2017 Dyno comparison (new Gixxer)

Discussion in 'General' started by Gorilla George, Feb 16, 2017.

1. gcally

gcally Well-Known Member

Higher mile 2017 GSXR 1000 puts down 204 on pump fuel.

http://www.Chaotic is an idjit....c...1000/812186-karns-performance-akra-spark.html

Quote from the gixxer forum.....

"The two bikes that were dyno tuned are exactly the same in regards to performance mods except for exhaust systems and mileage on the bikes. Dyno charts attached. I will let Jason comment on weather conditions as read by dynojet.

Mods/Details:
    Amsoil 10-W40 w/ OEM filter
    Engine ice coolant
    Smog/pair block
    Sprint P08 air filter
    O2 sensor delete

Bike 1 (8500 miles):
    Spark SS headers w/ MOTO GP Can
    RS10-R tire with 10% tread life
    HP: 204.58
    Torque: 91.02

Bike 2 (1500 miles):
    Akrapovic SS headers w/MOTO GP can
    RS10-R tire with 70% tread life
    HP: 193.66
    Torque: 86.10"

2. shakazulu12

shakazulu12 Well-Known Member

The fact that the link doesn't work because the board is still set to mess with Chaotic's name make me laugh.

Shenanigans likes this.
  3. gcally

gcally Well-Known Member

Yea... Me too.

That is why I had to edit my post and put the quote in there.

4. Ra.Ge. Raptor

Ra.Ge. Raptor wanna_be_fast

That's Jim's bike from Crete . One of the sickest L7s !

Steeltoe likes this.
  5. It is useless unless they post the original dyno numbers, and dyno numbers from other bikes. We need to be able to compare those bikes with their OEM numbers, and be able to compare them with other makes/models.

In and of itself, a one-off dyno number is useless without having anything to compare it to.

6. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Those numbers were from Karn's Performance in PA. He's fairly candid about all the bikes he's run on his dyno....shouldn't be too hard to get additional numbers.

EDIT:
    I poked around a bit on Gixxer some more and found another post Karns put up when the 2017 came out and he did some initial runs after break-in on another bike. He reported that bone stock with ECU restrictions in place it turned 156hp/76ftlbs and after reflash to remove them it as 176hp/78ftlbs. He said right after he threw a 2016 R1 with tuning and a full Graves system on the dyno and it turned 182hp.

Just to give some bit of reference.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2018
    Gorilla George and K51000 like this.
  7. gcally

gcally Well-Known Member

Yep...
    Jason the owner of Karn's performance is a Suzuki dealer and actually owns a 2017 GSXR 1000 as his personal bike.
    He has dyno tuned a good number of 2017 GSXR 1000's and is also building 3 racebikes for customers. He knows how to tune a bike and his way around a dyno for sure. Every other 2017 GSXR 1000 that he has dynoed made between 190-196 including the other 2017 GSXR 1000 that he did the same day. No one can say why that bike put out 204 on pump fuel but it is very interesting that it did.

Quote from Jason when I asked if it could be the spark exhaust that made that much more power than the other 2017 GSXR 1000 he dyno tuned the same day.

"I cant say that it was an exhaust making that much more power. it would be the first time in 25+ years of dyno work that it did
    his bike did make more everywhere then the other one. The next highest 17 i have ever seen was 196 on our dyno.

keep in mind that out of all the 17s that i have dynoed all except Justins have made between 190-196 this time of year.
    the only diffrence i have can say is his bike had more miles than any of the other they all have had between 0 and 1500 miles.
    Justins has 8500 or so.

all of the full systems make between 8-11 hp more over a stock exhaust (including slipons)... I have never seen any full system make that much more over another full system. However i would say the Spark is a good exhaust. "

8. gcally

gcally Well-Known Member

They compared it to another 2017 GSXR 1000 that was dyno tuned the same time. Both bikes had the same modifications the only difference was miles on the bike and full exhaust manufacture.
    His numbers on the other 2017 GSXR 1000's he had done are 100% inline with what everyone is getting out of the bike on pump with same modifications.

9. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Seriously sexy. That thing is kitted out.

[​IMG]

10. gcally

gcally Well-Known Member

Some More Dyno Results
    2017 ZX10R VS 2017 GSXR 1000

- Same Conditions
    - Same Day
    - Same Dyno (Karns Performance)
    - Both have full exhaust and ecu tuned
    - Engines totally stock.
    - Blue Line = GSXR
    - Red Line = ZX10R
    - 12 HP difference at 8,000 RPM

Attached Files:

11. cav115

cav115 Well-Known Member

The tire wear has an impact.

12. GrayGhost

GrayGhost Well-Known Member

Picking mine up Sunday. We have a couple tuned zx10s , panigale 1299, etc here in town. Vids to follow

codyjphoto, Knotcher and Steeltoe like this.
  13. Bruce

Bruce Tuck & Roll

That red limit for the Kawi seems low to me. Could be it didn't get a very good flash.

14. It’s possible there might have been some remaining over-rev, but the ZX had already reached its peak HP a few hundred RPM prior to it dropping off.

The line had already peaked, and was beginning to trail off when it hit redline. I don’t think there was any more peak HP to be had at that point.

Looks like the GSXR has a broader, more useable power range.

15. Bruce

Bruce Tuck & Roll

I don't disagree with what you're saying, or the gixxers results. Just that maybe there's more room for improvement if the guy who flashed the ecu missed giving it more over-rev....

Gorilla George likes this.
  16. More importantly, I wish Kawi would figure out a way to make the ZX more narrow.

I love the specs and it’s obviously a great bike, especially the RR with the Marchesinis.

I just can’t get past how wide it is at the clip-on area. It is almost like a damn Busa.

17. Bruce

Bruce Tuck & Roll

Agreed. I'm on one coming off of an R6. I'm thinking about selling for an R1.

Gorilla George likes this.
  18. gcally

gcally Well-Known Member

The GSXR feels pretty compact and skinny. The tank actually looks smaller than my 750.

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      34.2 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      38.2 KB
      Views:
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      53.1 KB
      Views:
  19. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Ooh I do like me some carbon. Sexy ride.

20. Bruce

Bruce Tuck & Roll

I'm not a zook guy, but that looks really nice!