1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tick killer for Yards with Kids

Discussion in 'General' started by BigBird, May 21, 2018.

1. BigBird

BigBird blah

Seems like I'm freaking out over ticks in our yard, while my neighbors are meh about it. Maybe it's because we were city folk or what, but yeah, I'd rather not deal with it especially with the kids. We also have mosquitos, but since spraying with a rosemary/peppermint oil thing from domyown.com it's been definitely reduced, and well makes my back and front yard smell like cream soda. We do have deer that stop by. So I guess we need to not make them stop by, but they are so nice to see.

so what's the best for killing these little beasts? so many options I see, is Permethrin the answer?what dose? is there a combo for tick/mosquitos?

2. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

Is not the answer in your 1st paragraph? :D

BigBird likes this.
  3. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

My vote goes to a flea/ tick collar but your wife might not like that approach.

BigBird and codyjphoto like this.
  4. codyjphoto

codyjphoto Well-Known Member

Termidor. Order it online, same active ingredient as flea and tick meds for pets.
    Fipronil

BigBird likes this.
  5. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Rid the yard of the food source, IE your kids, and they'll leave on their own.

6. SBKBee

SBKBee Owner: FZ hotel

Get a Guinea hen or two, problem solved. Possums also love ticks.

Steeltoe and BigBird like this.
  7. Rising

Rising Well-Known Member

...and deer.

BigBird likes this.
  8. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

BigBird likes this.
  9. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

I just pulled one off my wife that was locked down, my first time having to do that actually. And my last residence had a wooded lot out back and then a golf course so I had plenty of deer in my backyard daily. The difference now? Is that I finally caved in and got the kids a freaking house pet aka a dog. I can just about guarantee you, that's where the tick came from.

10. Kris87

Kris87 Friendly Smartass

Just get a yard full of chickens.

Slider82 and BigBird like this.
  11. Monsterdood

Monsterdood Well-Known Member

We use a company that comes around every 2 weeks, uses a big back pack blower, and sprays some magical stuff all around the yard. Knock on wood, we haven’t had many mosquitos and ticks or other bugs. I think they put what chemical they use in a sign in my yard when they spray so I’ll check it out later. I think we pay $600 per summer season.

BigBird likes this.
  12. BigBird

BigBird blah

Part of my problem, may be my own fault. I usually leave the mulch in the grass after mowing, but now I see that's a no-no for tick prone areas.

13. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

Since it was attached watch for change of health or go ahead and tell your Dr and they may put her on antibiotics, the threat of Lyme disease is no joke anymore

BigBird and XFBO like this.
  14. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

I've had Lyme disease 3 times, err on the side of caution. Plus they carry several other nasty things. If you pull off an attached tick, save it, some areas test them.

noles19 likes this.
  15. codyjphoto

codyjphoto Well-Known Member

I had eight ticks on me the other week from mountain biking a prone area. I came out just fine so far.

16. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

Guinea fowl or chickens. They will clean up a yard pretty quickly.

Outside of that, Avon brand Skin So Soft. Mosquitos and ticks hate it. Don't know why but we've used it for years while hunting and it works really well.

17. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

Thanks! We saved it and she mentioned it to her Dr, apparently, Lyme's isn't that big of a thing in middle Tn...... but she did say to pay attention to rashes and fevers for the next week or so.

noles19 likes this.
  18. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

Here's what I did....I would lean down in their 3 year old faces and say "Ifin you sit on your ass you're gonna get covered in ticks, get bit, and die. Run. Play. Never stop moving".

3 hours later they'd be so damn whipped they'd sleep through the night.

We'd get some sleep, and they'd live to see another day.

StaccatoFan likes this.
  19. BigBird

BigBird blah

We went "hiking" two weeks ago about 10 minutes from the house in a park. Less than an hour walking a flat trail and no real stopping on a cub scout hike, and my kids had three ticks on their clothes. yeah freak city.

Metalhead likes this.
  20. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

White clothes are your friend. Spray Deet on shoes, socks and pantlegs, don't put it on skin.
    Strip search as soon as you come in. Check your pets before they come in.
    You get used to dealing with them. Sort of.

BigBird and Metalhead like this.