1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

rental cars

Discussion in 'General' started by acorn27, Apr 17, 2018.

1. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Here they charge you a fee to cover what the company has to pay the airport for the space. Especially the ones with all the rental car companies in one big building/area.

2. Robin172

Robin172 Well-Known Member

It's probably the same in the UK but everything gets rolled into the price, what you see on the ticket is what you pay there, same when you buy something in a shop.

3. acorn27

acorn27 4 out of 3 people in the world struggle with math

Well, I booked it on Priceline.com. The best deal I could find was $207/day. :( No charge to cancel, so I can keep looking.

While looking I ran across autoslash.com which apparently sends you updates on lower rates for whatever rental parameters you set up. We'll see. I'm also going to see about renting thru Costco. I don't have a membership by my mother in law does.

4. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

All in the price here too - at least when I book one online. Not like they add it on later.

5. Robin172

Robin172 Well-Known Member

Still, the difference in price is quite amazing considering lots of stuff is way more expensive there.

6. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yep. Granted you're not as likely to get as many miles in the UK as here :D

7. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

Rent it round trip and buy the loss damage insurance. Wreck it promptly after arrival at your destination

Phl218, scottn, badmoon692008 and 4 others like this.
  8. josh7owens

josh7owens E-Kart Champ

Look at turo.com

9. acorn27

acorn27 4 out of 3 people in the world struggle with math

Just an update, the AutoSlash site really did pay off. It alerted me to rental price drops, and I was able to cancel and re-reserve three times now. It's taken me down from $207/day to $159/day. Not bad.

L8RSK8R, BigBird and speedluvn like this.
  10. This is not a good plan. One of the reasons the big corporations get large rental car discounts is because they self-insure, thus taking the cost burden off the rental car company. If an employee of said corporation has a crash in the rental car, the company pays for it.

So, for example, if you were to use the discount code for my employer (which is one of the codes on FT, I believe), all of the insurance coverages are waived, even the most basic stuff, and cannot be selected by the renter. If you're in a crash, or damage the vehicle, the rental car company would go to the corporation for payment, and discover that you are not a covered employee. You are then on the hook for all costs, and since you fraudulently rented the vehicle using a discount code to which you were not entitled, your auto insurer and supplemental credit card insurance could deny coverage as well.

Canadian Bacon likes this.
  11. Jay305

Jay305 Well-Known Member

^This. Can’t recommend Costco travel enough. I rented my SUV in Texas a few weeks ago for the GP week. It was 10-15% less expensive than Enterprise even with the plus membership discount. All but once have I also received a class upgrade.

12. BigBird

BigBird blah

Probably not true. Rental cars make a lot of money on the extra insurance, and most of the time is how they make money. IIRC, the rental car is insured like any other car on the road. Obviously, if you're at fault they can try to recover from you, but yeah the discounts stem from quantity of rentals, not due to some relief of insurance burden.

13. Sorry, but you are wrong about this.

https://thegate.boardingarea.com/et...discounts-when-you-are-not-eligible-to-do-so/

Paragraph 7.

14. guzziguy

guzziguy Well-Known Member

If you want to rent at Heathrow choose an offsite location, it can be half the price

15. :stupid:

They don’t like that shit at all.

They make money from renting cars. If people keep taking their cars to other places, they can’t make as much money...unless they go get them...which costs them money. So they are basically charging you their return money up front.

16. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

Why rent there at all? Just take the tube any/everywhere.

17. gt#179

gt#179 Dirt Dork

Big thing I found and specifically on larger vehicles is to check multiple locations around the city. The airport is ALWAYS the most expensive place to rent. I was in CO skiing this past winter. Needed a van for 8 of us plus gear. Rented a big ford something or another off site. Cost about $25 for an uber ride from the airport to downtown but rental went from $1k for a week to like $350. Added an extra hour or so each way (driving back to the airport to pick everyone up) but well worth it for the savings.

18. Yamaha Fan

Yamaha Fan Well-Known Member

Sean it on the head, Airport rental adds $$$$ Enterprise has more off airport sites than any of the Car rental companies. Check the one way rate with them. If you find a better rate off site consider taking a lyft or uber to pick up the car...

19. Rich

Rich Well-Known Member

IIRC Enterprise is generally the best bet for one-way rentals. They charged a $50 flat fee, where most others had a crazy mileage charge