1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MotoGP | Catalunya | Spain | 2018 | Jun 15-17

Discussion in 'General' started by BigBird, Jun 11, 2018.

1. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

I found that particular quote to be quite astonishing as well......

2. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

Pardon my likely ignorance, but..............I also don't understand how a MotoGP bike's braking forces are all THAT much stronger than any other race bike with similar geometry.

Sure, carbon-carbon brakes can take more punishment and resist fade from the types of speeds that these machines are capable of, but you can only brake/decelerate so hard until that rear wheel starts to climb, and logic tells me the difference between braking as hard as possible on a well-set-up supersport race bike and a MotoGP machine should be all that different. GP-level suspension and tires will allow you to hold greater braking pressure deeper into a corner, but in a straight line there shouldn't be much difference.

Feel free to tear my comments to shreds, if necessary.

3. Sweatypants

Sweatypants I am so smart! S-M-R-T... I mean S-M-A-R-T!

i'd assume, just like with car racing... that the tires will give up before any level top tier braking system runs out of gusto and will always be the limiting factor. Either the rear wheel will climb, or the tires will lock up and lose their braking traction, before any of these billet titanium carbon yada yada brakes fade off or fail to meet the task.

4. G 97

G 97 Garth

No idea how but according to Aleix it was possible with the Bridgestones.
    I’m sure it all boils down to simple physics. :D

5. rwdfun

rwdfun

Sounds more like magic. I'm just interested in finding out where I can get some of that.

6. renegade17

renegade17 Well-Known Member

Switch to Bridgestone dummy

7. rwdfun

rwdfun

Do they come with the magic powder because otherwise they won't do that either

8. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Melka is about to come in here and clean house on all y'all.

9. G.Rand

G.Rand Well-Known Member

10. rwdfun

rwdfun

I think that has been Beeb defined as getting Babuska'ed, right?

11. prospected

prospected Well-Known Member

With his Carillo broomstick?

12. Lazy Destroyer

Lazy Destroyer Well-Known Member

Just a quick random guess but if the wheelbase is longer on a MotoGP bike, it will help keep it more planted on acceleration and braking. I seem to recall someone doing a test ride on a MotoGP bike this year or last year (on a Ducati too I think), it was a pro rider but one who had never ridden a current gen MotoGP bike and he commented a few times at how crazy long the wheelbase was, and how difficult it was to turn compared to a more traditional race bike.

13. renegade17

Ill show you at mid ohio cupcake.

14. rwdfun

rwdfun

Um. It's the wings duh

Bring it Dad. My body work is messed up so I ain't got nuttin to lose, except 20ish lbs

Last edited: Jun 19, 2018
  15. renegade17

Thats cute.

16. Lazy Destroyer

Lazy Destroyer Well-Known Member

*winglets
    and duh why didn't I think of that? The announcers only said "winglets" like a billion times or so the last couple years. I guess I've repressed that word from my memory completely.

17. gixxerboy55

gixxerboy55 Well-Known Member

I would guess the Motogp bike would brake harder because it's lighter and has better tires,and because it has carbon brakes you would have better control.

18. tzrider

tzrider CZrider

My '93 TZ had cast iron disks and those brakes were 'oh so much sweeter' than the SS disks on the '99.

You're correct that in terms of braking geometry, GP bikes don't have that much over street bike (besides being much lighter). It's more a question of brake response IMHO....

19. SGVRider

SGVRider Well-Known Member

Yeah I agree if Marc chucks it Lorenzo is more likely to win than Rossi. I won’t count out Dovi either, he’s been a legit threat to win at every track. Yet inconsistency from those 3 ( which we’ve had all season) could bring it Rossi’s way, even if that chance is small. I think Lorenzo is going to keep going like stink in the dry, but we’ll have to see what he’s like in mixed conditions. That’s been his bugaboo for several years. This year reminds me of 2015 a lot vis a vis Rossi consistently putting it on the box and his competition throwing it away. The only problem is the Yamaha still seems to be a turd and Marquez has gelled perfectly with the Honda.

So can you take essentially short someone in a bet, or do you have to take a long position on something? I would put $100 right now on Marquez not taking the title, but I’m not sure which competitor will pick up the pieces.

20. HPPT

HPPT !!!

You pretty much only bet on someone on Bwin. Sometimes they would offer a bit on the field, but it's usually the rest of the field versus something like 10 individual names. I don't think I've seen the field versus one guy.

And I didn't mean that Rossi's chances are small compared to Lorenzo. The man is in second place. I just think that Lorenzo is more likely to overtake him.