1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Morning Radio: What are you listening to?

Discussion in 'General' started by sharkattack, Apr 3, 2018.

1. sharkattack

sharkattack Rescued pets over people. All day, every day

I’m really getting bored with morning radio. I’ve got XM, but some of the music channels seem to play the same songs over and over. I’ll listen to news now and then, but it’s so partisan it’s not really news, but rather all opinion.

I tried audiobooks but when it’s just one person reading the story, I got bored quickly. When it’s a whole troop of actors with sound effects, I enjoyed it. Trouble is, most audiobooks don’t say if it’s a full production (sound effects, many actors, etc.), or at least the ones I found.

I’m looking for suggestions to help pass time on my commute. Suggestions?

2. Lawn Dart

Lawn Dart Difficult. With a big D.

Enjoy history? Dan Carlin's Hardcore History podcast is awesome.

I've also been listening to Joe Rogan's podcast for a little while now. I sorta dismissed him as a meathead dudebro, but his podcast is actually very good. I don't agree with everything he and his guests say, but at least it is entertaining. I "like" MMA, but I generally skip his MMA episodes because they're too specific for too long. Most of his shows are comedians and actors and vary in topic from beginning to end.

The Freakonomics podcast is good, but I'm sorta burnt out on it lately, and they do a lot of rebroadcasts (reruns).

3. RichB

RichB Well-Known Member

Don't mean to pee on the parade but I thought much of the original freakonomics stuff (e.g. crime rates and abortion) has been reclassified as fiction? May be listen for entertainment value or with large pinch of salt.

4. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

Bob and Tom, a comedy show from Indy, but they're in about 100 markets across the country. 6am-10am locally. They have been on a long time, but still funny, they always have interesting guest.

5. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Bob and Tom make me want to kick puppies. Fuck them and their laugh track.

Nothing talk. We have a pretty good classic country station that gets the job done pretty well.

ChemGuy likes this.
  6. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

I listen to Tye, Chuck, and Kelly out of Nashville every am. Generally like country music, and they’re warped enough to entertain me.

7. wrx_02

wrx_02 Well-Known Member

:crackup: I usually change the channel a bunch but I will listen to Russ Martin. They are on 2 stations here. Once in the morning and once in the after noon.

8. cpettit

cpettit Well-Known Member

I am the polar opposite of a morning person and nothing pisses me off more in the morning than that canned laugh track on those radio shows. I just ride in quiet. At work I use Spotify.... Been listening to a lot of latin instrumental stuff lately like classic Brasilian samba, Spanish guitar chill out and a few other stations. Narcos soundtrack is pretty good too. 90's hip hop bbq is a good one and there are some old school metal and punk stations that are alright. Being able to pick and choose your own music is the best thing that the internet has brought us as a society.

9. beac83

beac83 "My safeword is bananna"

Morning Edition on NPR. Or BBC News Hour.

10. sharkattack

I used to listen to Opie and Anthony. They were great until the show split up. Now it’s Jim (Norton) & Sam (O&A old producer). It’s ok, but that’s just because Jim is there. I’d love to hear Jim and Anthony. They are comedy gold.

11. Green_Thom

Green_Thom New Member

This guy lays it on pretty thick, I can't decide if I like his delivery or not, but I've listened to most of his stuff. Very informative.

"Interesting things explained well" For the Jeopardy crowd with some humor mixed in, great stuff.
    http://interestingthingsexplainedwell.libsyn.com

12. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

My commute is too short, kitchen to my home office. :D

13. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Early morning silence is golden.

cpettit and motoboy like this.
  14. opinion914

opinion914 Well-Known Member

Not Imus.

ToofPic likes this.
  15. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

Can't bring myself to pay for radio, can't take much of the "morning show" drivel so I flip thru the 3-4 local rock/classic rock/alternative stations until I hear a song I like. If I flip thru twice and find nothing, I switch to the old CD changer.

16. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

I listen to Frosty, Heidi, and Frank if I leave for work late enough, otherwise news.

17. sharkattack

Thx for the suggestions. I’ll have to give the Joe Rogan podcasts a listen. I’ve heard some of his stuff before, liked it. Seems like a pretty well read/informed guy.

18. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

This morning it was South Park. Not sure if I even turned on the radio for the drive to the office part of things.

19. groundhogday

groundhogday Well-Known Member

It used to be alright, but the last several years it's mostly Tom with diarrhea of the mouth spouting stupid shit. He needs a hard kick to the nuts followed by an uppercut to the throat.

20. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

Slayer, mostly........radio sucks 'round here.

ToofPic likes this.