1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Toxic workplaces?

Discussion in 'General' started by britx303, Apr 16, 2018.

1. joec

joec brace yourself

I hear theres an opening in galena

2. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

I really like most of the coworkers I directly interact with on a daily basis. If that were not the case, I would have quit years ago...

There are 'toxic' elements to our work place, but we commiserate about them and try to remind each other that the grass is not always greener on the other side of the fence.

With that said, we're all free-agents. Don't sucker yourself into thinking you "owe" your employer any more than fulfilling your job duties with integrity. If you have concerns or complaints about your employment situation, I think the mature thing to do is to express those concerns to the appropriate person, and allow your employer the opportunity to remedy or improve the situation. If that doesn't happen, or there's no tactful way to have the conversation, there's nothing wrong with looking elsewhere.

Your own mental health and family needs trump your loyalty as an employee. I have never wanted to leave a job - I have either felt that I needed to, or found a job that compensates me in a manner that my current employer is unable or unwilling.

I've been lucky though - my wife has had a harder go of things. Her company got new investors about 4 years ago, and I called the whole situation then: "always remember who the ultimate decision-maker(s) is/are. The people who hired you are no longer in charge." While many of the founding employees celebrated the new investors buying-out their stock interest to acquire a controlling share, I was leery of how differently the investors would run the company as opposed to how the founders had.

Sure enough, a couple years ago, they changed from a "growth model" to a "profitability model," and started demanding to see returns on their investment. Without getting too long-winded, people were let go, demoted, or pressured to leave - that included the President and the CEO who had founded the company and hired my wife (and several of her work friends). Several people have been let go, and several more have quit over the last year. My wife has been the beneficiary of their departures, (i.e. promoted to fill their positions) but I try to constantly remind her that her job is dependent upon keeping the decision-makers happy; not chasing the dream that was sold to them by the people who founded the company.

She had 3 managers in 8 months. They finally hired someone who she really likes working with, and he went to bat for her when she asked for a raise, and pushed for her to be promoted when she let him know she had another job offer. We're both always casually looking. Options open up more options.

3. Start in the oilfield.

Depending on your personality and the size of your balls, you will either have a greater urge to kill everyone, or it will be the best work environment you ever dreamed of.

But you can guarantee you won’t have to work with a bunch of pussies.

MachineR1, Phl218, joec and 1 other person like this.
  4. One thing I just cannot deal with are integrity issues.

5. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

Shit,I'd love to do that.

6. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

Trust me........I had to refrain from being serious about going out there in the Alaska job thread. :D It was tempting,but too big of a move for my girls.

Phl218 likes this.
  7. jim weaver

jim weaver Well-Known Member

wait till you know you should have retired,because when junior takes over for dad,all kinds of silly shit happens .the good old must modernize crap,when the old men wern`t stupid. they were making money,and had great relationships with their employees, and customers. 16 years with the company, and now they have decided to cut hours.now in maint, we can`t keep up with problems as they arrive.

8. galloway840

galloway840 Well-Known Member

Um, take it, Phil!

Phl218 likes this.
  9. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PERSPECTIVE!@!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10. joec

joec brace yourself

I know .. I'm still thinking about it.... Dammed Alaska....

11. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

My place of employment is toxic, because my boss is an asshole.

Scotty87 and joec like this.
  12. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

Hey Clancypants, the carpentry woodworking opening is earmarked for you. Have you applied yet? Starts at $50K. Are you making that now?

13. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Don't you work for yourself????

14. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

Aaaaand, that’s the joke.

badmoon692008 likes this.
  15. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

This syntax and boldness is toxic.

16. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

That's what I figured....and it's early and I need more Coke Zero for caffeine

Shouldn't you be shoveling snow anyway....

:D

17. t500racer

t500racer Never Fails To Fail

There's a reason they call it WORK.

It's supposed to kill you.

18. t500racer

t500racer Never Fails To Fail

As is the lack of capitalization, spelling and so forth...:Poke:

19. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

Hell even I got what he meant. How does that make you feel?:Poke:

20. joec

joec brace yourself

Ugh.. I made so little last year I'd have to walk to Alaska if I needed to leave today.