1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ford getting out of the car business?

Discussion in 'General' started by Steeltoe, Apr 25, 2018.

1. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

BigBird likes this.
  2. zertrider

zertrider Waiting for snow. Or sun.

Don't see that working out, but what do I know.

3. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

What are the cops gonna drive??

4. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Teslas

Steeltoe likes this.
  5. zertrider

zertrider Waiting for snow. Or sun.

And Explorers like they do now.

Newsshooter likes this.
  6. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

Fucking 6.0 liter Tahoe that will haul ass here!

7. ClemsonsR6

ClemsonsR6 Well-Known Member

I havent been on a Ford lot in a long time, but I didnt know they had anything more than the SUVs / Trucks, Mustang and Focus.

wonder what that means for Lincoln?

8. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Taurus, Fusion, Fiesta... Better get one now! It's a classic :D

Phl218 likes this.
  9. ClemsonsR6

ClemsonsR6 Well-Known Member

10. shakazulu12

shakazulu12 Well-Known Member

They are just cutting the lines that they suck at. I suspect they are simply going to turn Lincoln into a luxury SUV maker as Chevy has done with GMC. Don't really see anything wrong in theory. Most people are buying little crossovers these days.

11. Phl218

Phl218 .

Better than all the crossfuckups the gemans put in their lineup

X6, that 5-non wagon, the GLA, and now the new maybach SUV sedan.
    Someone put something in the beer.

Less is more

418 and Metalhead like this.
  12. BSA43

BSA43 Well-Known Member

"By 2020, almost 90 percent of its portfolio in the region will be pickups, SUVs and commercial vehicles, the company said."

And when gasoline goes back up to $4.00/gallon, nobody will be buying those pickups and SUVs.

badmoon692008 likes this.
  13. Aberk

Aberk Well-Known Member

One of our localish sheriffs caught a lot of shit for buying tahoes over chargers. He defended the purchases by saying, what the vehicle are asked to do and over their lifetime , the tahoes end up being cheaper.

14. Aberk

Aberk Well-Known Member

I wonder what this means for CAFE requirements. Dumping that many gas sippers cant be good for overall numbers.

Boman Forklift likes this.
  15. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

16. BigBird

BigBird blah

aren't heavy trucks exempt?

I saw the article and was like of course SUVs for everyone. Large profit centers, Cadillac makes $20k profit on a Escalade, marketing firms and corporations have done a great job brainwashing everyone that this is the vehicle for everything, when a suitable wagon is the obvious choice, or a minivan.

No one will care about car dynamics, just that it's a SUV. :(

17. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

That’s what I was wondering. The only reason most companies even bother with small cars is CAFE. The margin on a Fiesta is hundreds of dollars, the margin on a loaded F150 is several thousand.

18. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Some, but it seems like that is changing.

From wiki:

CAFE has separate standards for "passenger cars" and "light trucks" even if the majority of "light trucks" are being used as passenger vehicles. The market share of "light trucks" grew steadily from 9.7% in 1979 to 47% in 2001 and remained in 50% numbers up to 2011. [4] More than 500,000 vehicles in the 1999 model year exceeded the 8,500 lb (3,900 kg) GVWR cutoff and were thus omitted from CAFE calculations.[5] More recently, coverage of medium duty trucks has been added to the CAFE regulations starting in 2012, and heavy duty commercial trucks starting in 2014.

19. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

Now if they would just get rid of those annoying minivans, their death cannot come too soon. :D

eggfooyoung and shakazulu12 like this.
  20. It’s changing and will continue to. They may be better off paying fines vs cost input of new non selling vehicles. I think Fords on to something, they may be cutting a bit too deep but I see what they are getting at. Needless to say this will be interesting.