1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tapping swingarm for spools or inserts?

Discussion in 'General' started by mike-guy, Jun 21, 2018.

1. mike-guy

mike-guy Well-Known Member

I broke off the spool tabs on my gsxr and have been using the under swingarm style since. Sometimes it gets in the way of removing the axle, sometimes it slides forwards when I'm dropping the front or working on it. Wanting to just put spools in the side just in front of where the axle blocks stop. Should I drill and tap it (which I can't imagine would be a lot of threads) or use a Helicoil or Timesert (which I have in m8 x 1.25). Also thought that a heavy bolt like a m8 in a crash could crack/twist the swingarm material.

2. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Have a piece of round solid welded back on and drill and tap it. Put your spool back on.

Newsshooter and Robby-Bobby like this.
  3. BSA43

BSA43 Well-Known Member

Make a new tab, have it welded on.

4. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

Get some round stock or aluminum tubing. Weld it, drill and tap.

5. neckbrace

neckbrace Well-Known Member

If I broke the spool bosses off my swing arm I'd either buy a used swinger or get a set of those bitchin' Lightech chain adjusters with the optional lifters.

JBowen33 and Kyle Brosius like this.
  6. mike-guy

I was kind of hoping to avoid removing it and having stuff welded. Are these not cast aluminum too?

7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

No need to remove it.

8. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Man, I'd rather have new spool adaptors welded on. Them breaking off relieves some of the force being transferred to the swinging arm.

9. Thistle

Thistle Well-Known Member

I drilled out my swingarm to accommodate a shark-guard. There isn't a lot of meat there to thread. You'd get 2-3 threads max - which probably wouldn't hold up after routine stand use. I'd go the welded option.

mike-guy likes this.
  10. mike-guy

My thought too which is why I would want to use a smaller soft bolt.

11. YamRZ350

YamRZ350 Nicorette Dependent

Riv-nut if you don't want to weld. Not the cheap junk that comes with shark guards, but nice knurled style from McMaster-Carr.

TurboBlew likes this.
  12. CBR723

CBR723 Well-Known Member

Call pit-bull, I bought a set of ready to weld on spool adapters for my f2. I'm sure they have aluminum ones. Charlie welded it on for me since I was local but I'm sure they sell to you and just get welded on.

13. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

If you have them welded with the swingarm on the bike make sure you unhook the ground off the battery and unplug the ecu.

Metalhead likes this.
  14. MotoGP69

MotoGP69 Well-Known Member

Love my Lightech adjusters/lifters!