1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Frivolous lawsuit against Keigwins trackday organization:gofundme link

Discussion in 'General' started by duc995, Mar 13, 2018.

1. L8RSK8R

L8RSK8R Well-Known Member

"I don't want to tear out my car by dropping wheel over the edge of the track, that is how bad it can be."
    Along turn 5, it gets pretty rough.

2. worthless

worthless Well-Known Member

So, that video is supposed to be what happened here? Looks like he ran out of talent, not track.

code3ryder likes this.
  3. Ben Gooding

Ben Gooding Well-Known Member

You win the daily prize for being SPOT ON! Stay on the track or don't ride!

4. I didn’t read all of this but he ran out of talent but had target fixation down to a science.

On the other hand no way if I was that trackday provider would I have ran an event with a sandbag that close the track in a runoff area.

Odilup likes this.
  5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

A sandy/muddy track usually is. As are much deeper ditches from unchecked runoff.

I expect you to look on your outlap or a track walk or going around the outside of the track and let us know if there is something you don't like. I also expect you to not ride if you don't like it.

sheepofblue likes this.
  6. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Keigwins determined the track safe enough for them, it's still up to the rider to decide for themselves. The ultimate responsibility is yours alone. He chose to ride there with the sandbags in place.

Mot Okstef likes this.
  7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

The cancellation wasn't due to the airfence as much as the chance of airfence blowing across the track as well as the issues in a bowl like ACS with the wind changing direction multiple times in one corner for the rider to deal with.

8. G 97

G 97 Garth

I agree the rider ultimately has the final say. More with racing than with a beginner level track day rider who is doing a track day. It’s also up to the experienced professional officials, whether it be the track management or the event provider to create the safest environment possible to begin with. The best way to avoid any potential issue is to not create an environment for it to happen to begin with. A new rider doesn’t have this same level of experience and knowledge to fully make this decision on their own.

How are they suppose to know that, specifically in this situation, sand bags shouldn’t be located this close to the track? Not trying to put words in your mouth Sean but it would be hard for me to believe that you would have allowed a WERA race to take place under the same conditions. You know better as a result, in part, from your multiple years of experience and basic common sense.

I just can’t believe that a track day org would objectively look at these conditions and think it was OK to allow their members to ride. They have a responsibility as well. I understand the risk associated with this sport.

9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

There are so many things that happen at trackdays that are considered safe for them I'd never do it's not funny. Which is why it is ultimately up to the rider.

Metalhead likes this.
  10. G 97

G 97 Garth

Yes, and this is why riders aren’t always the best to judge the safety level of track conditions and procedures and making the decision to ride, not ride.
    They don’t know any better.

11. CR750

CR750 Well-Known Member

Knowing that motorcycles were using the track and putting sandbags there seems kind of negligent to me. It was really stupid anyway. They should have removed them.

badmoon692008 likes this.
  12. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

I'm not talking about suing the attorney, I'm talking about having his or her conduct reviewed by the state supreme court for disciplinary action. It's not a lawsuit for damages, it's a review of whether or not the lawyer has knowingly acted unethically by filing a baseless lawsuit.

13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

The state will never do that, your only recourse is to bitch to the bar or sue them best I can tell.

14. VFR#52

VFR#52 Well-Known Member

Ok after reading all this and also it hit my Facebook page countless times.
    I have a simple question.
    Just when does it become the riders responsibility to think for himself when either racing or doing a trackday?
    Ive read where it the track and the trackday provider to make it safe to put motorcycles on a track.
    Thats just BS any way you put it.
    What part of motorcycles are safe?
    Oh the part where ut sits in a garage or living room as art.
    Thats same as a skydiver getting ready to jump out of a plane and he looks out and sees he is only 200 ft in air and then jumps anyway.
    Then sues pilot for being to low.
    Im sorry but this sport is full of pussys these days.
    It is and has always been riders decision to ride.
    If he feels its not safe then he can go play chess or some other safe sport.
    But take responsibility for your actions.
    Man up and do whats best for you.
    But dont blame others cause you made a mistake.
    Carry on now.

Steven

Gorilla George and panthercity like this.
  15. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

Even then it's dangerous. Like the time my Dunstall Norton dumped four quarts of fresh oil on my ex's new shag carpeting...

VFR#52 and G 97 like this.
  16. code3ryder

code3ryder Well-Known Member

If someone had complained about those sandbags/ditch being there would you have had modifications made or just offered a refund? (That might sound a bit snarky definitely not intended).

While I agree that, in the end, it's up to the rider, the trackday organization is the pro. We've all been at the track for our first time and things are going a million miles an hour and you wouldn't expect the org to let you run if it wasn't safe. The physical setting should be set up to be as safe as possible.

17. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

As I've said before in this thread, we give refunds/credits if a rider feels a track is too unsafe to ride.

Mot Okstef likes this.
  18. Gecko

Gecko Well-Known Member

In my state, we have a "Statewide Grievance Committee" which is a committee of 21 individuals, 14 of whom are attorneys and 7 of whom are not attorneys, appointed by the Judges of the Superior Court to review, investigate and adjudicate attorney ethics complaints. Each state has something like this, albeit perhaps in a different form. Back a few pages, when we were discussing this, I was going to ask whether you were counseled on filing a grievance against the opposing counsel(s). Getting grieved by someone, and having to go before the Grievance Committee, is no laughing matter (at least here). Thankfully, I've never been grieved (knock on wood), but I've heard plenty of first and second hand stories, and read enough Grievance Committee rulings, to know I want to avoid it at all cost.

rk97 likes this.
  19. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

Were you sleeping on the couch for a while or is that why she's your ex ? :crackup:

20. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

I slept with one eye open for quite a while.
    :D

Banditracer likes this.