1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

More cooking stuff

Discussion in 'General' started by Mongo, Mar 2, 2018.

1. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

Y’all know this is the current hipster cooking method, right? :D

2. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

I thought the Instapot was the hot thing

3. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Even hipsters are right .1% of the time.

4. pfhenry

pfhenry Well-Known Member

"reverse sear" with "final elbow sprinkle" are the current literary terms that fall under the hipster classification. Sous vide is French for under vacuum. spooning garlic butter obsessively in a pan might be old school hipster.

5. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

Except he just blanket recommends against cold smoking. I think he's internet high and lawsuit shy. The kind of person that works on cold smoke techniques is likely the kind of person that understands process control just fine. I understand where he is coming from; just don't agree with it.

6. allenblaster

allenblaster Member

I work at a store that sells the Anova souS vide machine. I actually have one and use it almost every week. Rack of lamb comes out phenomenal too.

7. kz2zx

kz2zx zx2gsxr2zx

Mongo,

I'm not racing at the moment. But I'd come to an event - give me a target with a little room to prep - and cook you and Evelyne and anyone else nearby a Sapsis-special pastrami or five at a racetrack WERA weekend. Guaranteed not-too-salty.

Dave, maybe a cook-off for a WERA West race?

8. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

Sounds like fun, but I thought you were in Texas? You come back left-coastish? We are running some endurance races out in Texas, but some smoked meat in the July Buttonwillow heat sounds...sweaty. I'm there! <beer>

9. kz2zx

kz2zx zx2gsxr2zx

I need a reason for a vacation. Yes, Texas. I can do this...

10. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

Reverse sear a hamburger correctly and you won't give a shit what group came up with it. Did one for the first time last week. Very good.

11. pfhenry

pfhenry Well-Known Member

sear must be severe lol

12. Brad

Brad Swollen Member

I use a $3 styrofoam cooler with a hole in the lid and a kitchen towel filling the gap. 24 hour ribs with almost zero water loss. It does leak a little after awhile so it sits in a soft cooler. It could sit in a sink or outside and be fine though... Water is still warm 12+hours later if I don't dump it after the cook.....hmm, maybe time to try a brisket or butt.....

13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yeah I know, but it helps that I've known real cooks who have been using it for 10 years now :D

14. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Emil me a reminder to whichever you come to and I'll get you on the gate list.

Whatever works for you guys, you know I'm in!

15. 0.01% but it still counts as something positive.

16. My buddy did those last year, f ing phenomenal!

17. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

900w has been good for me. I do steaks and fish all the time. Salmon is amazing sous vide style. Probably heats up a little quicker than the 800w.

18. Jack Brock

Jack Brock Well-Known Member

Best corned beef I ever had was Iron Barley(on Diners Driveins and Dives) in St Louis. Somehow they smoke it too. Was insanely good.

dschumann likes this.
  19. kz2zx

kz2zx zx2gsxr2zx

I'll look at the schedule this afternoon when I get home

20. F$ck, I’m going to have to buy one now. It’s for a good cause, ya know so I can donate to aff through amazon.