1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

99 R6 Adjustable cam sprockets. Worth it? How to best use them?

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Jesse Williams, Mar 29, 2018.

1. Jesse Williams

Jesse Williams Need more track time! Always!!

I'm doing a full rebuild of my actual first race bike for sentimental reasons so I know I'm spending way more than is reasonable. I found some press on adjustable cam sprockets online and wondered with a stock motor, polished heads, M4 full exhast, 4deg ignition advancer and Factory Pro Velicity stacks and Super Sport tuning Kit. How they help, how to install and if they are worth bothering with. Also, I have taken the engine down to the crank and did a full rebuild.

2. RightSideUp

RightSideUp Well-Known Member

With that motor stock adjustable cam sprockets will enable you to move the torque curve and possibly unlock a few extra ponies. BUT doing them wrong will likely hurt performance and can be catastrophic. Ultimately this is a question for your tuner.

3. Jesse Williams

Lol, I am the tuner. Although I am surrounded by men with 30+ years of aircraft mechanic experience among various racing diciplines. I have some goto people on the different systems of this motor too. I would think my Carb, ignition guy would know more about what's up?

4. Jesse Williams

The guy that owns Factory-pro is always willing to talk tech with me.

5. sbk25

sbk25 Active Member

I'm no expert but as noted, degreeing the cams is going to allow you to shift the curve of the power band--so you'll need a dyno.

Typically, a little bit of power will also be extracted from this process.

I've not done this to my 99 r6 but I share your nostalgia of this old relic because, I too, have spent "way more than is reasonable" LOL

6. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

ideally, u need someone with prior experience with that motor and those cams to tell/sell u the magic numbers for cam timing. that way u don't have to expend a ton effort, time, and money on what is essentially guess-and-check.

7. Jesse Williams

I see, I'll try and find that person, if not I'm sure everything else I've added to this bike, ($4000 worth of goodies LOL), will be sufficient enough. It's ridiculous but it will be ridiculously cool.

8. rafa

rafa Well-Known Member

We need pictures of said bike

9. sbk25

sbk25 Active Member

Pictures, please...subscribed.

10. Jesse Williams

Lol, well this is where I'm starting the reassembly today. I should have a running track ready bike in the next 60 days. The result will be cool. Promise. 20180129_160106.jpg ] 20180108_211813.jpg

I have a full aviation shop to do the build. Plus many 20+ year A&P's to tap into.

sbk25 likes this.
  11. Jesse Williams

Btw, some said that 105deg and 105deg is a pretty safe setting for the cams. Someone with extensive experience with this same year bike running almost identical equipment.