1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Domain MX records

Discussion in 'General' started by Steve Fahey, Mar 15, 2018.

1. Steve Fahey

Steve Fahey I need a new avatar

I'm a network admin IT consultant kind of guy. I know there are a bunch of geeks here that might be able to help me so here goes ....

Client calls me today saying his computer keeps asking him to enter his network password. As it turns out it's Outlook complaining. To make a long story short, the guy that handled their web and email hosting passed away and I assume hosting fees haven't been paid and were finally shut off. The domain was registered with Tucows and I've started the process of trying to transfer that domain to me.

My question concerns the mail. The MX record resolves to mail.mywebcompany.com and I'm trying to figure out who actually hosts their mail so I can get control of that as well. However, I can't tell what company this actually is or a way to get in touch with them. Maybe one of you guys has some experience with this?

Not posting the domain name but can PM it if it will help.

Thanks in advance.

2. rogers1323

rogers1323 Well-Known Member

3. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

Once you have control of the domain, it doesn't matter who was hosting the email, you can update the MX records to point to wherever you want.

Lawn Dart likes this.
  4. Steve Fahey

I want to re-enable their existing mail hosting for the time being. Trying to eliminate downtime before moving them to 365 in a planned manner.

5. Steve Fahey

Yes, I believe it is. Looks like Tucows is hosting their mail as well as being the registrar. I've been back and forth with Tucows trying find a way to prove they own the domain. Can't believe I didn't do a Whois on mywebcompany.com .... sometimes you can't see the forest for the trees!

6. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

Tucows is the back end, mywebcomapany.com is a Domain reseller using Tucows. So Tucows won't be able to help you. More specifically, they'll refuse to help you. (Source - I work for a Domain reseller who uses Tucows)

7. rogers1323

rogers1323 Well-Known Member

Contact Privacy Inc. Customer 0136564244
    96 Mowat Ave,
    Toronto, ON, M6K 3M1, CA
    [​IMG]
    (p)[​IMG]

This is actually what I was focused on. They seem to be a domain privacy service, but looks like they're who you want to actually talk to. It looks like they'll just send your request to the actual company.

8. Steve Fahey

Tucows referred me to their reseller Hostica.com that supposedly has access to the account.

Whois Information:

Domain Name: xxxxxxx.COM

Domain ID: 69841619_DOMAIN_COM-VRSN

Registrar WHOIS Server: whois.tucows.com

Registrar URL: http://tucowsdomains.com

Updated Date: 2017-04-22T19:39:51Z

Creation Date: 2001-04-24T00:26:01Z

Registrar Registration Expiration Date: 2018-04-24T00:26:01Z

Registrar: TUCOWS, INC.