1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

High blood pressure remedies

Discussion in 'General' started by redtailracing, Jul 5, 2018.

1. redtailracing

redtailracing gone tuna fishin'

I’ve actually thought about trying that before. Always thought it seemed like it would be relieving. Just never got around to looking for a place.

2. MikeDeRoche

MikeDeRoche SailCaptain

Eat a can of sardines or tuna fish every day but mostly sardines. Two years ago I was 132/88 and the dr. wanted to put me on some pills. As I don't take any meds currently I was reluctant to start. After 6 months, with no other changes in diet or exercise, I was down to 124/82. After a year 120/76, now going on two years and down to 113/68.

Sardines are an acquired taste to put it mildly but after a while you start to look forward to them. I have them for lunch. Don't mess with the sardines in mustard or hot sauce, just the pure fish in oil. I have found the King Oscar brand to be the best quality and taste (in relative terms of course). There is research that shows a correlation between eating a diet high in cold water fishes and low bp/healthy heart.

This probably doesn't work for everyone but, if the average american diet has harmed our health, this one little change might work for many.

3. K51000

K51000 Well-Known Member

Your Doc wanted to start B/P meds for a pressure of 132/88? Find a new doc.
    You all are aware that B/P fluctuates a little by the minute?
    Also, ever hear of 'white coat syndrome'? For some/many- It's real too

OP-
    Hopefully you have had your b/p taken multiple times, over multiple days?

Good luck to all, stay healthy, stay safe!

badmoon692008 likes this.
  4. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Evelyne has been through most of them. Beta blockers sucked overall but worked, did a couple of them that had the cough side effect. Not sure what she's on now but it's one that acts as a diuretic so she has to pop potassium every so often.

White coast syndrome definitely happens - also the electronic machines seem to always read high. Her doc will have the nurse do an initial read then later he does one old school. Hers is always lower then - but still high enough for meds, just not the initials imminent stroke reading :D

5. 90kacoupe

90kacoupe Novice seeking Help

Get a bike and come ride!

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

6. ToofPic

ToofPic Well-Known Member

I found out about the coughing side effects by accident.I don't recall the med,but it definitely made me cough.
    Some old man at my Wauka Mtn.office was complaining about the coughing,and then it all made sense.
    I had coughed my ass off on the same med,but never knew that was what caused it.Had it changed immediately,and it went away.

7. rocalotopus

rocalotopus thick member

people need to stop believing their brains and bodies act independently, and are separate things.

stress is a sneaky, stone cold killer.

8. d_alexand

d_alexand Well-Known Member

+1

9. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

Listen to this Fat Indian Guy 10 min a day. Seriously. (fast forward to 5:50)

Meditation has helped me immensely to reduce stress, you are too young to be accepting a lifetime of stress with no relief.

A lifetime of unmitigated high blood pressure will lead to said life being shorter via a stroke, aneurism, or heart attack. You have to do something. Sounds like you already exercise alot. The white coat syndrome is real, but you can learn alot if you start checking it regularly. If it becomes routine and you're still high, you know you need to do something. I bought a cheapo cuff and learned to do it myself. It's pretty simple.

@ToofPic You need to go to the doctor, that could have been a mild heart attack.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 8, 2018
    ToofPic likes this.
  10. thebrieldeal

thebrieldeal Active Member

So as someone who works in the medical field I will do my best to explain some common things but please do not think I am acting as your online physician. That being said...

Cut bodyfat. Fat requires no blood other than to supply it with more fat. The capillaries must grow to move from the body to the skin and that looooong narrow tube stacks red blood cells up causing a congestion effect. It takes more pressure to move them around. When you drop weight, you drop bp points. This is simple fact and should be the most serious contender. If you are male and have a bodyfat of 20% or greater... lean out.

Get more potassium in your diet. Most people are sodium high due to our processed and preserved foods. The two need to be in balance to let the smooth muscle of the arteries relax. This being said, cutting sodium out of your diet isn't necessarily going to do squat. Your body is always attempting to regain homeostasis. That being balance. If you eat too much salt, you will drink more fluids and then urinate it out. The only time you deal directly with sodium as an issue is when your kidneys are not functioning well. The whole low sodium thing came from a study that really wasn't all that conclusive and poorly managed. Look it up... plenty of facts on it. (Same thing with cholesterol)

A couple of alcholic drinks can help to reduce your average bp day to day by vasodilation (yes week does this as well) but both have their own issues much like medications. Lower your caffeine or other stimulant intake.

You cannot feel high blood pressure as a symptom. Plenty of people think that but it truly is a silent killer.

Learn to take a blood pressure the correct way. An incorrectly sized bp cuff or incorrectly used cuff and stethoscope placement will cause and error in readings. (And unfortunately a lot of EMTs, nurses and the like are actually terrible at it and have really poor technique) A robo cuff is really unreliable as well. They should not be the end all be all to your averages.

A lot of blood pressure issues is truly based on your physical condition and the rest is based on genetics. If your family is prone to high blood pressure, so are you. BUT.... You can better it to a degree that beats medications often. I will say that if you have significant blood pressures, taking a medication while you get the body back in order is the best way to go. The longer you leave it untreated, the harder the heart works and the larger it gets. There is no reversal of CHF. Once you have it, you have it.

Good luck.

turner38 likes this.