1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New or slightly use R1 owners

Discussion in 'General' started by ghetto customs, May 22, 2018.

1. ghetto customs

ghetto customs Who's that Parrish guy?

Ive been approached to enlarge a new R1 tank. The whole cut and weld process wont be the problem, im searching for do's and dont's. Can it be raised, if so, how tall can it go before its uncomfortable? I dont know if any electronics are mounted to the tank that can not be moved , yadda yadda yadda.

I need ideas and experience to this thread please! Pics of ideas, drawings, scribbles, whatever. I think im searching to add 1.5 gallons.

Cheers!
    Parrish #128

2. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

I believe they extend under the seat.

3. buzz-06

buzz-06 Well-Known Member

4. tdelegram

tdelegram Well-Known Member

I think Kyles tank requires ABS removal.

5. ghetto customs

I think the ABS situation and stock seat is already a problem for underseat construction...

Anyone that rides/races a new R1 , would you have a problem with it being wider and taller?

6. dickie doo

dickie doo Well-Known Member

7. tittys04

tittys04 Well-Known Member

I don't know details, but I was talking to Swenson about an R1 tank a few months ago. My advice is make damn sure you have enough depth for your dry break to work before paint. He put a dry break on one (I don't think he extended the capacity at all, just added the dry break), went to connect the fill tank and realized the tank wasn't deep enough for the valve to open.

8. ghetto customs

Ive seen a tank that was still a stock size but had a dry break ring installed. The kicker was it had about a 2 inch rize to compensate for the dry break. Cool looking, yet ugly so lifting the top work but wondering if it'll ride ok.

Back in the day, raising tanks were never a problem. Rode it like you stole it!

9. rafa

rafa Well-Known Member

dickie doo likes this.
  10. D-Swens

D-Swens sniffin paint fumes

mmm... not sure what you are talking about with that one Eric. We've done tons of R1 tanks, but all the ones I've ever added a dry-break, we have always done with perfect fit. Eddie's was the one of the first we added a dry-break on, and realized about that issue durring mock-up, long before cutting / welding ( assuming that's the one you are thinkin of).

Long story short, It is a huge PIA, and yes you either have to raise the dry-break up with tube, shorten the dry-break, or raise the top of the tank. It's all a pia in one way or another...

11. D-Swens

D-Swens sniffin paint fumes

We have been in a cool position over the last few years, where we got tanks to paint from a lot of different teams, and got to see how people
    Long story short, it's kind of all a PIA one way or another. If it's a proper race bike, ABS is prob removed anyway. Under the seat is by far the best place to add. It really isn't tough on the bike owner to make room in the seat / tail area.

I'm certainly not fast enough on a bike to be effected, but most of the fast guys have said adding fuel up top on that tank vs under the seat is a huge difference in handling characteristics. That level or ridding is above my pay grade, but that's the word on the street.

As far as more PIA issues, adding a box on the back, under the seat, causes the fuel to rush to the back of the tank under acceleration, so it needs "stairstep" baffles welded inside to keep the gas up front ( fuel pump has to stay relative to OEM location). Unless you go full nuts superbike...

Long story short, there is a good reason why people are charging big bucks to do these... it is A LOT of intricate, detail work.

12. ghetto customs

PIA challenge i dont mind.
    I dont have the bike to mock and build under the seat. Im thinking to cut down the middle and crossways between cap and front mounts, widen it about an inch and raising it an inch. Leaving to where the front tank cover can still be used and simply bulking up the tank.

Itll be some work i know, so whats an R1's riders think of a bulkier tank?

13. tittys04

tittys04 Well-Known Member

Ah, I apologize, I got my story mixed up with another. I knew you found an issue, I was thinking it was further down the fab road though. Glad you corrected me.

14. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

I'd take a look at the covers most racers are using on the contact portion of the tank. Free volume and it's beneficial to the racer.

15. ghetto customs

Youre gonna have to elaborate on this a little more... Covers? Free volume?

16. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

Email me at [email protected] and I'll send you pics.