1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stephen W. Hawking

Discussion in 'General' started by Ra.Ge. Raptor, Mar 14, 2018.

1. assjuice cyrus

assjuice cyrus Well-Known Member

So, school me what did this guy do that was significant?

Then I will try you who I really thought he was,you will really laugh.

2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Lots of esoteric science stuff. Like others have said, way too out there to have a direct impact on us but could very well have a long term impact on what we know about the universe that could lead to all sorts of things. Think Einstein but smarter.

I wouldn't expect you to know what he did but surprised you don't at least know the name. He's been on a bunch of tv shows but most importantly Futurama and the Simpsons :D

3. beechkingd

beechkingd Well-Known Member

Except it's all theoretical so who the hell knows? He could have been the best bullshitter in history, he looked convincing in an oracle kind of way stuck in a wheel chair and not being able to talk, etc.

zstylem86 likes this.
  4. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

True but people could have said the same about Al at the time. :D

5. assjuice cyrus

Don't
    Don't watch a lot of tv and haven't seen a complete episode of Futurama ever.

So, you wanna guess who I thought he was at first when I seen his pic today.:D

6. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Not gonna guess.

And dude, seriously, Futurama is great tv! :D

7. assjuice cyrus

Never watch a show.

I really thought at first,he was the dude that feel off the horse and got a neck injury that put him in a wheel chair. Hell,I cant even think of his name right now either.

renegade17 likes this.
  8. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

Willy Shoemaker?

Edit: Oops, bad guess.

9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Superman! Christopher Reeve.

10. SGVRider

SGVRider Well-Known Member

RIP. Seemed like a pretty fun and good natured guy despite his condition. From that article, he apparently used to run over the toes of anyone who annoyed him and liked tig ol’ bitties in his face even if he couldn’t motorboat them properly. His greatest regret was not running over Margaret Thatcher’s toes. :D

As to his work, how the hell do we even know the applicability of it? It’ll be decades before it becomes practically useful. Relativity didn’t have a practical application for decades. Then we built GPS and everyone on the planet has a device that has to use relativistic calculations to work properly. I’m sure Hawking’s work already has some practical applications. Probably in the field of something involving quantum mechanics such as communications, sensor technology etc. A Soviet physicist developed the mathematical basis for stealth technology 40 years before the US used it to build weapons systems. Just because we don’t understand the research or it hasn’t been used yet doesn’t mean it isn’t important. In 100 years when the AIs have murderized mankind they’ll probably be using Hawking’s theories in everyday life.

How many people even know the contemporary practical uses of relativity? Bet if you asked the average person they’d say it has no practical use.

11. assjuice cyrus

Yea, that's it.

That's who I honestly Thought it was.

12. Critter

Critter Registered

Yah know if he would have died just a few days earlier he could have ridden in Musk's car to space

13. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

He led his people, the Kaleds, to final victory in the thousand year war over the Thals.

Robin172 likes this.
  14. PMooney Jr.

PMooney Jr. Chasing the Old Man

You expect this guy to know who Albert Einstein is after this revelation? Lol

HPPT and Rain Director like this.
  15. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Crap, good point :D

Rain Director likes this.
  16. Rain Director

Rain Director Old guy

You suck.
    You forgot The Big Bang Theory. :rolleyes:

Yzasserina likes this.
  17. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I didn't forget it, I just assumed he didn't watch it and went with the cartoons :D

assjuice cyrus and Rain Director like this.
  18. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Big bang theory is the only TV show I've seen him in. WTF is futurama anyway, sounds like some superhero cartoon?

19. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

No superheroes. Some good villains :D

20. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

And Peg Bundy with 3 big ones.

21. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Her boobs and eye?