1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any of you folks core drill concrete?

Discussion in 'General' started by Fencer, Jun 19, 2018.

1. Fencer

Fencer Well-Known Member

I need a new faster drill, prefer a hand held rig up to 4 inches.

Currently use a stand mounted Milwaukee.

Looking for reccomendations

2. Benmont

Benmont Well-Known Member

I use the hilti dd 150. Probably takes about 5 minutes to do a 6 inch deep 4 inch wide hole without rebar. Alot of the speed is in the bits. The 450$ bit is about 3 times faster than the 150$ one. Also make sure you're anchoring the base well before you start drilling.

3. Sprinky

Sprinky Well-Known Member

Hilti

/thread

If you’re doing a lot of inside work, especially in finished walls, their new vac / slurry recycler thing is the cats ass.

4. Fencer

Fencer Well-Known Member

Does your hilti have a clutch for when it grabs rebar?

5. Uncle Punk

Uncle Punk Member

6. Why? You like your arms or something? :)

7. My advice for drilling cement would be a good Rock bit.

The Diamond PDC bits are very expensive, and no sense "wasting" them on drilling cement when a standard Rock bit will do a sufficient job.

Once you have finished drilling out the casing shoe, cement, and 10' of new formation, then finished the Leak-Off Test (or Formation Integrity Test, depending on if you want to actually break down the formation, or just verify its structural integrity to a pressure equivalent to the hydrostatic pressure of the desired mud weight plus the anticipated pump pressure while drilling, aka equivalent circulating density), you can trip out and swap the Rock bit for a good PDC bit.

Of course, this is assuming the increased rate-of-penetration of the PDC bit will save enough time to offset the time required to trip out of the hole and back in to swap bits, if not then just stick with the Rock bit.

:D

crashman and Metalhead like this.
  8. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

But do you run into much rebar in Permian formations?

:moon:

9. Benmont

Benmont Well-Known Member

No clutch but they will make it through the rebar no problem. You just maintain steady pressure. Its got a light on the drill that tells you when your pressing down the right amount.

10. Nope, only dinosaur teeth. :D

11. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

You bring them home to your rugrat?

12. Fencer

Fencer Well-Known Member

My current rig has bucked like a wild mustang once or twice over its lifetime.

13. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

To clarify you are drilling holes 4” in diameter or 4” deep? Big difference. We do both and for a core of 4” dia. We use a diamond tip core bit on a Milwaukee drill. No clutch, just don’t be in the way of the drill if it grabs. For a 4” deep hole we use Hilti hammer drill with a concrete bit.

Edit: 4” dia. Is typically when we call a professional core driller. Normally ends up being quicker and cheaper.

TurboBlew likes this.
  14. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

weka... end of story. Also get the high diamond content bit(s) if you need fast cutting.

15. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

If you want the holes really fast I could rig up some shape charges. No drill needed. Just some chemicals and a shit ton of champagne bottles.(for the cone shape on the bottom)
    :D

Fencer likes this.
  16. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Odd question.

I've noticed more and more people putting the 150$ after the amount. I learned to do it before the amount $150. I figured it was a European thing but I'm seeing it all over the place? Is this how they teach it in school now? TIA

17. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Huh, good question!

18. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

Think of it like Ebonics. It’s not dollars 450. It’s 450 dollars. :D

19. joec

joec brace yourself

Hilti. Vacuum base. I drilled 5" hole through about a 6" slab without the vacuum base. Never again. But I asked Brandon cretu about the bar too and he said it wouldn't even slow it down. It did a beautiful job. Perfect. I've since used one of the vacuum based with the drill press thing and omg it's like magic.

I'd pm cretu and see wher he knows from when he was with them. But Hilti all the way.

Phl218 likes this.
  20. 2Fer

2Fer Is good

I use a Hilti from Brandon, I love mine, I think it is a DD130. It does have a clutch but it doesn't always grab quick enough. I routinely do 3.5" holes from pool ladders and handrails, it has enough power to run a much larger bit though.