1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MotoGP 2019 Silly Season

Discussion in 'General' started by TX Joose, Apr 24, 2018.

1. SGVRider

SGVRider Well-Known Member

Not stupid at all from the political calculus.
    Of course the offer was designed to make him reject it. The offer was a poison pill. Reportedly he still had support from top Honda bigwigs, those Japs love loyalty and being a company man. So Puig didn’t have enough juice to dump Dani outright, but he had enough to give him a shitty offer he’d reject. Puig gambled correctly the shit offer would be turned down and he’d move Dani out.

It amazes me that Puig managed to make his way back to the factory team as the manager no less after he lost his fight with Alzamora and Team Marc. Maybe Puig and Lorenzo are both ways to hedge the power of the Marquez? Lest he become the tail that wags the dog just like Yamaha’s fate. Those guys are crafty.

2. SGVRider

Hope so. I’d hate to see a rider of his talent on a Shitprilia. That dude can be a threat to win and podium every track. When he feels like it. “When he feels like it” is also why he’ll probably never be champion unless every star aligns.

3. tzrider

tzrider CZrider

Dani is no dummy, his boxes were pretty much packed the day he heard about the Puig hiring.... He had time to mull over what is next move was.

Unfortunately for us, that move was the recliner, slippers & a wide screen TV showing futball only.....

4. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

When Vinales left Suzuki offered Pedrosa the job and he shat on the offer. I like him for being one of the original Aliens but he probably should have taken that.

5. The Great One

The Great One Well-Known Member

I can't blame him for taking the approach that he did.

It was a better long term investment to stay at Honda and then become an HRC ambassador during retirement.

Knowing that, he offered his services to Suzuki for hail-mary money. Unfortunately they don't give a shit about their MotoGP program and they said no.

ShadowBoxer likes this.
  6. SGVRider

Yeah Dani knows what's what. I hope the rumors are wrong (I haven't seen confirmation) and that he rides a Yamaha if that Petronas thing actually comes to fruition. Or a Suzuki! However at this point there probably isn't much reason for him to want to. Plus with the injuries he's taken being able to still piss standing up is a big win, no need to take risks if it won't lead to a championship. Honda will also give him a sweet ass gig where he'll still be involved in MotoGP, probably more appealing than a long shot on another bike. I think he'll retire from competition, maybe take some time off and then be back with Honda in some kind of managerial or promotional capacity. I'd love to see him eventually become Repsol boss and give Puig the boot in turn. :D

Pretty sad he never took the championship, but he's had an amazing career of which anyone should be immensely proud. Better than 99% of guys who make it to GP and better than some who even became champion.

7. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Maybe so but he'd still be racing on a factory team if he'd taken it. And as for HRC Ambassador they haven't been quite as wonderful to past champs as Yamaha and Suzuki or Ducati. They (Honda) don't diefy their champions at all that I have seen.

8. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

I seem to remember (probably incorrectly) that Rossi doesn't even have any of his championship Honda bikes.

Sneak edit: Which is one of the reasons that he left, as they wouldn't honor his requests.

9. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Well he showed those fuckers!

10. helitech

helitech Well-Known Member

Ahhh that’s what it was, forgot he tucked the front. He claims he would’ve moved over. Guess we’ll never know. My bad for the bad gouge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. Robin172

Robin172 Well-Known Member

It's funny how so much has changed in twelve years.

12. scottn

scottn Well-Known Member

13. 600 dbl are

600 dbl are Shake Zoola the mic rula

Because he never had it written in his contract.

Hayden was awarded his 2006 RC211V because he had it written in his contract.

14. The Great One

The Great One Well-Known Member

Wasn't there a rumor that Rossi gave Hayden the heads-up to get this in writing? We're talking about something from 12 years ago, but for some reason I seem to remember this?

15. 600 dbl are

600 dbl are Shake Zoola the mic rula

Probably, but I don't see how Hayden could get it written into his contract but Rossi couldn't? Unless HRC really believed Hayden didn't have a chance in hell so they said "fuck it, why not".

16. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

That's what I was thinking. Dani was the heir to the crown, and Nicky was riding the test bike all season and won the championship in spite of Dani having the "better" bike.

17. KrooklynSV

KrooklynSV Usual Suspect

18. BigBird

BigBird blah

badmoon692008 likes this.
  19. TX Joose

TX Joose Well-Known Member

Before the bike breaks down?

20. BigBird

BigBird blah

yep.