1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

16.5 Tires/Slicks - Available anymore?

Discussion in 'General' started by jcivince, Mar 11, 2018.

1. jcivince

jcivince Well-Known Member

Was digging around in the attic the other day and came across some old 16.5 wheels for a GSXR I've been working on for YEARS (big time back burner project). Does anyone even make 16.5 tires or slicks anymore? Tried searching the WERA site but putting in tire/tires/slicks produces pages & pages of results. Google also didn't really have anything newer than 2012. I figure NO is the answer but thought I'd ask.
    Thanks!

2. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

Maybe Pirelli, but I think they were the pastimes with them available. Dont even bother with them unless you're building a display bike to sit in your mancave.
    I sold a couple sets of OZ wheel 3-4 years ago because they are pretty much obsolete

3. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

I think pretty much all racing orgs have dumped them. MA, MotoGP, BSB, WSBK, JSB are all on 17 inch hoops now.

Are you trying to find some to actually use on track or just to functionally display the bike?

4. racerx13

racerx13 Well-Known Member

Metzler makes a 16.5 Supermoto tire. I believe Dunlop started making a 16.5 SM tire too.

5. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

michelin and bridgestone make 16.5 supermoto front tires also, but I don't know if they will help him.

6. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

I remember getting the last 20 sets or so from Milan back in 2012 and it took like 9 months before they all finally sold. https://www.pirelli.com/tire/us/en/news/2012/10/18/16-5-inch-motorcycle-tires/ And I'm very familiar with the Metzeler 16.5 Supermoto tires and I can conform the construction and compounds are much different from a roadrace tire, but since there are no rears out there it is a mute point.

Magnesium wheels do have a service life so you should inspect carefully for cracks etc.

Jeff

7. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

I went through this a year ago and can assure you there are none left on the planet.
    That being said after riding on a set then riding on 17s the 16 felt like crap

MELK-MAN likes this.
  8. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Is that because you had 10 year old tires, some dude from California gave you. :D

Quicktoy and Gorilla George like this.
  9. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

Lol yeah I had a friend at pirelli run the codes and he strongly advised not to run them but it was still cool you gave them to me

MELK-MAN and Quicktoy like this.
  10. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Well, hopefully they can make it onto someone's living room or museum build, or the trash. Any of those is better than on a race bike and someone getting hurt.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2018
  11. BSA43

BSA43 Well-Known Member

Speaking of which, I think I still have an 18" Michelin rear slick.

Not rideable, of course, but if you're building a show bike . . .

12. jcivince

jcivince Well-Known Member

Thanks to everyone for the responses. I was kind of hoping to be able to run them at the track but that is all but impossible. Might try to figure out a way to mount them to a bicycle - I know I saw a picture of that some years ago. So does anyone have any old tires they want to get rid of? Take up room in my garage instead of yours!

13. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

I think I may have an old, new Michelin rear. Display use only. I'd have to look around for it, but if I still have it and you can have it, just cover shipping.

14. John Branch

John Branch 90125

Hey Jeff!!! Remember me? It’s been
    awhile how r u and Sandy doing?

15. SoCal1000

SoCal1000 Will work for tires

Where are you located?

16. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Maybe there's some MotoGP Bridgestones floating around out there in the aether (not likely). They were still being made until what, 2015?

17. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Bridgestone never sold MotoGP tires, and they controlled them like they were made out of gold. So if you wanted to do a independent test with a MotoGP bike you had to pay to have Bridgestone at the test and all the tires went home with Bridgestone afterwards.

Jeff

18. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

John Branch what up? Sandy and I are doing fine

19. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

Didn't MotoGP have a season or two where they were running 16" tires? Maybe it was just the fronts....can't recall.

20. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Back in the late 80s yes they did and I think in the 2000s the top class played with 16 fronts again, but was it Michelin or Bridgestone? Then a few years ago Michelin was working with 16" Super moto fronts but I'm not sure if they still are as 16.5s fronts rule the roost nowadays