1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Small batteries

Discussion in 'General' started by fastfreddie, Mar 6, 2018.

1. Kyle602

Kyle602 Well-Known Member

2. javyday

javyday Well-Known Member

badmoon692008 likes this.
  3. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Didn't mean to leave the MOTY off the list and, now, I'm addin' the Speedcell - might be the Iron Maiden soundtrack. :D

I'm gonna have to dig deep into the info to shorten the list.

4. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

5. YoshiHNS

YoshiHNS Mr. Slowly

As far as balancing, with an RC airplane background, I would think it beneficial to have a balancer on the battery. Since the lightweight batteries are made of separate 'cells', you can have each cell at a different voltage, but still get 12V at the terminals. Problems/lifespan issues happen when one cell is significantly higher or lower than the rest. A balancer keeps them all the same. But the motorcycle stator is already supplying a voltage at the high end of the batteries limit, so I wouldn't worry about it that much.

Another option is to make your own.
    https://www.buya123products.com/CellsList.php
    A123 is the good stuff. Bought some for a big RC plane, worked great. Still have a couple dozen from when they were only $4/ea for 'B' grade.

6. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

they likely would offer longer warranty, IF people didn't mess em up themselves. Either through faulty charging systems like a reg/rec allowing overcharge, a stator going bad and the battery is run down well below 9vt (NO lo battery will continue to function if drained pretty low), or someone putting on a regular battery charger for too long.

Is it possible you got a dud? maybe. Are there other good lo brands ? sure.. Is it possible 99.9% of the ballistics out there function as advertised, well after the 1 year full replacement warranty is over.. absolutely. I have a few of them (ballistic 8 cells) in roadrace bikes for years, and in dirt bikes that don't even have kick starters where i'm DEEP into the woods.. never gave it a thought that the battery would be a problem. I've toasted 2 of them. One was my ignition switch was left on my bike all the way to South Carolina from FL.. and another was the same thing. Left the friggin switch on in the garage over night after doing some engine testing. I like the lighter weight, over a battery that will come back from zero vt. ;)

7. lonewrench

lonewrench Mr.Charles

Speedcell 4 cell won the SuperStock championship running data as well.

Boman Forklift and flyingpig70 like this.
  8. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

Ever read a "Vortex sucks!" thread? Misuse or abuse of an item is hardly the concern of the end user.

Boman Forklift and MELK-MAN like this.
  9. BEi Racing

BEi Racing Well-Known Member

Speedcell!!! Made in the USA! Used by most of the MotoAmerica factory teams (even if they run someone else's decal on the fairing. Great customer service!

flyingpig70 and lonewrench like this.
  10. I abuse the shit out of batteries. Never had one that hasn’t went bad, even in my cars. That being said with the exception of my jeep battery that was only 6 months old I’ve never bothered taking any back because it’s due to my own carelessness.

My li-on power tools however I stay very on top of those keeping them charged.

11. You need to skip the last couple beers of the night. Save money on beer and lightweight battery. Or just feed the beers to the dog. Speedcell makes some great stuff, never heard of an issue.

12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I know of no batteries that have that kind of warranty - and I buy a lot of batteries between radios and vehicles and so on.

13. zstylem86

zstylem86 Well-Known Member

my only point was the warranty ballistick batteries offer isn't anything to jump up and down about. better than nothing, but i'm sure as hell i would get good support from other smaller companies despite not having an expressed warranty.

14. The best thing about Ballistic batteries is that there is probably a 99.9% chance that you will never need the warranty. So it is a moot point. The guy that expressed issues earlier, was the first time I have ever heard of an issue with them.

So in reality, the warranty is perfectly fine. The 1 year warranty will cover you in case you get that 1 in a million that is a complete dud. After it has proven to be good for a year, it will likely be good for 5-8 years.

For the record, I am not sponsored by Ballistic. I have no ties to them whatsoever and have paid full price for my batteries. I am commenting soley based on my experience with them on at least 8 different bikes.

MELK-MAN and Canadian Bacon like this.
  15. Stop talking out your ass just because you walked by someone’s pits and saw a battery.

Oh wait.... :). I love that subframe on the new bike. Who makes it? May have to look at a few if they make em for the 6.

16. Me too and I’m a prime example of a guy who kills batteries through my own fault. There’s probably more than 1 person who treats batteries like me then tries to get it replaced. For me 1) it’s my fault and I know it so I’m not going to try to f a company, especially a small one 2) I don’t have the time to even deal with that. Quicker to order a new one and wait on FedEx.

17. lonewrench

lonewrench Mr.Charles

No R6 just R1 2250.00

18. Repo Man 32

Repo Man 32 Lifetime Member

Batteries?!?!?

Wondering why you Women don't just kick start the bike...... Bunch of Pansies..... :Poke:

19. guzziguy

guzziguy Well-Known Member

make your own, buy A123 packs from a model shop and you can have what ever shape and size you want.

20. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

How can you tell when a battery is on the verge of death? Like I said I pulled my Ballistic just because it's old, nothing wrong with it. Rather not be caught out. Is there any way to meter one and determine how much life is left? Will the gizmos they use at auto places work for a lithium bike battery?