1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Florida School Shooting Thread

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by sharkattack, Feb 14, 2018.

1. blkduc

blkduc no time for jibba jabba

When I was in ROTC on the exhibition drill team, we used M1s with plugged (welded) barrels. When practice drilling on the basketball court, we had to put a rubber cover on the buttstock for the moves where the stock taps on the floor. We also had an air rifle range in the school to learn marksmanship in preparation for army qualifying.

No one cared, no one was triggered by us in uniform, no one was butthurt by us raising the flag every morning.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2018
    badmoon692008 likes this.
  2. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

It has taken years of social engineering by the left but they are finally getting traction. More and more lemmings are starting to believe that it is guns and not people that are the issue. When I was in highschool you would see guns in back windows of pickups in the school parking lot all of the time and it was not uncommon to see a disassembled firearm on a table in the library, there was no school cop and strangely those guns never hurt anyone. Now people shit themselves over a waffle that a kid chewed in to the shape of a gun...

3. Potts N Pans

Potts N Pans Well-Known Member

Pop Tart...don't make waffles out to be the bad guy

scottn and crashman like this.
  4. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

We still teach hunter safety in our local school, part of PE curiculum. Parents can opt out if they wish but it isn't common.

brex likes this.
  5. brex

brex Well-Known Member

Should be nationwide.

6. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

Hey, today it's Pop Tarts, tomorrow it will be waffles.

BAN WARM BREAKFAST FOODS NOW!!

7. In Your Corner

8. In Your Corner

9. Potts N Pans

Potts N Pans Well-Known Member

Sad, especially the one saying the Constitution is outdated...

10. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

This is a direct result of Government Run School Systems....and Poor Parenting..(Liberal Parenting).

R Acree and brex like this.
  11. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

She had me right up until she blamed "gun laws".

Be much better for everyone if she were the de facto spokesman for MSDHS.

12. tiggen

tiggen Things are lookin' up.

The following comes from a FAQ distributed by the Harvard Graduate School for Education to teachers and deals with how to respond to walkouts and protests regarding gun violence in schools. What I found most interesting was the difference in language of the responses to Questions 1 and 6. Link to doc at bottom.

1: I’m a high school teacher. My students want to participate in a walkout next week to demand legislation that keeps schools safe from gun violence. I want to support them, but my principal/district does not seem open to it. What can I do?

One thing every educator can do: Support students’ civil rights, and align that support with your school's mission.

“School leaders can articulate that while they support students’ civil rights — including their right to engage in peaceful protest — students’ beliefs are their own. Schools can defend students’ rights to express themselves, without taking a stand on the content of that expression," says Meira Levinson, in a piece about how schools can respond to protest.

"A school or district’s mission statement can also be a helpful guide as leaders consider how to respond to protest incidents. What are your core values — the set of guiding principles that you’re always talking about? These should be familiar to people and can provide an essential touchstone as you try to navigate among stakeholders with deeply divided opinions.”

Another key response: Create opportunities for students to express the strong emotions they are feeling. Carve out time and space for civil discourse and reflection, says Laura Tavares, writing in Greater Good Magazine. That should involve the creation of classroom norms to guide conversation and provide guardrails for discussing contentious topics. And when the conversation starts, let students lead.

For students who want to get active: Suggest that they explore Youth in Front, a new hub for advice and information for youth activists. The site has videos of experienced youth activists and adult allies answering common questions (for instance, Will I get in trouble?).

6: I’m a high school teacher. Some of my students have been carrying “Protect the Second Amendment” signs around my school. How do I accommodate their views amid student activism on gun control?

Just like the young people advocating for stricter gun control laws, these students have the right to express their beliefs. Educators should support all students who want to participate in civic conversations and practice civil disobedience.

As a public school teacher, your freedom of speech in classroom discussions does have limits. In other words, it’s unwise to take sides on a political issue in front of your students. You can, however, ask students from both sides of the aisle to interrogate their own views through reasoned discourse. Have students read op-eds from multiple perspectives, review research on previous gun control measures, and discuss interpretations of the Second Amendment. Make sure they know the facts, and ask students to put together evidence-backed arguments around their beliefs.

It can also be constructive to ask them to move beyond opinion and propose policy solutions. School safety affects everyone, regardless of their perspectives on Second Amendment issues. On an issue where adults in positions of power are often stymied, young people’s ideas are needed.

https://www.gse.harvard.edu/news/uk/18/03/student-protests-questions-and-answers

13. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

Wait.
    I thought a whole bunch of you are wishing for changes regarding people counts and apportionment? So which is it —inviolate or mutable?

14. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

I think you have your threads, somewhat crossthreaded....

15. G 97

G 97 Garth

Cross threaded? They've already been stripped.

16. GRH

GRH Well-Known Member

Term limits would be a nice addition

17. dsapsis

Silly me. I thought consistency of principle underpins logic. Carry on with pick n’ choose.

18. G 97

G 97 Garth

By “pick n’ choose”, do you mean like your (lack of) consistency between what is legal and illegal?
    Is this the kind of pick and choose you speak of?

19. dsapsis

Show me where I have done that.

20. In Your Corner

screenshot-m.startribune.com 2018.04.03 21-50-30.png