1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Small batteries

Discussion in 'General' started by fastfreddie, Mar 6, 2018.

1. guzziguy

guzziguy Well-Known Member

really you need to check the individual cells, does your battery have a balance connector? You may see a change in the charge/voltage characteristic, or you may just lose capacity, you'd have to do a charge/discharge cycle to check capacity, a good charger will do that and monitor individual cell voltages as well so you can see if one cell is about to croak

Steeltoe likes this.
  2. badmoon692008

badmoon692008 Well-Known Member

Another vote for Speedcell here

3. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

I figured old age (decades?) and corrosion would be these batteries only downfall to life, assuming no defect. Of the MFGs, few mention water resistance or waterproofing and one even kinda said "Don't get it wet".
    Immediately crossing off any MFG that didn't mention "weatherproof-ness" or their site had no info whatsoever in that regard/told me to go to YouTube, FB, et al (those were "no" qualifiers for me) and being basically the same (some of 'em are just re-branded) and some of 'em I didn't even bother to look at (BatteryTender), I had to find something to make my decision valid in my mind.

Ballistic talked about gettin' the battery wet and what to do about it, they're readily available (Parts Unlimited/Drag Specialties) and they are a Millenium Technologies company. Pretty much pegged the validity meter as far as it could go.
    I'm goin' with the Ballistic EVO2 4 cell. Speedcell was a close second.

Thanks for y'all's input.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2018
  4. Littlehat

Littlehat Well-Known Member

Anyone have experience with the ballistic batteries for the 450 thumpers? The battery died on my 2004 KTM 450 and the thing is pretty hard to kick start unless the valves are freshly in spec. Doesn't look like the 8 cell will fit, but should have plenty of room for the 4 cell.

5. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

Talk to Cajun kid on here, he works for ballistic and had a ktm450 supermoto.
    Also I think melka rides ktms

6. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

103-011L is the model they recommend

7. Littlehat

Littlehat Well-Known Member

Thanks I'll check in as my bike is also a SMR, but the bikes listed on their website is for the EXC.

8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Same motor right?

9. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

It might just be a matter of getting a battery box from a different model to hold a bigger battery. That's what I did with my 09 300XC-W, I put a four stroke batt box in to go from a 5Ah to 7Ah battery.

10. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

I can get you various sizes of those connectors. They use them in forklifts. Let me know what you need, I will get them for you at cost.

11. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

Have you ever seen the light blue ones before?

12. Boman Forklift

Yes. I just need to know what size. There maybe a number on them depending on brand, the standard sizes are:

SB50 - Small, maybe a 50 cent or $1 coin size
    SB175 - medium in between
    SB350 - large, size of a pack of cigarettes.

Colors are different to keep you from plugging in the incorrect voltage/amperage charger into the wrong battery. If you aren't worried about that, you can break out the middle tab and any color will connect with each other.

13. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

Yeah, I work on fork lifts/pallet jacks frequently. I use gray, orange and red plugs(36,24&12v), and thought blue was a darker blue, but don't have any on sight.

14. Boman Forklift

My blue ones are a light sky blue. I'm not sure of all the available colors but I have gray, sky blue and red. Let me know if I can help you.

15. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

Thnx for the offer. I don’t wanna deal with the extra complexity of two small batteries just to save a pound. I’m already one of the lightest guys on the grid hehe.

16. stickboy274

stickboy274 Stick-a-licious Tire Dude

If you want a really small battery to run on, but don't mind using another for jump starting, get a Ballistic 4 cell, and a backpack. It's a neat thing they offer for jump starting and can be used to charge your phone, go pro, etc. We stock both in the trailer at the races we cover. Come by and check them out.

17. I have used the 4 cell MOTY for years in my R6. Gotta keep it warm on those cool mornings though..

rps20180312_001659.jpg