1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

anyone dealing w/ post-concussion-syndrome/cte?

Discussion in 'General' started by SpeedyE, May 7, 2018.

1. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

I have no lasting effects from my many concussions....

In Your Corner and motoboy like this.
  2. DWhyte91

DWhyte91 Well-Known Member

I’m still recovering from my 2016 concussion (#4 or 5) and according to the neurologist there’s nothing that can be done. CAT scan, MRI, and EEG showed clear.

3. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

I have no memory of ever hitting my head.

Seriously, I feel like I'm still dealing with my KO from six years ago (or was it seven?). Or maybe I'm just paying more attention recently, but it was rough for a while and I sometimes feel like I still have a little fog every now and then.

4. OldGuyOnBlu

OldGuyOnBlu Well-Known Member

It will be five years in June since my incident. I had one previous significant concussion, one other I would list as notable and a couple I would write off as minor prior to the big one. I was unconscious for probably a minimum of 15 minutes and then in and out for a couple of days. There was some brain swelling so the trauma doc's deliberately looped me out. It is extremely frustrating, but I know I have some lingering effects. I have a hard time organizing and writing is much harder for me. I have a very hard time noticing my own typos or mistakes. I see what I intended, not what was there. There are many other small things. The neurologists tell me that might be the new normal, but on the plus side further decline or more correctly a faster decline than one would expect at my age is probably unlikely. I do a number of mental "exercises" to help prevent that. They do tell me another hit could leave me drooling.

5. SpeedyE

SpeedyE Experimental prototype, never meant for production

psa: once your brain is unknowingly semi-smoked, it may take as little as catching a cold and coughing for the night, to leave you slurring/drooling/parkinsons/etc.
    also, you may be misdiagnosed for years w/ chronic fatigue syndrome, lyme disease, fibermygala, etc.....chasing ghosts, when all along it was undiagnosed brain damage.
    Once your brain is damgaed, be careful w/ it, it dont take much to up the ante

Last edited: May 10, 2018
    Phl218 likes this.
  6. SpeedyE

what is your natural test at? what is it at with supplementation? what symptoms is it reducing.

No one gets out alive, but slowly becoming unfunctionalble is not worth the tradeoff. be careful

BigBird and motoboy like this.
  7. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

I was around 300 total for three tests over three months, despite changes in diet and my normal intense exercise.

Began supplementing less than a year ago. Settled on ~90mg a week IM. I’ve tested three times and my last two have been 700-800. Not trying to be a bodybuilder so I’m good with it.

SpeedyE likes this.
  8. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

I have no lasting effects from any of my concussions....

renegade17, JJJerry and motoracer1100 like this.
  9. SpeedyE

THey tested my hormone panel to see damage to the pituatary.....i came back at 450 & 650 testosterone, and normal HGH and IGF1 output. I am bedridden prolly 22-23 hours a day from chronic fatigue, I am completely unfunctional, I cannot care for my own daily needs anymore. Did the testosterone up your energy noticably?
    I am working w/ a dr on getting rid of my confusion and vertigo, nausea, and it is slightly helping, but I still do not have the energy to even dress myself, make food, etc.
    Thank you

i remember you had Big Bodybuilder calves and forearms!!!! :)

10. K51000

K51000 Well-Known Member

Wow, sorry for you condition. I hope you recover well and soon.

30 yrs ago, I sustained a TBI/Closed head trauma- from a road bicycle accident that put me in a Glascow Coma Scale Coma of #3 for about 10 days. LONG recovery. Spent the first 6 weeks in the hospital with Occupational therapy, etc. Just cause I went home, I wasn't recovered.
    I am still haunted by that traumatic accident- and having had a true complete out of body experience at the accident scene- I was out, but went back in- hence typing this today.

A year ago, I suffered a Severe concussion with Loss of Consciousness. I had a 'get off', fully geared up, and was unconscious for about 2 minutes, then after about 10 minutes I was a full GCS #15.
    But 10 days later trying to go to work, just from the physical trauma- 6 total fractures- I was still pretty useless for about another week mentally. A year later I've been doing well, working out with my Masters Swim Team, etc.

Keep pushing yourself no matter what. Only you can have the drive and motivation to recover.
    You're in my prayers.

SpeedyE likes this.
  11. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

Damn dude. That’s rough. I’ve been very fortunate with my recovery every time, but there is variety in severity to these things.

Honestly the only difference I noticed with test is that I have less joint pain and stiffness, and I seem to recover from workouts a little better. No new gainzzz in the forearms or calves though. :D

12. JJJerry

JJJerry Well-Known Member

Curious why you chose this approach, and how it works for you.

13. swiest152

swiest152 Zoran's headache

Time has been big for me. It takes awhile to feel like yourself again and even then there are days that you feel like you have a concussion even tho it's been years. Those days are not fun. Similar to you, chronic fatigue, and vertigo.

Not much you can do. Keep your thoughts in check, suicide and drug/alcohol addiction are the major side effects. I don't think there are any answers, so I stopped trying to find them.

Last edited: May 11, 2018
    SpeedyE likes this.
  14. Tom Stevens

Tom Stevens Member

I was given Valtrex after 2 bouts of vertigo. The medication made me feel funny, in a terrible fog. Hard describe, just didn't like taking it. Used an acupuncturist for my rotator cuff injuries, strictly pain management and had good results. When my headaches got bad I tried him again and responded very positive to the treatment.

15. This.

I thought it was complete horseshit after hearing and reading about it. I was like "months of MRI's, different medications, etc...but somehow this motherfucker is going to 'fix it' in 2 minutes, on his table. Right. :rolleyes:"

He did.

It was an instantaneous night and day difference. After battling with vertigo for months, when I stood up after he did the Epley maneuver, it felt like I was a new man. I went months constantly losing control of my eyeballs, and wanting to puke just from standing up. Drinking just one beer would make me go straight past buzzed, past drunk, and directly to dizziness induced projectile vomit.

When he was done doing the Epley, it was like suddenly the world became balanced. I don't know how to describe it. But I damn near hugged the dude.

With anything, results may vary. But for me, it was a life changer.

SpeedyE and DrA5 like this.
  16. Cottonwood

Cottonwood Member

Cognitive FX

There’s a place here in Utah, Cognitive FX, that is doing interesting work. I went there a few months ago following my high-side (7ribs, collarbone, pneumothorax & concussion). It’s amazing how “new” medical diagnosis and treatment is for this condition. I play Brain Games and that’s helped to remember names & dates but headaches are almost constant & I can’t drink alcohol - which sucks as I own a distillery...the big question is racing again. Seems I need to go up to a liter bike for better traction control or down to vintage or 300. Wife not too pumped on any of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I'm with the wife until you're healed.

18. swiest152

swiest152 Zoran's headache

ninja 250 with traction control and with no one else on the track.

or just assume you will crash and hurt your brain again.

Phl218 likes this.
  19. DrA5

DrA5 The OTHER Great Dane