1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Free Speech is the Enemy

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by In Your Corner, Mar 14, 2018.

1. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Not sure how cancer research is analogous to global warming and gender studies, but whatever.

2. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

When I looked at that he looks to be all over the map. But I also did not spend much time researching.

As I said, in my experience. But even you said yourself that their political affiliation had less to do with politics and more to do with funding so I would be hard pressed to call that "liberal". I am sure there are exceptions but it seems to me that for the most part the Physicists, Mathematicians, etc. mock the social justice everyone deserves free stuff people and most are too busy with research and learning to take time out for protest marches...

3. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

You likely missed my mocking of the conservatives hate science statement. That is like the Democrats are for the poor and Republicans for the rich BS. I did not peruse the gov cancer site but yes cancer research can be good (and there is a lot of it going on in the public, private and charity funded programs)

4. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

I think those that are willing to constantly acquire more knowledge and use it to their advantage are far less likely to be classified too far to the left or right. Sarah's a sharp lady, although we can question her decision making skills - IE: Dern, and I agree with some of her positions and disagree with others. I'll be honest in that I have a hard time keeping track of everyone's political leanings in here but the one good thing about the dungeon is there will always be someone that challenges your position and gives you other viewpoints to think about. I always find that to be a good thing.

I'll have to go back and read that thread as I have not been paying attention to it.

I'd find it best if universities were apolitical. Present the facts and let those seeking the knowledge decide for themselves. Currently in what I see a lot of them seem to be pushing in specific political directions via the administration and staff.

5. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

It is ridiculous to say that information taught by politically-left professors using books written by politically-left authors at a university where the majority of professors identify as liberals isn't political.

6. In Your Corner

You will notice that, while they denied it, they offered no proof.
    It's amazing how fast all of you fall for the racism accusation.
    The issue is an old one that the university doesn't want to discuss.

7. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Never question that.

Girl's a straight up mental case. :crackup:

8. Chino52405

Chino52405 Well-Known Member

So where is the market for conservative higher education?

9. motorkas

motorkas Well-Known Member

I wasn’t trying to get you to research. . .:D

but you’re right, he’s all over the map; first in his family to go to college (and he blew it out of the water in that regard) significant concentration in Religion, worked for Bush 43; does significant community outreach and worked at a liberal/left leaning think tank and another one that was started by Reagan’s CIA head. Imagine what he can teach his students about BOTH sides.

Yep – their political views are not that strong, but here’s another interesting thing that I find drives their affiliation – the US does not have domination over the generation of world class scientists. . .now line up that fact with political rhetoric. Can’t really tell you if they mock those movements or not but in my experience, they’ll be the first to tell you a couple of things that they usually share in common: more often than not, they are socially awkward (and they were not readily socially accepted in high school). . .if I had to guess, I would think that would make them more sympathetic than less, but either way, you’re absolutely right, they’re less likely to engage.

Couldn’t agree more (especially with the her being smart as hell part). The only thing I question is this whole “indoctrination” narrative. Honestly (and this is definitely an opinion) I think the majority of adults are projecting their rigidity in values (and susceptibility to propaganda) onto them. Kids are extraordinary flexible with their views just based upon the fact that they are racking up new experiences at incredible rates. Their risk tolerances are higher, they’re more transient and they have the illusion of a long life ahead of them that encourages making mistakes. Locking a kid down to a value system (or ideology) is much harder than someone who’s middle aged (usually lower risk tolerance, less transient, more set in their ways and they are keenly aware that their time is running out so it’s better to “play it safe”). All gross generalizations of course but there’s a reason why old and young people have the stereotypes they do.

I must have - but I also don't think conservatives hate science.

10. motorkas

On more than one occasion, I've read what she's written and thought "if that's crazy, the world could do with a little more of it". . .:D

11. motorkas

One of my favorite responses to when people go down that road (I know this doesn't apply to you): Where did the liberal and conservative Supreme Court Justices go to undergrad and Law School?

12. In Your Corner

How does one answer such a nonsensical question?
    Define conservative higher education.

13. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Hillsdale.edu

sheepofblue likes this.
  14. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Yes

Uhh, no. Their views are flexible based upon whom they're trying to impress/emulate. If you sincerely look at the development of your own views over time, tell me you didn't change like the wind because of peers or pussy. :Poke:

I may be the only parent alive who not only encourages, but sets my child up for failure. Failure, and learning to deal with it, is the most important teaching tool that has been thrown to the wayside. Can't let little Johnny or Jane ever experience failure, here, everyone gets a trophy, and we don't even keep score!

If you think modern child rearing encourages children to make mistakes, you're not paying attention.

Well duh. Today little Johnny thinks you're the greatest person ever to walk the earth. Tomorrow his pal Jimmy tells him he gets to play Xbox and eat Froot Loops every day when he gets home from school, and now you're a fucking ogre who won't let him do anything!

Value systems in adults (hopefully) are based on a little more critical thought, risk analysis and assumption of self-reliance and responsibility. Or, you've raised a snowflake who goes to pieces every fall when all those poor trees drop their leaves and DAMN IT WHY DOES EVERYTHING HAVE TO DIE?!?!?

Yeah, but I think you're sniffing the wrong dog's ass. :Poke:

15. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Education is supposed to be about the subject matter, not the political leanings of the "educator".

sheepofblue likes this.
  16. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Fuck, you're old. :D

17. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Not everything old should be rejected.

sheepofblue likes this.
  18. motorkas

I definitely changed because of peers and pussy – but not consistently like the wind and definitely not consistently just because of them ( in all fairness, I have made snap decisions to impress and emulate but they almost always ended up an unmitigated disaster so I quickly learned to stop doing that).

That trend continues today: perfect example (oh stink fuel lover) 7 years ago, I never knew what ½ ton, ¾ and 1 ton meant – had no idea there were diesel engines in pick ups or the differences between them and gas – when I found out the dollar premium I had a similar reaction that most do who know nothing about/have never towed with them. Even then, you have people who have towed with them, know all about them and still choose gas regardless of peers and pussy.

Going to class and being around professors is a relatively small part of the overall college experience (especially when worrying about who and what has the greater chance of indoctrinating them). Impress/emulate is part of it, definitely not all of it; and personally, I think is being overvalued in relation to college professors (especially when their power and control over the students is the letter grade they can give, not how well they actually incorporate their teachings in daily life).

You’re not the only one – but as you already know – you’re setting your kids up for success by teaching and encouraging that (and you’re smart enough to know that the wording of your first sentence directly influenced your thoughts expressed in the last one).

80/20, 90/10 - what ever rate you want to choose it doesn’t matter – by definition if you’re in the minority with that breakdown, you operate differently from the masses (and are less likely to encounter like-minded individuals frequently). . . College has a tendency to change those ratios in terms of putting more of the 20% or 10% in one centralized location. Change is going to happen without the professors in situations like that (as well as certain things being re-enforced).

Have fun with the biological insanity that is puberty. . .:D

Fuck man – have you read some of the shit in here from “non-snowflakes” and seen how they react when they lose? Critical thought, risk analysis and assumption of self-reliance and responsibility are not the first words that come to mind (especially when considering that one of the premises of social conservatism is the lament for how things change and die).

Don't get it.

19. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

All schools are, nature of the beast.

20. Fonda Dix

Fonda Dix Well-Known Member

There are some that are trying (and failing slowly) to hold off the liberal tide. USAFA, USMA, USNA, VMI and a few others.

In the end they too will be become liberal indoc centers. Its just a matter of time.