surface
    But hey defend the surface.
    You race there in the rain? :crackup:

Ride safe,
    AAron

15. Lizard 1

And before everyone gets butt hurt, a LOT of fast times this weekend. Seriously talented riders and more faster than I was this weekend. I usually do better but whatever the case, there are a ton of guys in that "FAST AS SHIT" category and deserve a pat on the back. Times in the :30-:31 range deserve to be credited as fast sum bitches. I am just saying that when people say the track surface sucks, they usually mean the early morning or the wet. In the case for thee weekend, times proved that the track was really good.

NOW... Do I think that the keyhole looked as if they went to Home Depot and bought self mixing patch to fix the potholes up there? Yes. The track is a better than it currently is facility. The surface needs to be redone and I suspect that at some point, major series will push it to do so. Nelson has even been repaved!!! But, with Pitt being my new favorite NC track, the surface and facility is challenging Mid-Ohio for the honors of best. But I wouldn't put the track below Gingerman, Grattan, or even Putnam. I love Putnam, but the track is better and is challenging moreso. I also wouldn't put it below Nelson even with the repave. in fact, the off track run off at Nelson is still shit and at the new speeds, I wouldn't want to go off track.

Point is that we have a great track in Mid-Ohio. But you all are right. It deserves a better surface. But the surface wasn't a key element this weekend in slower times.

rcarson15 likes this.
  16. Lizard 1

You didn't read my response. I said wet it isn't great. It's dangerous and why MotoAmerica won't go there. Plus, Pitt is willing to accomodate and why would you have a track within 3 hours of one another and expect attendance to be good in population count areas of rural Ohio/PA?

But when the track is like this weekend, you cannot say it sucks. Sure, times would be faster, but the record set my Mladin was on the same surface. In fact, we were the first to ride prior to the AMA test and when they put out the water trucks, it was slick as shit!! But, it was the same surface.

17. DucatiBomber

DucatiBomber DJ Double A

Wet it’s impossible to ride on. It’s downright dangerous. That’s not acceptable at any track and to call it a premier track is a joke when that’s a factor.
    Most mornings it’s a mess (even with no rain).
    It would be like me saying the bumps on the old PittRace back straight didn’t make the track worse.

Many racers won’t even go there (MidOhio) due to the surface.

Do you have stock in the place or something because you aren’t being rational.

Ride safe,
    AAron

MELK-MAN likes this.
  18. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

surface.. and close proximity to a lot of walls (it appears, never raced there but i'm not a horrible judge of safety having ridden fair number of both safe, and some not-so-safe tracks)

19. slowohioboy344

slowohioboy344 Well-Known Member

I wish that the Pitt owners could buy Mid-Oh and fix it. Then we could get Moto-America to Mid-O!!!

Pitt is currently a better track in my opinion, but not built to hold any major event. Spectator area, ability to move around, and just the area for people to be is lacking at Pitt.

The old days of vintage weekend followed by the superbike weekend at Mid- Ohio were great. It was a destination, and drew large crowds before the fall of the series. Would be great to someday see that again.

20. cav115

cav115 Well-Known Member

A superbike expert??

EDIT:

I see now, you mean HW twins superbike, not A superbike.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018