1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mini SM

Discussion in 'General' started by ryoung57, Apr 21, 2018.

1. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

No, not midgets with whips and chains, mini-bike super motards.

I want one but don’t know where to start. What are common bikes and common mods?

2. TZ250lover

TZ250lover Well-Known Member

Is it for a kid or an adult?

3. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Adult. Me :)

4. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

5. TZ250lover

TZ250lover Well-Known Member

I would build an 85cc two stroke. Those motors make good power stock and are reliable and super easy to maintain. Just need to have the suspension worked and lace up a front wheel.

If you are going to race it, figure out what class and see what bikes are running up front.

I have a KLX 110 that I spent way too much money on to build a motard. Wish I had gone the 85cc route. I just ride it for fun

6. baconologist

baconologist Well-Known Member

Grom

/done

7. deepsxepa

deepsxepa Hazardous

supermoto proper? (w/dirt)

8. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

Really best to decide what and where you’re riding.

Down here at my track, ad event I run, we kinda mimic Herrin classes/rules.

The CRF100 based bikes are my favorite because they’re cheap, reliable, easy to work on, and if you break something there’s a million parts.

Yes the 150R and 85 2 strokers are faster with better brakes but you’re adding costs.

Think of the 100’s as the sv 650’s of Minis. Not the fastest but a fast guy can still have a blast.

The 150 and 85’s are the literbikes. More maintainance, more tire costs, faster wrecks.

Things may be different where you are but at Herrin’s you’ll have 20+ rider grids on 100’s and ya I’ll have 5 on superminis

joec and TurboBlew like this.
  9. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

Id go 85 2T and lace up some wheels to run the 17" slicks. Then youll need warmers because those tires need heat to work!

10. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

For racing or street legal? If racing, go to your local track and pick the class you like the best. It's usually 85's vs 150R's in the watercooled class, and up to 150 four stroke in the air cooled classes. Then it's a matter of picking your brand and engine layout (2t or 4t in W.C. class, horizontal or vertical in A.C. class).

For street? Grommet or Z125, I suppose

11. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

There’s a mini moto group out of KC that races (raced, not sure yet if there will be a 2018 season) at kart tracks.

12. joec

joec brace yourself

I've seen some insane stuff done to some xr100s for supermoto. They are fun to ride and do most anything you'd want to do, but good God people dump a ton of money into them. They're not designed to have a 6' tall 200lb person doing a 25 foot gap, but I've seen it done. Cr 85 front end swap is common. I've also seen them with I think Suzuki swing arms grafted on.

I did 17s on mine with a stock front end and bbr rear spring. 120 kit with a pipe and you could nearly get away with anything on pavement with it.

I should have kept it. I went to the ttr after that and even though it had sightly better everything, it was no where near as fun to ride.

13. mike574

mike574 Well-Known Member

Check your local tracks and see what is raced there. I have an cr85 with 17,s and it is a cool bike but all the cool 4 hour races are only open to the xr100 type bike's. More classes for the xr100. Also an 85 will get destroyed if some one shows up with a 150r

Boman Forklift likes this.
  14. deepsxepa

deepsxepa Hazardous

sharky nrk likes this.
  15. terminus est

terminus est Be prepared

I have a dual shock xr100 with 16's front and rear running pirelli scooter tires. Never raced it but is the best parking toy ever. Vintage + supermoto + mini = motorcycle heaven.

sharky nrk likes this.