1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Loud pipes and the knuckle dragging morons that use them

Discussion in 'General' started by tiggen, Jun 24, 2018.

1. tiggen

tiggen Things are lookin' up.

Took the family to Helen, GA, for the weekend. It was nice: state parks, tubing, waterfalls, pretty good food. But the pipes on the bikes were an nuisance.

Don't get me wrong. When I go to the race track I dont wear ear plugs most of the time. I want to hear it, even if it makes my ears bleed. But I don't want to have to repeatedly shout across the table when I'm asking my five year old what her favorite part of the day was. It seriously put a blight on the weekend, cruisers and sport bikes included.

Pixelator and zertrider like this.
  2. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

Yep. It gets old real fast in a situation like that with your family.

3. zertrider

zertrider Waiting for snow. Or sun.

But, but, but, loud pipes save lives:rolleyes:

Gorilla George and Mot Okstef like this.
  4. Woofentino Pugr

Woofentino Pugr Well-Known Member

I've pissed many of those clowns off with the "If loud pipes save lives, imagine what actually learning to ride could do" comment.

5. Uncle Snake

Uncle Snake Well-Known Member

Brumbrumbrumbrummmm, BrumBBBRum, BRUm, BRUM!!!!!!! braabrrabrum......

Hooligan, ruckusracing and tiggen like this.
  6. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

7. 418

418 Expert #59

These are the same people that go up there to enjoy peace and quite of the moutains. Go figure.

Gorilla George likes this.
  8. Robin172

Robin172 Well-Known Member

I get these clowns riding past my house regularly, if the doors or windows are open the noise completely drowns out the TV or radio. The bloody things are louder than my racing bike....and I race vintage.

TurboBlew and 418 like this.
  9. In Helen and places like that it’s just stupid as it’s not the loud pipes but the idiot on the bike they are attached to. If people just revved their bike when needed to for forward momentum only it wouldn’t be so bad.

10. Used2Bfast 2

Used2Bfast 2 Still in the saddle

Welcome to my world this time of year. I live next to the scary dragon with all the pirate Slayers about on their loud arse lawn mower tech Harley’s. All here clogging up our roads while wobbling along at 31 in a 55 and hopelessly strung out 20 deep so your stuck behind them forever.

Hooligan, MachineR1, MGM and 7 others like this.
  11. Bloodhound

Bloodhound Well-Known Member

Anymore I can't decide which irritates me more, hearing a sportbike with some sort of sonic octave megaphone exhaust bouncing off the rev limiter at a stop light or the 2 wheeled bar stools trying feverishly to accelerate to 45mph using the entire rev range and normally 4 gears with their dead awakener, fish tipped, straight pipe exhausts...

Gixxerguy855 and Gorilla George like this.
  12. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Buncha old fuddy dud haters up in this bitch tonight.

13. Sweatypants

Sweatypants I am so smart! S-M-R-T... I mean S-M-A-R-T!

red light rev'ing and harleys are annoying sure, but i'll say this... i live, not close like next to, but close enough to a super smooth nice toll road with nice straights and some nice radius sweepers that if i'm outside late at night in the summer, i can hear it. there's definitely dudes that just rip it on sportbikes sometimes when i'm walking the dog, and i foreal don't think i'll ever get tired of a sportbike cracked wide open. i like it. if it was permeating my house and i couldn't sleep, that'd be different i guess, but you can't hear it from inside, so i don't mind. makes me smile.

14. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Positive anymore
    "Twitter can be a professional job anymore."
    (YGDP Database 2011)

Positive anymore is the usage of the word anymore in a non-negative context, as in the following examples from Murray (1993):

1) a. Pantyhose are so expensive anymore that ...

b. Anymore those things are completely useless.

This usage of anymore is different from the standard English anymore, which is a negative polarity item (meaning that it must occur in a negative or negative-like environment, such as after a negative word like not or nobody, or in a question like Do you ever go there anymore?).

Contents
    Who says this?
    Syntactic properties
    Semantic properties
    Positive anymore in the literature
    References
    Further reading

Who says this?
    The Dictionary of American Regional English describes the geographical distribution of positive anymore as "scattered but least frequent in New England." It is well-attested in a variety of Midwestern states as stated by Murray (1993), and American Speech papers (Carter 1932, Cox 1932, Ferguson 1932, Krumpelmann 1939, Malone 1931, Parker 1975, Shields 1997, Youmans 1986) mention instances in West Virginia, South Carolina, Missouri, Pennsylvania, and southern Ontario. Punske and Barss (2011) discuss the unique distribution of positive anymore in the variety of Southwestern American English spoken in Tucson, Arizona. It has also been reported in parts of New Jersey (Coye 2009).

According to Murray (1993:178,184), the distribution of positive anymore does not seem to be governed by sociolinguistic factors such as social class, gender, and age. His study did not have a diverse racial distribution.

Syntactic Properties
    Occurrence in utterance-initial position
    For some speakers, anymore may occur at the start of an utterance, as in the following example:

2) Anymore, John smokes.
    (Punske and Barss, 2011)

Tense restrictions
    As observed by Parker (1975), positive anymore can only occur in present tense environments. For example, of the following three sentences, only (3b) is acceptable:

3) a. *When he got more free time, he exercised a lot anymore.

b. He has plenty of free time, so he exercises a lot anymore.

c. *When the summer break starts, he'll exercise a lot anymore.

In this respect, positive anymore resembles nowadays. For example, (4b) is the only acceptable sentence of the following three:

4) a. *When he got more free time, he exercised a lot nowadays.

b. He has plenty of free time, so he exercises a lot nowadays.

c. *When the summer break starts, he'll exercise a lot nowadays.

However, these tense restrictions are not present when anymore is used as a negative polarity item. Thus, the following are all acceptable:

5) a. He felt antsy because he didn't exercise anymore.

b. He has very little free time, so he never exercises anymore.

c. When you start your new job, you won't have time to exercise anymore.

Semantic properties
    Positive anymore has been said to mean approximately 'nowadays,' referring "to an activity or situation that was not formerly true, but has come to be characteristic of the present" (Murray 1993, p. 174). For example, Gas is pretty expensive anymore means 'Gas is pretty expensive nowadays (though it wasn't earlier).' However, this characterization does not apply to all attestations of anymore; for example, the sentences in (6) do not imply that the opposite used to be true:

6) a. You stay in your office too late anymore.
    (Krumpelmann 1939:156)

b. They still use that custom anymore.
    (Eitner 1949:311)

15. Bloodhound

Honestly, not really but the sportbike riders that do shit like I mentioned puts the majority of the riders in a negative light among the police and citizens on the road... I'd rather they learned to ride their lowered, neon under glow motorcycles first.

16. ToofPic

ToofPic Well-Known Member

Thats Helen,tourist shit hole full of people that want/need all the attention.Its a place that you wanna see one time,then avoid like the plague for the remainder of you're life.
    Go back when the Volkswagen weekend is going on.

Marid2apterbilt likes this.
  17. 418

418 Expert #59

Think steeltoe snapped.

But I don't see a map...

Steeltoe likes this.
  18. Bloodhound

Show us on a doll where your male English teacher touched you...

condon66, TLR67, Chris and 1 other person like this.
  19. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

20. Pixelator

Pixelator Well-Known Member

Its annoying as hell!!

I live on the water along the Florida Scenic Highway and every pirate clad jolly roger riding asshole that passes by is in second or third gear on and off the throttle making as much noise as possible. Worse during snowbird season when they bring their bikes down from up north. Every red light there's a Harley revving the piss out of their bike for no reason other than attention.