1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cat 5 cable

Discussion in 'General' started by Rich, May 1, 2018.

1. Rich

Rich Well-Known Member

I need to buy a 500 foot spool and eight terminations for the installer that will be putting in some cameras for me next week.

There are like 900000 choices on Amazon.

I assume not all cables are created equal, and someone on the Beeb is an expert. I also assume that everyone has opinion and Broome has some $900/foot cable.

2. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

Where are you located? Do you have a Fry's or Microcenter nearby?

3. Rich

Rich Well-Known Member

OKC. Unfortunately I have neither.

4. zamboiv

zamboiv Well-Known Member

Just buy it off amazon and don’t pay for expensive stuff. I bought cheap stuff and ran it everywhere and it’s fine. Especially if you’re pulling it for cameras, iPads, etc it’ll be fine.

5. DaveB

DaveB Just Riding Around

As long as it's rated properly the main thing to consider is do you need plenum cable or not to stay code compliant.

In case you are not aware what it is: "Plenum rated cable has a special insulation that has low smoke and low flame characteristics. Plenum cable is mandated to be installed in any "air handling" space. For example, most large office buildings use the ceiling to return air to the AC unit. This qualifies this ceiling as a plenum ceiling, and all the cables that go through that ceiling must be plenum rated. Please check your local building codes to see if you need plenum cable. The reason why it costs so much more is because the material required for the insulation must meet the standards for plenum cables while also meeting the standards for category 5e. This material is relatively expensive."

_indy likes this.
  6. thrak410

thrak410 My member is well known

Also be weary of CCA vs real copper. If cost is the absolute only issue, CCA cat5e will be 'ok', but you'll be safer if you can get solid core copper.

(cca = copper cladded aluminum)

Marid2apterbilt likes this.
  7. aalpine1

aalpine1 Well-Known Member

Maybe CAT6, but my choice would be CAT7 (especially for PowerOverEthernet).

If the cable is going to be "outside", might want to get some conduit to protect it.

_indy and Marid2apterbilt like this.
  8. When I ran Cat5e in my last house, I bought the wire at Lowe’s. It was cheap, available, and met specs. Never had a single problem in 10 years. AFAIK the current house owners are using it successfully.

9. BigBird

BigBird blah

eBay also has decent choices, and usually cheaper than eBay 2.0

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

10. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Just grab some twine and save your Campbell soup cans. :D

11. That would be my vote as well.

12. Marid2apterbilt

Marid2apterbilt Well-Known Member

This is your main concern at mnimini

.no CCA

Cat 5 from camera to switch or direct tonvrt.
    Cat 6 for switch to other components or NVR to pc

13. YoshiHNS

YoshiHNS Mr. Slowly

Belden. Sometimes can find cheap spools on ebay. Any brand is good enough if you don't need every ounce of performance though. I did phone lines with the Lowes bulk spool, worked fine.

Biggest factor on performance is the terminations. The more untwisted the wire pairs at the connectors, the worse the performance. That's on the installer.

BigBird likes this.
  14. GRH

GRH Well-Known Member

15. mcarter

mcarter Well-Known Member

16. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

You act like you now this shit or something!!

17. DaveB

DaveB Just Riding Around

I am an expert at copy/paste :)

TLR67 likes this.
  18. beac83

beac83 "My safeword is bananna"

If the cable will be run outside (either overhead, underground) or attached to the outside of a building where the outside part of the run is more than 25ft, use shielded Cat5e cable.

Lightning nearby will induce voltages onto unshielded cable that can destroy the network interfaces on devices (cams and switch ports). Make sure that at least one end of the cable shield is actually grounded.

I like the EZ-RJ connectors, as they make termination easy and you have less errors, but there is a special crimp tool for them that cuts the excess wire off when you crimp them.

Standard shielded RJ 45 connectors:
    https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=7301

Shielded non-burial outdoor cat5e:
    https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=894

Direct burial (flooded) shielded cable Cat 5e
    https://www.amazon.com/Shielded-Waterproof-Outdoor-Ethernet-trueCABLE/dp/B01JAVNZGK

The direct burial stuff is a PITA to work with because of the goop that makes it waterproof.
    If you don't need direct burial, stick with non burial cable types. If it's indoors, use UTP (Unshielded Twisted Pair)
    If it's outside, use STP (Shielded Twisted Pair), and make sure the cable jacket it is UV rated (sunlight eventually destroys plastic that is not UV rated).

19. GixxerBlade

GixxerBlade Oh geez

Just buy some romex

20. Rich

Rich Well-Known Member

It will only be outside for a few inches. I'm installing four cameras for a Swann NVR system in my house, and the average run will be about 100 feet. The guy recommended that I purchase a 500 foot roll of Cat 5 as he has to charge $.22/foot and about $5/termination if he supplies it.

Do I need anything as intricate as what you just posted?