1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need a new handgun...lets talk guns today. :D

Discussion in 'General' started by Kris87, Mar 17, 2010.

1. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

I previously mentioned a few brands to consider.
    Don't know the price range of Burris (they're owned by Steiner now), but they certainly qualify if the price is right.
    Sightron is another consideration.

Take a look at MidwayUSA or other gun accessory retailer's sites and plug in the variables - magnification, tube diameter, price, etc.

Going out on a limb, I'd say just about anything made in USA, Europe or Japan will be worth the money.
    Standing on solid ground, I'd say anything made in China that does not have a western MFG's oversight will be a disappointment. (You'll have to research the MFG to see who's doing the QA.)

If you really want an education on scopes, this guy's blog is unmatched for content. No one has ever independently produced such a full scale evaluation/review for public viewing. Tho' the products on the list are limited to $1500+, everything this guy does to test and evaluate is pertinent to any scope. None of it is fluff.
    When you're done reading it, nothing any MFG says will be misunderstood and you might even be able to read between the lines of BS marketing text.
    Tactical Scopes: Field Test Overview & Rifle Scope Line-Up - PrecisionRifleBlog.com
    Yeah, yeah, I know...re-post.
    Read all the posts in the series, there's fifteen. Seriously, it's worth the hours of reading just to realize the intricacies of an optics package. I had little idea that anyone ever tested to such levels and certainly, if they did, it was not info available to the public in one shot.

I do not know of any red dot/holo/laser comparison reviews. Not that they don't exist, but that I've never looked for 'em.

2. groundhogday

groundhogday Well-Known Member

Nice! I really want one of their 410 shotguns.

3. assjuice cyrus

assjuice cyrus Well-Known Member

Does anybody here mess with putting a red dot on there pistol?

I have an XDM I think I would like to put a red dot on. Thought after all the info you guys had on the AR sights, You could help me with the XDM stuff.

4. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

I’d put one on a big gun, but not something I’d ever carry concealed. Something like an FNX-45 maybe.

5. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

Back to handguns, I got a new Rock Island Armory M200. It is a basic 38 Special 4 inch service type revolver and it is cheap. I picked it up for under $250. It is way better than I expected it to be for that price. It has a black satin parkerized type finish that I happen to like, but I doubt that it is very durable and it has crappy grips that seem to work just fine and feel OK, but I hate them. The good news is that Colt D frame grips fit. I got it so I could have a heavier 38 than my Ruger XTR that I could shoot a lot. Since I only shoot my handloads I wanted something to use for load development. I also don't need to carry concealed most of the time so it will get plenty of use. At this price I won't worry if it gets lost in a boating accident. t seems nice and tight. The DA trigger is fairly heavy but pretty smooth without stacking at the end and the SA trigger pull is very light, maybe even too light for some, but perfect for me. I just like 38 revolvers and can't beat this one for the price.

6. assjuice cyrus

The XDM is a big gun. You might be thinking of the XDS.

7. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

I was actually surprised at the size and weight of the XDS compared to other single stack nines. It seems pretty hefty, no pocket gun for sure. I played around with one Friday but I'm not sure if it's going to work for me or not. It would be a workable IWB.

8. assjuice cyrus

Yea, its on my short list, but not to pocket carry, but more just cause I really the sprinfield guns.

Hard to beat the lc9 for pocket carry.

BrianC636 likes this.
  9. gt#179

gt#179 Dirt Dork

+1 on something big but for everyday use/carry they are too bulky right now. I have an RMR on an FNX and like it but haven't shot it much yet. If you want to put a red dot on something like a Ruger Mark series 22lr for just plinking or playing around, that's great but except for lasers and some lights, not much of a way to mount them.

assjuice cyrus likes this.
  10. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

11. Woofentino Pugr

Woofentino Pugr Well-Known Member

Thinking of having the slide of my poly80/G22 milled for a Vortex Venom. Not for CCW, but for competition shooting. No idea why someone would carry a pistol with a red dot. Would dig in your side and be at risk of getting broke.

12. Critter

Critter Registered

Nope it's a different one

13. wsmc 589

wsmc 589 Well-Known Member

Lots of people carry pistols with red dots. Especially those getting a bit older. Dig in your side? You taking IWB? All optics can break, that’s why you have BUIS.

As far as comp, the carry division is probably the fastest growing segment in USPSA. Max Michel won the Gator Classic this year carrying a $700 sig with a red dot. Sure does beat buying a $5000 unlimited gun.

14. tiggen

tiggen Things are lookin' up.

I am intrigued. I need to get my hands on one.

15. BrianC636

BrianC636 Well-Known Member

I carry a XDS 4.0 iwb, appendix in a cloak tuck 3.0. Put some Sig ameriglo sights on it and love it. I’m a Springfield guy too, EMP carry is my next gun for sure.

Had an LC380 and hated that effer with a passion. I could throw bullets more accurately that that thing, plus I wouldn’t jam every 3rd round. Replaced it with a G42 and hadn’t had a problem since.

16. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

Anyone have experience with a AEE Tanfoglio Witness in 9mm? Reviews sound good. Thinking about if a 3.6" would be a good carry gun. I carry a full size 1911.

17. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

Anyone have one of the cheap SAO 22lr revolvers?

Heritage Arms and Chiappa both make Colt copies that are $130-$150 for the 6-shot models. Chiappa also makes a 10-shot model that is about $180. I was considering one of those as a plinking gun. I've also considered the Phoenix Arms HP22a.

Or I could spend more and guy an SR22, or a 22lr conversion kit for my Glock (although for that price, I think I would rather have the SR22...)

18. gt#179

gt#179 Dirt Dork

buddy has the heritage and loves it. I have a colt w/ 22WMR cylinder and it's a great gun, but have no idea if they even make them any more or pricing. Think his Heritage was sub $200? What's a basic Ruger Mark IV going for these days? I really want a "hunter" version but too many other things before it on the list..

19. SPATT

SPATT In a gravel pit near you

If you can get over the weight I prefer my P238 to my LC9. Personal taste I guess but I really prefer metal to poly frames.

20. DucatiBomber

DucatiBomber DJ Double A

I have carried and XDS .45 on my ankle for two years.
    I love that gun.
    It’s my favorite carry and conceal gun.

Ride safe,
    AAron