1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Recommendations for heat shield material?

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Beresh21, Apr 24, 2018.

1. Beresh21

Beresh21 Well-Known Member

Looking to line my lower belly pan to keep the heat from the headers from ruining my new paint. What do you guys use and where can I find it? Thanks!

2. fastedyamaha

fastedyamaha Well-Known Member

Summit Racing has everything you could want for this.

Ducti89 likes this.
  3. jp129

jp129 Well-Known Member

DEI gold or silver heat foil

ineedanap likes this.
  4. Beresh21

Beresh21 Well-Known Member

thanks guys

5. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

Elmer's and Alumn. foil. :D

6. javyday

javyday Well-Known Member

7. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

what do u guys do if the header is touching the lower? ive layered foils and multi-layered insulation on the lower and it still gets too hot. the hose clamp trick doesn't work cuz its too tight. is header wrap and foil enough?

tdelegram likes this.
  8. jp129

jp129 Well-Known Member

I believe if it's resting on the lower fairing, there's not much you're going to be able to do. More layers of insulation will help the amount of conductive heat the fairing is subjected to.

Most heat foils are used to deflectradiant heat, not conductive heat.

9. Chango

Chango Something clever!

Yeah, if it's actually touching the lower fairing you need to make some adjustments somewhere or nothing is going to keep it from mucking it up. Re-drill, make the holes ovals, bend some brackets, hit it with a sledgehammer, or just a 3' screwdriver; something needs to change.

emry and TLR67 like this.
  10. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

^^^^^^This.... Make it fit then put the foil on.... RTV and a Cut open Tall Boy Can FTW!!!

11. stangmx13

its a custom header, so the full solution will likely be buying something else. the bodywork fit is perfect and it shouldn't go lower.

ive got a piece of sheet metal riveted on to the lower right now and the heat is a lot better. I also cut a few slots in the lower to aid in cooling, as the front area below the radiator is closed. those could be better/larger and im probably going to try wrapping the header next. I just gotta slow the heating enough so I can run for 30min without melting paint.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2018
  12. bored&stroked

bored&stroked Disclaimer: Can't spell

Drink coozy between a cut up can and the bodywork.

13. fastedyamaha

Once again Summit Racing has what you need. My TLR has the same issue and they had exactly what I needed to solve the problem.

Beresh21 likes this.
  14. stangmx13

can u be more helpful by include a link to the products u bought? I wouldn't be asking for recommendations if I knew what worked.

15. fastedyamaha

Summit Racing is the name, they’re a huge player in the aftermarket car scene. They have a website you can look at to see these products. I ended up buying something that could go right against the exhaust as it was touching the bottom of the belly pan and burning it. I paid less than $20 for it.

16. stangmx13

yes ive purchased from Summit plenty of times. how about u just say "I don't remember what I bought and can't help"

Boman Forklift and badmoon692008 like this.
  17. fastedyamaha

Go to their website and look at what they offer for heat shield material and see what best fits your needs. I bought a piece that was designed to go up against an exhaust pipe because that’s what I needed.